PDA

View Full Version : Japanese kids prefer the NES to the PSP

wraggster
September 30th, 2007, 20:55
Via what japan thinks (http://whatjapanthinks.com/2007/09/29/japanese-kids-prefer-the-nes-to-the-psp/)

I haven’t looked at video games for a while, so I was glad to find this survey from goo Research on video game usage by children. Video games cover handhelds, TV-connected games and even PC-based gaming.

Demographics
Between the 25th of June and 13th of July 2007 1,165 elementary school children (or people claiming to be children) responded to a public questionnaire available on the Kids goo web site. The sample was 60.0% girls, 3.4% in first year of elementary school (ages six or seven), 5.0% in second year, 9.9% in third year, 20.3% in forth year, 26.9% in fifth year, and 34.6% in sixth year (ages eleven or twelve). Note that since this is a public internet-based survey there will definite sampling bias.

There’s so much great data in this survey! Q4SQ is perhaps my favourite; based on my casual observations, not surprisingly the DS totally dominates everything else. However, the other new portable, the PSP, is played less than the ancient Famicon and Super Famicon. I’m surprised that these two machines did so well; is this due to parents being cheap, to them having less worries about graphic violence in the older titles, not wanting to spoil the kids on photo-realism, or do kids really choose themselves to play these machines?

Note that this survey was conducted before the new PSP Slim sold quarter of a million units in one week.

Q4: What kinds of video games do you often play? (Sample size=932, multiple answer)
Portable games (PSP, Nintendo DS, etc) (to SQ) 68.8%
PC-based single-player games 67.8%
Television-connected console games (to SQ) 47.5%
Online games 22.5%
Mobile phone games 16.4%
Game arcade or shop game corner 10.8%
Other 6.7%

Q4SQ: What kinds of video games machines do you often play on? (Sample size=764, console and portable gamers, multiple answer)
Nintendo DS 82.2%
Nintendo Gameboy Advance 39.8%
Sony PlayStation 1, 2 or 3 37.4%
Nintendo Wii 35.3%
Nintendo Gamecube 31.4%
Nintendo Gameboy, Gameboy Micro 19.8%
Nintendo 64 15.2%
Nintendo Super Famicon (SNES) 15.1%
Nintendo Famicon (NES) 11.9%
Sony PlayStation Portable 10.5%
Microsoft Xbox 5.8%
Sega Saturn 5.1%
Sega Dreamcast 4.8%
Other 16.4%

cal360
September 30th, 2007, 21:01
The PSP can't be that unpopular many people like it and in my view it can acheive more than the DS, the only thing it doesn't have is super amazing games.

gamev8
September 30th, 2007, 21:19
Yes the only thing the PSP doesn’t have is the one thing it's supposed to. ;)

JKKDARK
September 30th, 2007, 22:07
wow kids prefer the Saturn over the Dreamcast

Vega
September 30th, 2007, 22:12
Between the 25th of June and 13th of July 2007 1,165 elementary school children (or people claiming to be children)

erm... ???

gelon
September 30th, 2007, 22:40
Super Mario Bros is one of the (if its not the) most sheller game ever

Do you await another answer???

I prefer PSP ^_^ (i have NES too and many other consoles)

lightningquickguy14
October 1st, 2007, 01:28
Nintendo all the way. I can't blame those kids.

Shadowblind
October 1st, 2007, 03:02
kids prefer the Xbox over the Dreamcast o_0

Veskgar
October 1st, 2007, 03:03
Well one of the reasons I like the PSP the best is because I can play NES on it. So in a way, I understand where those kids are coming from.

Show those kids a homebrew-enabled PSP and I'm sure they'll change their mind.

xg917
October 1st, 2007, 04:09
Well one of the reasons I like the PSP the best is because I can play NES on it. So in a way, I understand where those kids are coming from.

Show those kids a homebrew-enabled PSP and I'm sure they'll change their mind.

same opinion. there are so many people that are missing the joy of homebrew psps and i feel bad for them

Thanatos 2.0
October 1st, 2007, 04:10
Doesn't surprise me, even my Friends PSP pretty much has a complete library of all the classic NES and SNES games.

ab9003
October 1st, 2007, 04:30
same opinion. there are so many people that are missing the joy of homebrew psps and i feel bad for them

Me too, thats why I need to help all my friends get the best out of their psps possible ;)

Eyedunno
October 1st, 2007, 09:52
The PSP can't be that unpopular many people like it and in my view it can acheive more than the DS, the only thing it doesn't have is super amazing games.
Working a few times a month in Japanese elementary schools (including today), I can vouch for this survey. The kids don't care about the PSP. About the only group that the PSP sells to is high school students. For young kids and adults, the DS has no close competition among portables (and for adults, it has no close competition, period).

By the way, I know your period key isn't broken. You used it once at the end there, and now you just have to practice using it a little more.

quzar
October 1st, 2007, 12:57
The biggest thing that PSP users on this site don't seem to realize is that out of the lets say 25million PSPs sold, there are MAYBE 1 million people who have homebrew-enabled their PSP. So while you may consider something like real games for the system a sidenote, something to be downloaded and run through your ISO players when it suits you, to the other 96% of users, they are essential and what matters. To put that in simpler terms, if you were to get 24 other PSP users chosen at randomly into a room with you, odds are you would be the only one who is playing homebrew on it.

Not only that, but you should consider the age group that the system is targeted at vs the DS and who this survey was questioning.

mcdougall57
October 1st, 2007, 18:29
i wouldnt say the psp sucks but i only hav a few games that i like for it - monster hunter 2, tales of eternia, loco roco and tekken

Veskgar
October 1st, 2007, 19:00
The biggest thing that PSP users on this site don't seem to realize is that out of the lets say 25million PSPs sold, there are MAYBE 1 million people who have homebrew-enabled their PSP. So while you may consider something like real games for the system a sidenote, something to be downloaded and run through your ISO players when it suits you, to the other 96% of users, they are essential and what matters. To put that in simpler terms, if you were to get 24 other PSP users chosen at randomly into a room with you, odds are you would be the only one who is playing homebrew on it.

Not only that, but you should consider the age group that the system is targeted at vs the DS and who this survey was questioning.

Very good points you make. It speaks the truth. Who knows just how many homebrew-enabled PSP's there are out there. But one thing for sure is that the PSP's homebrew scene has had a bigger influence over how SONY handles the PSP than any other homebrew scene has ever influenced its maker.

NeoXCS
October 2nd, 2007, 08:26
Yeah I figure part of this is the fact that the PSP is more targeted for people who are older and/or are "gamers". The DS is more of a chlid friendly, casual game playing system. At least that is the crowd it wants to hit most. But with the huge amount of games it even hits home with old favorites for us gamers. :p Most kids like simple games anyway so thats why more like the NES as opposed to the PSP.