PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Airplanes Ban Next-Gen Handheld Gamers

wraggster
October 2nd, 2007, 20:22
Via OLGN (http://www.olgn.net/archives/japanese-airplanes-ban-next-gen-handheld-gamers)

Playing wireless hand-held video games on Japanese airplanes no longer will be allowed after a revised law enforcing an earlier ban went into effect Monday. This includes PSP and the DS (but not Laptops) Also wireless computer mice and headphones that are not provided by the airlines have also been banned aboard flights. Battery chargers and toys that give off electronic sounds can’t be used during take-offs and landings, the ministry said.

Hold on here is the Good stuff - The law also has been relaxed to now allow the use of electric razors, calculators and cassette players. (Give me an F-ing break here!! Cassette players, Does anybody even still own one?)

Previously, passengers were only asked by the airlines to refrain from using gaming systems with built-in wireless functions, like Nintendo’s popular DS or Sony’s PSP.

It seems the problem lies with the handhelds’ built-in wireless functions, which, Japan’s transport minister has declared, have the ability to interfere with aircraft navigation systems and well that could be bad. Passengers will still be allowed to play game devices which don’t have wireless functions, so break out your old Game Boy because that’s about all your going to get to play.

zauberer
October 3rd, 2007, 03:49
Can they interfere?

Well we should send this to the Mythbusters (Discovery Channel) so they can check if this is true.

mastersho
October 3rd, 2007, 04:52
That's cool I'll run the DS emulator on my laptop. The Japaness may live in the future but I can milk any loop hole(If you can call it a loop hole)

ButterBeer121
October 3rd, 2007, 22:13
Can they interfere?

Well we should send this to the Mythbusters (Discovery Channel) so they can check if this is true.

During the cell phone on a plane myth they discovered that the wireless signals did not interfere with the navigation, but with new cell phones coming out every month, one of them could have a new signal that does interfere with the signal, so just to be safe they made a law against calling somebody.