PDA

View Full Version : Orange Box beats Bioshock, Halo 3

Shrygue
October 11th, 2007, 20:02
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=173501)

Valve's Orange Box compilation burst its way onto Steam yesterday, the reviews have begun to go live, and early indications show its average review score of 98 (so far) is going to beat both Bioshock and Halo 3.

Retail versions have to be released over here but if you're a subscriber to Steam, then you've probably already finished Valve's opus of games.

You can read our review of Half-Life: Episode 2 here, Team Fortress 2 here and Portal on 360 here.

It's early days yet though as there are a few paper magazines that are still sitting on a boat somewhere, slowly making their way to the newsstand. We'll keep an eye on it though.

Could this be the highest scoring game of the year?

BrooksyX
October 11th, 2007, 20:26
Ill probably pick this game up before the end of the month for xbox 360. Its worth the $60, but I just dropped $60 on Halo 3 so I want to get a little more mileage out of it before I buy another game.

Malksta
October 11th, 2007, 21:17
They are all awesome games, I just finished Episode Two and Portal, It is totally worth whatever price tag it has :P

Elven6
October 11th, 2007, 21:26
Well unlike Bioshock or Bungie, Valve had something to work with, all they did was compile their best selling games that recieved high ratings. If they reciveved high ratings alone of course they will do better together.

DarthPaul
October 11th, 2007, 22:59
I don't think it will finish with a score higher than BioShock's. But who knows, I'm a bit unsure. But about Halo 3's.. yep, this will have more than Halo 3's. But I think it's too early to post a thread with this title, BioShock had 99% once.. with more review sources than this at the moment.

Shadowblind
October 12th, 2007, 02:47
If it wasn't for multiplayer, no this game would stand no chance against Bioshock. Therefore....

Bioshock = Single greatest Single player game on earth
orange Box = Single greatest compilation of Multiplayer greatness on earth.

Malksta
October 12th, 2007, 05:14
The Orange Box would probably still be getting these reviews, even without TF2( the only multiplayer part of The Orange Box ), Episode Two is amazing on it's own, but throw in another great game like Portal...

well, you know =p

BrooksyX
October 12th, 2007, 07:03
If it wasn't for multiplayer, no this game would stand no chance against Bioshock. Therefore....

I won't be buying it for multiplayer at all. I really want it to play through the whole Half-Life 2 story. I have only played the demo on the pc.

Ewan
October 12th, 2007, 13:53

The physics engine that Valve has come up with over the years is amazing. Now I cannot say much to Bioshock, as I'm one of the weirdo's that doesn't have it (and doesn't intend to get it at this point), but HL2 has been a staple for years now, and the chance for folks that never got the game to get into it basically for the price of admission for episode 2 is great.

And .. pOrtal is probably the most inventive and captivating games I've played in ages. I have vacation coming up next month that I'm probably going to blow going through the HL2 storyline, supposedly episode 2 has more story on the pOrtal building, as they are in the same universe.

bah
October 12th, 2007, 14:51
HL2 and its addons use Havok (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_%28software%29) physics (third party middleware), like many many other games.

Valve do a better job at integrating it with the gameplay than a lot of developers though.

pibs
October 14th, 2007, 10:58
I regret soo much not getting this :( instead i got that mediocre halo 3 that didn't live up to its hype.

kjetil1991
October 14th, 2007, 13:38
i love hl2 and everything valve got =)