PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus and the PSP Slim + Lite

paintball1119
October 1st, 2007, 21:40
strmnnrmn (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/2007/10/daedalus-and-psp-slim-lite.html) updated his blog about his thoughts on making a daedalus for the psp slim only:

A number of people have been asking if Daedalus will support the PSP Slim and Lite (PSP-2000), and if it does, if it will take advantage of the extra 32MiB RAM to improve the speed of emulated roms.

I am planning on supporting 3.xx firmware, but not until I have a PSP with suitable firmware which I can test with directly. People will probably end up compiling the Daedalus source for 3.xx (and they're welcome to), but until I can verify everything directly myself these will have to remain 'unofficial' builds. If there is strong demand for a 3.xx version of Daedalus then I'll consider setting up a donations page with the aim of buying a Slim and Lite for development.

As for the additional 32MiB RAM that the PSP-2000 provides, it's unlikely that this will provide for faster emulation. I've spent a lot of time reducing Daedalus's memory requirements so that it runs comfortably in the 32MiB that the PSP-1000 provides (it's actually a fair bit less than this when you take out OS overheads etc.)

There are only two main areas of the emulator that would benefit from an increase in cache size. The first is the texture cache, which is only used when video memory is exhausted. I fixed a few bugs with this months ago which means that very few roms ever have to place textures in system memory.

The second place that would benefit from a cache increase is the ROM cache. In order to support roms larger than the PSP's system memory, I dyamically map pages of the ROM into the PSP's RAM on demand (rather like virtual memory on PCs.) If a page of the ROM that is requested isn't in the cache, I have to pause emulation as I load it from memory stick. Currently this cache size is 2MiB. It could be increased up to 32MiB which would fit most N64 roms comfortably, and would entirely eliminate paging while the emulator is running. This might give a small speedup, but I don't believe this is currently a significant issue even with the tiny 2MiB cache that is currently in use.

Increasing the dynarec buffers would be very unlikely to provide a speedup, as I've yet to see a rom where they fill up before they are flushed for some other reason (typically instruction cache invalidation.)

So in summary, yes, I will support the PSP Slim and Lite at some point, but no, it's unlikely to offer much of an improvement over the PSP-1000s (other than being slimmer and lighter, obviously :)

-StrmnNrmn

Sonicboy 101
October 1st, 2007, 21:46
Surely he won't neglect PSP-1000 users?

DarthPaul
October 1st, 2007, 22:23
Great to hear news about Strmn. :)

`The0n3
October 1st, 2007, 22:43
glad to see he is taking time on r13, its gonna be great.

Airdevil
October 1st, 2007, 22:54
how do i know that neither sonicboy or the0n3 actually read the article?

1. he stated in that article that the slim will not cause any kind of worthwhile speedup, and that he will only go and develop a 2nd build for the slim if the demand is high for it. He is letting 3rd party devs port it so its compatible with the slim. He is staying loyal to the psp-1000

2. The R13 build wasnt even mentioned once. While yes what you said was good, it isnt strictly what this topic is about.

Its nice to know that the original and better (IMO) psp is being stayed loyal to.

Sonicboy 101
October 1st, 2007, 22:59
how do i know that neither sonicboy or the0n3 actually read the article?

1. he stated in that article that the slim will not cause any kind of worthwhile speedup, and that he will only go and develop a 2nd build for the slim if the demand is high for it. He is letting 3rd party devs port it so its compatible with the slim. He is staying loyal to the psp-1000

2. The R13 build wasnt even mentioned once. While yes what you said was good, it isnt strictly what this topic is about.

Its nice to know that the original and better (IMO) psp is being stayed loyal to.

Actually, I did read the article.
Just after I made the post. Silly me :rolleyes:
Plus I couldn't be bothered to edit it out.
Anyway I knew the new RAM in the slim wouldn't make much of a difference...
But, like anyone else, I can't wait for the new release of Daedalus. :)
(If he wasn't going on with PSP-1000 I would have gone nuts anyway... lol)

MushiMushi
October 1st, 2007, 23:01
I am running Daedalus on my PSP Slim

PSPdemon
October 1st, 2007, 23:38
Surely he won't neglect PSP-1000 users?

accualy...hes saying that even with everything added on slim PSP's.... it wont be big enough ( or even really worthy ) of making a slim 2000 version only...

as said here...

So in summary, yes, I will support the PSP Slim and Lite at some point, but no, it's unlikely to offer much of an improvement over the PSP-1000s (other than being slimmer and lighter, obviously

i think the slim is kinda useless....since even though it has added ram and such ( tv out )... it would be useless to make slim only and fat only homebrew...

this is only my opinion..... but i think the slim is really useless...

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

-----------------

edit - sorry, took a long time to post it ( helped around the house... lol )

SpacemanSpiff
October 2nd, 2007, 00:31
Darn, I was hoping he'd give us a progress report on R13. It was originally supposed to be released this weekend, right? I suppose Strmn's been too busy to spend a lot of time working on it.

Zaitmi
October 2nd, 2007, 02:17
He also said that he might release it on the weekend of October. So you should expect a release probably this weekend. Of course that's not a 100% gaurantee, but he usually keeps his word.

CaptainMorgan4
October 2nd, 2007, 03:33
Yeah I can't wait, I'm going to get a online game of Madden 08 (iso) in to celebrate my PSP's unbricking.

grin.ch
October 2nd, 2007, 07:10
A donations page? Hey, I can't code but this dude has been coding this N64 emu for like a year now, w/ minor improvements. It's not even worth having, IMO. Maybe in another year it will be worth the download, but not now. And I'm not even sure this guy (Strmnnrmn) should get donations. He's always busy working, right? He can afford one. Esp w/ the lack of updates and lack of communication to his fans. His blog is updated sporadically, at best. (Last time I checked anyway). Don't get me wrong, I'm all about having an N64 emu for PSP and I'm thankful for Strmnnrmn's work, but where is this really going?

CaptainMorgan4
October 2nd, 2007, 07:26
Um yeah you better read up buddy because when R13 drops you'll be eating your words I guarentee that.

bah
October 2nd, 2007, 08:11
A donations page? Hey, I can't code but this dude has been coding this N64 emu for like a year now, w/ minor improvements. It's not even worth having, IMO. Maybe in another year it will be worth the download, but not now. And I'm not even sure this guy (Strmnnrmn) should get donations. He's always busy working, right? He can afford one. Esp w/ the lack of updates and lack of communication to his fans. His blog is updated sporadically, at best. (Last time I checked anyway). Don't get me wrong, I'm all about having an N64 emu for PSP and I'm thankful for Strmnnrmn's work, but where is this really going?

I truly cannot think of a strong enough collection of derogatory words to effectively dismiss that as the ramblings of a complete moron that it is.

This is a ****ing huge undertaking, it started out dam impressive and has come a long way since then.
This is something StrmnNrmn has chosen to spend his spare time on, of course hes 'always busy working', I would assume he likes to eat and have a roof over his head as you do.

The guy has put countless hours into it and asked for nothing, MANY people including myself greatly appreciate that and do enjoy the fruits of his labour.

He even only said he would consider a donations option if there was enough demand for him to put the time into working on a psp2000 version, in order to buy one to develop/test it with. Considering many homebrew authors have donation links this is FAR from unreasonable.
I doubt they generate that much income for the author as only a very small % of even those who really enjoy the app will donate, but giving people the option to give a small token of their appreciation is nothing to deride. Especially when its for a project that is as big and ambitious as n64 emulation on the PSP.

He updates his blog when he has news, considering he doesn't even have a donation option at this point, what exactly are you proposing? That your $0 contribution entitles you to daily updates on what he has done with that $0, and that he should have achieved more since the last update?

Seriously man, saying your thankful for the guy's work after the rest of that tripe is a major contradiction.

Even if you had written a 64 emulator that gets equivalent results, saying that deadalus is not worth having would still be a pretty rude thing to say.

StrmnNrmn: Any news/updates you release, whenever you are able, are always greatly appreciated :)

Spotfist
October 2nd, 2007, 08:38
wow that is pretty harsh grin.ch, I know Daedalus isn't 100% but seriously I don't see anyone else doing N64 emulation and what we have so far is pretty good!

I can't wait for the next release!

Murdock
October 2nd, 2007, 12:18
He's always busy working, right? He can afford one. Esp w/ the lack of updates and lack of communication to his fans.

I honestly don't see any reason to make a donation, but more due to the fact that I don't think ppl. should be payed for what they themselves see as a hobby (coding PSP apps).

But what you've written up there is the worst, crappiest and dumbest sentence 've read for quite a while.

You seriously wanna tell me that s/o who makes an application because its fun for him should buy a piece of hardware on his own account, just beacuse some people who are UNKNOWN to him demand a version of his application or this piece of hardware?!

I mean this is not about whether or not he can afford buying a Slim ... it's about the fact that he doesn't even want one! He has a old one and that's sufficient. But if ppl. want him to make the game 100 % Slim proof, he needs one. So it should not be up to him to buy one, since he doesn't even give a damn about this revised PSP.

Damn ... this is ungratefullness at it'S best ... telling talented coders to buy hardware they don't even want on their own account, just to satify SO CALLED "fans" ... :mad:

I won't donate, but because, as I said, I do not believe hobby coders should be payed for their hobby, just because it is of use or some others. Honestly, I don't even think software companies should be payed, but because they are just too greedy :p

RDToT
October 2nd, 2007, 12:31
its gonna be cool :D

Airdevil
October 2nd, 2007, 13:52
grin.ch, do you have ANY idea how much work and effort goes into ANY kind of emulation? I seriously doubt you do, because any emulation is an achievement in my eyes. Now, when it comes to an N64 emulator on PSP, thats a challenge, because a lot of people think that it cannot be done, when a lot of roms are now fairly playable! Have you even tried R12 with mario 64? jesus

You complain about having lack of updates? StrmnNrmn updates users a hell of a lot more than other coders do. Especially with the inner workings of how hes doing each part of his emulator, and how he goes around the limitations of the psp. Hes a lot more informative then most!

The reason for a donations page is because StrmnNrmn does not want a slim! because they really is no point when its so similair to the original. So why should he go out and buy the slim when he doesnt even want one, to satisfy people who he doesnt know and are ungrateful (ie YOU). You say your all for it, but your just being ungrateful and selfish.

Emulation just doesnt occur out of no-where, you seem to think that creating one is just a walk in the park. I would seriously love to see u contribute something to the scene that is even 1% what this emulator is at the moment, let alone what it will be when its reached its optimum.

The answer to your last question ("where is this really going?") is that if you look at how much the emulation has improved in the last year, with still plenty of optimisations that can be made, just imagine how good this emu will be in 6 months.

You are actually a disgrace to the scene. Its people like you which made coders give up and stop development.

IM back!
October 2nd, 2007, 21:06
I honestly don't see any reason to make a donation, but more due to the fact that I don't think ppl. should be payed for what they themselves see as a hobby (coding PSP apps).

But what you've written up there is the worst, crappiest and dumbest sentence 've read for quite a while.

You seriously wanna tell me that s/o who makes an application because its fun for him should buy a piece of hardware on his own account, just beacuse some people who are UNKNOWN to him demand a version of his application or this piece of hardware?!

I mean this is not about whether or not he can afford buying a Slim ... it's about the fact that he doesn't even want one! He has a old one and that's sufficient. But if ppl. want him to make the game 100 % Slim proof, he needs one. So it should not be up to him to buy one, since he doesn't even give a damn about this revised PSP.

Damn ... this is ungratefullness at it'S best ... telling talented coders to buy hardware they don't even want on their own account, just to satify SO CALLED "fans" ... :mad:

I won't donate, but because, as I said, I do not believe hobby coders should be payed for their hobby, just because it is of use or some others. Honestly, I don't even think software companies should be payed, but because they are just too greedy :p why do you always flame people for little or no reason?

is that all you ever do on forums?

anyways im happy to se that he wont abandon our fats.

Airdevil
October 2nd, 2007, 22:04
why do you always flame people for little or no reason?

is that all you ever do on forums?

anyways im happy to se that he wont abandon our fats.

Im not sure about other experiences, but grin.ch deserved what that guy said, you cant say he didnt.

IM back!
October 2nd, 2007, 23:52
Im not sure about other experiences, but grin.ch deserved what that guy said, you cant say he didnt.

Ok ya i reread his post and saw the I'm not even sure this guy (Strmnnrmn) should get donations part and changed my mind about the post

Murdock
October 3rd, 2007, 12:12
Ok ya i reread his post and saw the I'm not even sure this guy (Strmnnrmn) should get donations part and changed my mind about the post

I seriously hope so ... my question to ur first reply on what I'm saying was "why do U always flame (what a dumb word) me for attacking ppl. talking entire nonsense?"

Come on, read what those ppl. which I am attacking say ... it's total crap and I think s/o should tell them ... a lot of ppl. don't like me because of my manners. I mean, I just don't care about this "political correctness" bullsh|t. There are things that have to be said and if no1 does, I don't mind :o I just don'T mind stepping on ppl.'s toes ... Why should I? I mean I don't know these guys. The only thing I can evaluate is what they write. And if that's sense- and pointless, they are the deers and it's hunting season :D .... or let's call 'em fair game :)