PDA

View Full Version : PSP: Buying Info . . .(Homebrew Related)

barry181091
October 8th, 2007, 01:32
Hello,

I am researching the PSP now and specifically the homebrew part of the scene. Im thinking of getting a psp for my bday this month and I want your honest opinions. Is the PSP (Slim or whatever) worth buying JUST for the Homebrew software/games etc etc ??? I actually had a PSP a few years back , just a few months after launch but didnt like it cos it was very heavy, no homebrew and the games were sub-par tbh, albeit the screen was brilliantand movies were great(but the weight let it down there). So now im thinking of getting a Slim and want to know is the PSP worth buying primarily for the HB ??

Thanks Alot,
Barry.:thumbup:

PS : I decided to do a poll too but comments are REALLY appreciated, not just a click of a poll.

Tesseract
October 8th, 2007, 01:45
Homebrew was the main reason I bought my PSP (although Loco Roco was a big factor as well!)

There's really nothing like being able to take emulation on the road. Not to mention being able to put your own PSX games on the PSP with a small amount of effort.

At this point, though, the debate between Phat and Slim is something to consider. Right now, the Slim has problems with some homebrew that was written specifically for the 1.5 kernel. Granted, it's expected that that difficulty will eventually be overcome, but it could prevent you from using the console to its fullest.

The only problem with the Phat is that SONY upgraded the amount of internal memory in the Slim PSP, so that new homebrew might be written to take advantage of that. The Slim also has built-in Video-Out, which could be quite awesome with Homebrew.

It's definitely a tricky choice, but the choice is not whether to get a PSP or not, but WHICH PSP to get.

barry181091
October 8th, 2007, 01:57
Thanks alot for your reply :):)

Well we are almost guarenteed that the Slim HB problem WILL be sorted out ? Its just WHEN, yes ?

Barry.

Tesseract
October 8th, 2007, 02:17
I'd have to say 'yes'. There hasn't been a curve that SONY's thrown this homebrew community that we haven't adapted to yet. It can take 6 days or 6 months, but I believe it will happen.

barry181091
October 8th, 2007, 02:23
. . . .6 months :D :D Nooooo .

Well they already have had muuch stride with hacking the Slim ,I have read . . So this last thing shouldnt take too long ? ''Say it isint so'':rofl:

Tesseract
October 8th, 2007, 02:38
Naw.... probably not. I'm just recalling the gap between Downgrader breakthroughs before the Pandora Battery. Those were always the most difficult nuts to crack.

The Slim wasn't built to EVER natively handle 1.5 because it was never released with that firmware in the first place like the Phat was. It'll take some tricky programming to get it to work but again... I have faith someone will figure it out.

Since the hackers don't have to worry about downgraders and building CFW from scratch right now, I'd be willing to bet that most of the energies of the more renowned (Team C+D, noob, etc.) are focused on the Slim and bending it to the whim of the Scene.

barry181091
October 8th, 2007, 02:41
Phew ! :D So . . . Do you think I should get a Slip or a Phat , All things accounted for ? In yopur opinion ?

Barry.

Kamut
October 8th, 2007, 16:11
I say go for a slim,
Its way lighter, coated in enamel (looks more shiny), buttons are supposed to feel better, double the internal memory...

As for homebrew Ive been researching this and it seems most emulators and stuff can still work with the slim on 3.60 m33, as there is a high demand for homebrew developers to port their stuff over to the slim, I think we can expect the situation to improve.

Currently there are quite a few apps running on 1.50 that wont run on slim, but theres also a lot
running perfectly especially the emulation looks promising, plus you can have the thrill when an application/emulator you want is ported to the slim!
Feel yourself leveling up your psp lol.

Edit, these might help:

www.pspslimhomebrew.com

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75699

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75629

barry181091
October 19th, 2007, 11:57
Come on guys, I need more feedack and submit to m poll !

Barry.:thumbup:

murgero1
October 19th, 2007, 14:15
Try getting a used "PHAT" psp it has the speakers on the bottom!!!!! if the fw is 3.50 and lower go for lummines exploit!!!!! and downgrade!!!!