PDA

View Full Version : PS3 a "waste of time" says Valve's Newell

Shrygue
October 11th, 2007, 18:39
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29513)

In an interview with EDGE Magazine, Valve's Gabe Newell didn't mince words when it came to his dislike of the PS3.

"I think [PS3 is] a waste of everybody's time," he said. "Investing in the Cell, investing in the SPE gives you no long-term benefits."

"There's nothing there that you're going to apply to anything else. You're not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they've created. I don't think they're going to make money off their box. I don't think it's a good solution," he continued.

Newell has criticised Sony's console in the past, once referring to it as "a total disaster on so many levels."

Nevertheless, Valve's The Orange Box, recently released for the PC and Xbox 360, will soon appear on the PS3.

"I think the people who have The Orange Box on the PS3 are going to be happy with their game experience," Newell said.

"We've done the PC and 360 versions here and EA has a team doing the PS3 version – and they'll make the PS3 version a good product; EA got the job done in putting a lot of people with PS3 experience on the project.

"But I think it's harder to get it to the same standard as the 360 and PC versions."

ElRazur
October 11th, 2007, 19:12
Coincidence that he dismissed ps3, yet seem to pimp his own game? I stopped taking him serious after that.

F9zDark
October 11th, 2007, 20:57
Well its funny, actually. Valve devs came out about a month or so ago, proclaiming the PS3 and saying they maxed out the 360 with TF2.

The interview made all the rounds and suddenly it was gone. So I searched around some more and found out the reasons; Gabe Newell had it pulled.

You fat bastard, you gotta stop this bullshit hatred you have with the PS3. You're not the one who has to write the code for it, so wtf do you care?

In spite of the donut hoarding bastard, I will BUY the Orange Box for the PS3, although I do have a brand new computer and own HL2 for PC. (In fact I should just not buy any more Valve products; leave the rhetoric and political shit to yourself and make good games, thats all we care about.)

Accordion
October 11th, 2007, 21:25
I think i would take all this anti PS3 hardware discussion more seriously if MGS4, and perhaps more importantly RAGE and id Tech 5 didn't exist.

seeing as they do exist, it becomes obvious that it is all centered around making life easier for the developers[wallets] which is fine, but looking at id tech 5 seems to work on all systems with no problems.[and no complaints]

JKKDARK
October 11th, 2007, 23:04
yeah, you will not get the pc/360 success on the PS3 :p