PDA

View Full Version : Tiles not showing in GMDL

51N15T3R
October 11th, 2007, 20:41
I been recently having a problem in GMDL with some tiles not showing when I preview the area that I want to download a map of. This didn't happen before, but now it always does. I've tried re-downloading the program and still the same problems. I would like to have a map of the entire state of Pennsylvania (US) or at least the city of York, PA. with geodata.

And the program stops responding when trying to download a map. :(

deniska
October 12th, 2007, 05:37
can you post exactly what you do?
have you tried different vendors?

51N15T3R
October 12th, 2007, 06:50
I zoom in to the area I want, press preview 1x to see if its showing the correct area. Then title the map starting with an _ and click download map. I uncheck 1x zoom level and then download. The tiles not showing happens in gmdl when zooming in sometimes and previewing, random tiles show up unloaded (white tiles). Like I said when I first started using it I had no problems with this. recently it has been working ok. Also how comes the preview doesn't match what I'm seeing in the browser part?

An0nJ0hn
October 13th, 2007, 06:31
can you post exactly what you do?
have you tried different vendors?

I noticed this happening also but I figured it was my internet connection somehow losing the tiles.

Basically I do what I've always done.
-Launch GMDL
-Check Geo Data
-Click advanced button
-Adjust min zoom to 2 (map still nearly 2 gigs when finished)
-Scroll to area of interest on google map.
-Zoom in and out trying to find the balance of area I want
-Download map

It was more apparent/frequent when I was trying to remake the directions that I have been having problems with (see GMDL direction problems thread by oisuxx) although the missing tiles problem did not occur when I had the direction problems.

I figured to solve that problem I would just make the directions in multiple legs/parts.

When zooming in and out to check the directions in the departure and arrival cities random tiles would show up white. Sometimes one and sometimes so many that I could barely see any of the map (maybe four or so missing).

The directions still came out accurate though.

AlexRoxUrSox
May 17th, 2008, 11:08
I think there is a bigger problem now.
There is a bit of a scare that Google could perpetuate terrorism from the people I've contacted, (Some are google employee's working with the Google Earth division).

Basically, they are devising alogrithims to disallow certain pieces of maps from being retrieved after a threat system has shown that a person/IP is attempting to retrieve these pieces of a map sequentially. My advice to in7ane is to devise a way to retrieve the map pieces at random (Need not be true random as that is almost impossible). Either way, Google smells a rat.