PDA

View Full Version : PS1 Games Still Compatible with 40GB PS3

wraggster
October 7th, 2007, 19:48
This new model does not contain the PS2 chip and will not feature backwards compatibility through software emulation either. SCEE said this reflects "both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas)."

GameDaily BIZ also contacted SCEE spokesman Nick Sharples who told us, "We have made clear on many occasions that our priority is on developing innovative new features and services for PS3 and not on backwards compatibility. The 40GB model no longer contains any elements of the PS2 chip set which powered backwards compatibility in previous models, and is therefore only compatible with PS one titles."
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17683

Sonicboy 101
October 7th, 2007, 19:53
Why Sony? Why take PS2 compat away and keep PS1?

Anonymous D
October 7th, 2007, 20:00
i assume this is because of the ps1 titles on the psn store, if it wasnt compat you cudnt use the network content. though how many of us rly wanted back compat for ps1 games? not as much as ps2 ill bet.

Basil Zero
October 7th, 2007, 20:24
I'll get the 60gb thank you, or until a better model comes out, or even 80gb xD

Hawq
October 7th, 2007, 20:45
$ony man #1 'I've got a great idea for what to do with the PS3'
$ony man #2 'What is it?'
$ony man #1 'Lets remove features that people may want to use, especially when we eventually stop making the PS2'
$ony man #2 'Genius'

DPyro
October 7th, 2007, 21:49
Meh, if people really want PS2 compatibility they'll buy the higher spec version.

JKKDARK
October 7th, 2007, 23:02
People care more about the PS2 compatibility because it's the console they have to replace.

VexnadFett
October 7th, 2007, 23:22
great for early adopters; bad for lolly gaggers who waited far too long to get one...
not sony's fault i say, everyone wanted the price to drop so now you have it
be careful what you wish for

iniquitous_beast
October 8th, 2007, 01:57
Why Sony? Why take PS2 compat away and keep PS1?

I can answer that one. Sony has not made a full ps2 emulator. Even the ps3 consoles which offer ps2 software emulation still have some ps2 components inside, such as the Graphics Synthesizer, I believe. By removing those parts, Sony can save even more money on making the PS3, but it makes their current software emulator useless.

Ps1 games however, are run entirely on PS3 hardware with a complete Ps1 emulator. Since PS1 games require no special hardware, they are guaranteed to be compatible with every possible version of Ps3.

It is possible that in the future, Sony might make a complete, full-featured Ps2 emulator that runs entirely on the Cell and RSX chips. Then Ps2 backwards compatibility will once again be available; but for now, Sony obviously does not want to invest the incredible amount of time and resources into making such an emulator. I guarantee you that they will have one made in time for the PS4's release though.

IamAbe
October 8th, 2007, 05:39
i have a 60gig and not a single ps3 game. i got ninja gaiden, beat it, and sold it. all i use it for is ps2 games (and im waiting for r&cf:tod). anyway, i think this is just sony's lame excuse for stalling while they finish developing a releasable ps2 emulator, my guess is it'll be in fw2.00. they'll probably hype it up as a 'big surprise' or some bs. lol, poor predictable sony :rolleyes:

edit: hehe, didn't read iniquitous_beast's post...

JKKDARK
October 8th, 2007, 16:11
great for early adopters; bad for lolly gaggers who waited far too long to get one...
not sony's fault i say, everyone wanted the price to drop so now you have it
be careful what you wish for

Price reduction is not backward compatibility reduction

eatnooM
October 8th, 2007, 17:15
Price reduction is not backward compatibility reduction

True, however it is a result of it. Apparently that's the only way Sony felt like they could get away with charging less for it at this moment.

F9zDark
October 8th, 2007, 23:02
People care more about the PS2 compatibility because it's the console they have to replace.

Something we agree on! :thumbup:

Seriously though, this was certainly a stupid move on Sony's part. From what I have read there are anywhere between 120 to 170 million PS2s out there.

If launch PS3's didn't have any backwards compatibility, I would not have purchased it. I have a decent PS2 game library and to think that I'd have to keep my last gen console after having just bought the next gen console from the same company, I'd be very angry.

Way to dig you're own grave Sony. Although I suppose people will have to make sacrifices, had Sony left BC in this new console they could get many, many of their money-concerned last gen faithfuls.