PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye dollar, hello QUID: intergalactic currency proposed

Shrygue
October 8th, 2007, 18:06
via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/08/goodbye-dollar-hello-quid-intergalactic-currency-proposed/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/10/quidinhard.jpg

Does it say something about our priorities as a species that before space tourism has even been proven safe for and desirable to the masses, people are already coming up with ways to spend money in zero gravity? Well according to a group of researchers from the University of Leicester and the UK's National Space Centre, the payment methods we use here on Earth would not make for viable space currency -- due to sharp edges or radiation-prone magnetic strips -- and would need to be replaced with something more suited to the environment.

Enter the Quasi Universal Intergalactic Denomination (or QUID -- clever Brits), a stackable, molded chip made of the same material used in non-stick pans, and lacking the chemicals or sharpness inherent to paper, plastic, and coins. The inventors peg the current exchange rate for the QUID at £6.25 to 1Q, which seems not only completely arbitrary, but fairly unnecessary, considering that we'll have already spent all our Earth money (and probably re-financed the house) to pay Sir Richard for the damn flight.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/10/allquid.jpg

Sonicboy 101
October 8th, 2007, 18:09
What the....
Intergalactic currency?
What next, Monopoly money is gonna be real? (I wouldn't mind it though. :p)

ExcruciationX
October 8th, 2007, 18:09
:rofl:

Shadowblind
October 8th, 2007, 18:10
Ex....what have you done?! :mad: :D

Shrygue
October 8th, 2007, 18:17
Ha, I knew someone would comment in no time after I tacked this up. Hmmm, yes, intergalactic currency sounds like a good idea. Nice to know that this was thought up by us folks in Britain.

Accordion
October 8th, 2007, 19:35
But:

£1=1 quid.

Elven6
October 8th, 2007, 19:37
What a stupid Idea, the EU has been doing stupid crap like this for a while. Let things be!

Nicko01
October 8th, 2007, 20:37
I dont like you Elven6. First of all- HDDVD and 360, second of all, EU is not stupid, 3rd of all this is not a stupid idea. (yes, it is really funny.)

By the way, where can i buy some of this stuff? lol

bowmessage
October 8th, 2007, 21:33
it reminds me of those tops that you'd start to spin with the electronic spinner, and stack them one on top of antoher, all spinning. It'd be fun for children :].

PLZKLLME0080
October 8th, 2007, 21:55
now we just need to start building shops on Mars for our astronauts to go to.

cal360
October 8th, 2007, 21:58
What is there right now in space to actually spend that money on. Has the international space station got a bar :D.

ish420ism
October 9th, 2007, 05:53
:eek: I could use that to buy me some spacepussy

mcdougall57
October 9th, 2007, 14:27
What is there right now in space to actually spend that money on. Has the international space station got a bar :D.

well what if ur a stranded astronaut and need a lift, i doubt the russians will accept pounds or dollars haha

these look cooler than notes or coins i wouldnt mind owning one for novelty value