PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Grafx-16

wraggster
October 15th, 2007, 22:00
Illegal Machine has released a new PC Engine emulator for the PSP, heres the release details:

By popular request... been getting a few messages for this one so here you go

this has the icon.pmf that shows the original Turbo-grafix TV commercial, among other things..

This is:

Slim Compatible

1.5 compatible

Just place the extracted folder into the GAME folder and place the roms in the Turbo Grafx-16 folder NOT a folder named ROMS.. Just put them all in the same directory as the EBOOT.PBP and above all

ENJOY

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Chameleon
October 15th, 2007, 22:05
Damn I have to go to work, i cant wait until i get home to try this...damn!!

Thanks Illegal Machine ;)

pibs
October 15th, 2007, 22:09
Nice work, Bonks here I come! lol

DimensionT
October 15th, 2007, 22:38
This is a nice surprise! But I can't get any games to work. I just get a black screen and have to return to XMB.

PSmonkey
October 15th, 2007, 22:51
mmmm

Now to mod this to do 480i out.

*drool*

JKKDARK
October 15th, 2007, 22:56
Nice, I like PC-Engine. Glad to see people still work on PC-Engine emulators, there are not many :)

tgm123
October 15th, 2007, 23:03
hows the speed and sound support? any good?

Veskgar
October 15th, 2007, 23:05
This is a nice surprise! But I can't get any games to work. I just get a black screen and have to return to XMB.

Yeah same here. What gives? Some games load up for me but a lot of the most popular games like Bonk's Adventure, Blazing Lazers, Bloody Wolf, Air Zonk, Dungeon Explorer, etc. all give me just a black screen. You can get back into the menu to pick a different game but this emulator seems very picky on what ROMs it supports.

Illegal Machine himself told me that he has gotten the games I mentioned above to work so it must be my ROMS but damn.

I was using ROMS from the PC Engine Offline Verified ROM Set.

If anyone can give me a hint *cough cough* on where to get ROMS that actually work for this emulator I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, this emulator is the Hue emulator, not PCEP. I'm not sure what version of Hue this uses but I'm guessing 0.70.

Having the original Turbo Grafx 16 TV commercial play as an animated EBOOT .PMF is so awesome. Really nice work sprucing up the EBOOT.

I always had a sweet spot for Turbo Grafx 16 for some reason. I'm so glad to be able to play it on the PSP Slim.

NoQuarter
October 16th, 2007, 00:03
Nice work,a friend was over last night playing rondo of blood on a turbo duo he brought over :P the same guy is selling me a neogeo cd system.

Anybody know if this supports supercd/supercd2?

sm1988
October 16th, 2007, 00:05
Try using the roms with (b1) or (b4) or so at the end of them i always had to use those for the bonk games try using those full rom names in google search something spiffy is bound to pop up.

jrsmaster411
October 16th, 2007, 00:54
All games I tryed work so far including bonks revenge and dungeon explorer

btw does anyone know how to play cd games?

edit: nvm answered my own question using google here's instructions incase anyone wants them

Q: How do I play PC Engine CD/TurboDuo games?
A: You must copy the ISOs and MP3s of the game zip to your memory card, along with a TOC (Table of Contents) file. You can then load the "Super CD-ROM2 System V3.00 (J).pce" rom and load the CD game. MP3s must be 44,000KHz 128Kbps stereo. (Google for how to convert your mp3s to the appropriate bitrate)

1. Create a text file for your ISO+MP3 CD image.
2. Go to http://www.necstasy.net/ to find the table of contents for your image.
3. Cut and paste the table of contents into the text file.
4. Save the file as "gamename".toc (i.e. DraculaX.TOC)
5. Place your game files with the TOC file into a folder on your memory card.
6. Load Hue.
7. Load the Super CD-ROM System rom.
8. Load the TOC file from your CD Game folder.

Poem58
October 16th, 2007, 02:26
Hmm...always game for a new PCE emu....the main emu reason I'm afraid to do the custom firmware upgrades.

By the way...It took a long time but I'm on custom Firmware 3.03OE and would like to upgrade. I don't want to lose 1.5 games and am confused by the newest offerings....if someone could be so kind as to PM me with what I should upgrade to...and maybe a quick how to...I'd appreciate it...it took so long to do the OE update that things moved way beyond and I lost track of everything....thanks....

Veskgar
October 16th, 2007, 02:53
Q: How do I play PC Engine CD/TurboDuo games?
A: You must copy the ISOs and MP3s of the game zip to your memory card, along with a TOC (Table of Contents) file. You can then load the "Super CD-ROM2 System V3.00 (J).pce" rom and load the CD game. MP3s must be 44,000KHz 128Kbps stereo. (Google for how to convert your mp3s to the appropriate bitrate)

1. Create a text file for your ISO+MP3 CD image.
2. Go to http://www.necstasy.net/ to find the table of contents for your image.
3. Cut and paste the table of contents into the text file.
4. Save the file as "gamename".toc (i.e. DraculaX.TOC)
5. Place your game files with the TOC file into a folder on your memory card.
6. Load Hue.
7. Load the Super CD-ROM System rom.
8. Load the TOC file from your CD Game folder.

Big thanks to you sir for those detailed instructions. I was always too lazy to hunt down a definitive way to play Turbo Grafx CD games on PSP.

I have a Turbo Duo system which includes the Gate of Thunder 3-in1 CD which also includes Bonk. How do I convert actual Turbo CD game discs (not downloaded game zips) to proper ISO+MP3 needed for this emulator?

I'm a collector and have been wanting to hunt down some Turbo CD games for my collection so knowing how to convert/rip the discs would be helpful.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. And thanks again jrmaster411.

Saracchini
October 16th, 2007, 03:51
Big thanks to you sir for those detailed instructions. I was always too lazy to hunt down a definitive way to play Turbo Grafx CD games on PSP.

I have a Turbo Duo system which includes the Gate of Thunder 3-in1 CD which also includes Bonk. How do I convert actual Turbo CD game discs (not downloaded game zips) to proper ISO+MP3 needed for this emulator?

I'm a collector and have been wanting to hunt down some Turbo CD games for my collection so knowing how to convert/rip the discs would be helpful.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. And thanks again jrmaster411.

Papito... teach how you can create an iso image and rip the audio is againts Dcemu´s rules ( i received an infraction once because i teached how convert ISO images) . But you can see a lot of tutorials including how repair damaged CDs and information about the correct TOC of every CD/Super-CD here - http://www.necstasy.net/ .

EvilDooinz
October 16th, 2007, 05:26
I tought .pmf files were illegal because you need the official SOE tools that were leaked

Exophase
October 16th, 2007, 06:05
Not to be too accusatory without much evidence but there's no readme included, and with this amount of information given I'm led to believe this is a port. It's probably violating the license of whatever source it's using, but that's not surprising since most emulators for PSP hosted here are as well.

Would like some confirmation that I'm wrong before looking at this more.

Illegal Machine
October 16th, 2007, 07:15
Not to be too accusatory without much evidence but there's no readme included, and with this amount of information given I'm led to believe this is a port. It's probably violating the license of whatever source it's using, but that's not surprising since most emulators for PSP hosted here are as well.

Would like some confirmation that I'm wrong before looking at this more.

Actually....

All I ever did was post this on ********** forums.... because people liked the Icon with the commercial.. that's it

Its NO DIFFERENT IN ANY WAY FROM THE LATEST VERSION THAT YOU CAN GET ANYWHERE..

Its not a port, its not a new release, its not anything new at all... all I did was run it through PSPBrew and add in what I thought looked good on the XMB

Man this is getting out of hand!!

If you guys want news then consider the fact that Chilly WIlly is VERY CLOSE to finishing the Media Engine version of the SNES emulator for the slim

that's news

b8a
October 16th, 2007, 08:02
Thanks for clearing that up, Illegal. I got excited for a second there thinking that someone was carrying the PCE emulation torch.

If anyone is actually looking at picking it up, e makes the source for e[mulator] publicly available, and it already has HuCard emulation down pat (I've thrown several dozen HuCards at it and they all run flawlessly), as well as the solid basics of S/CD emulation as well. It probably just needs to be modified to have better CD audio emulation and to dynamically load what it needs from data tracks instead of trying to load all of the data into memory at once. It's so well done and close to being finished that it'd be a shame to see someone start from scratch at this point. In fact, while I haven't had the free time to look into it too closely, Mednafen does do an excellent job of S/CD emulation, so I've got a strong hunch that you could probably patch up e[mulator] with Mednafen's audio processing routines fairly easily.

Illegal Machine
October 16th, 2007, 10:45
[QUOTE=b8a;532509]Thanks for clearing that up, Illegal./QUOTE]

Anytime.. I was kind of excited that I made the front page of several sites tho.. YAY me

Hey B8A if you would please be so kind as to request the source for DGEN from http://syn-k.sakura.ne.jp/dgen_psp/

that would be awesome... it seems as tho you might be one of the only people able to do so

thanks in advance if you can

saulin
October 16th, 2007, 10:50
Illegal I like the update but yeah for a moment I thought this was a new TG-16 emulator too. Untill I tried AirZonk and it locked up as soon as I moved the character.

Man someone really should update this TG-16 emulator. This emulator is so out of date. The same goes for the Snes emulator. This TG-16 emulator has so much potential too. Awesome sound and runs full speed. It just needs better compatibility.

GPeter7
October 16th, 2007, 21:17
:) It’s great emulator, but Air Zonk is not working, can you fix that? :mad:

b8a
October 17th, 2007, 10:16
To everyone having problems with certain games, here's a hint: there was never a game called "Air Zonk" released in Japan. Most PC Engine emulators are only setup to read dumps from Japanese chips.

Illegal: Isn't the source for DGEN floating around somewhere? I could've sworn that someone recently released a dodgy port of it for the Slim... If you know of any experienced developers who have a good reason for needing the source straight from syn-z then I'd be happy to try and get in touch for them. Until then I'd rather not bother him since I wouldn't know what to say -- half the time when people ask me to contact someone they show little follow through (!_!)

Poem58
October 17th, 2007, 16:16
My understanding is that U.S. HuCards had an encryption on them that caused emulator problems...There are ones out there that have that encryption taken care of..but still seems a few have issues either from the encryption or errors form the decryption maybe? I have never had the wrestling game work in anything but a PC emu...name escapes me at the moment...has funny looking characters.
And while Air Zonk has worked on the PCE PSP emu for me it seems to stutter and sometimes freeze up...

Keep in mind I'm absolutely NO expert and this is just what I have been told/learned over time....I still don't know how to go about upgrading my firmware (which version etc...)
But the Turbo and 2600 emu's are essentially what I am afraid of losing if my PSP ever dies....I had the TurboExpress and loved it (had console,Express,TV Tuner and over 90 Hucards...sold it for $300...big mistake)...I still miss it...but while playing it on the PSP doesn't feel the same...the better screen size and all the cards without a bunch of cards is still remarkable....

Exophase
October 17th, 2007, 19:29
Actually....

All I ever did was post this on ********** forums.... because people liked the Icon with the commercial.. that's it

Its NO DIFFERENT IN ANY WAY FROM THE LATEST VERSION THAT YOU CAN GET ANYWHERE..

Its not a port, its not a new release, its not anything new at all... all I did was run it through PSPBrew and add in what I thought looked good on the XMB

Man this is getting out of hand!!

If you guys want news then consider the fact that Chilly WIlly is VERY CLOSE to finishing the Media Engine version of the SNES emulator for the slim

that's news

In that case then doesn't everything I said apply to the version you modified? Or did it come with a readme? If it did you shouldn't be distributing it without it. If it didn't then it should have one (and I'm guessing, again, that this is not an originally done emulator)

My understanding is that U.S. HuCards had an encryption on them that caused emulator problems...There are ones out there that have that encryption taken care of..but still seems a few have issues either from the encryption or errors form the decryption maybe? I have never had the wrestling game work in anything but a PC emu...name escapes me at the moment...has funny looking characters.
And while Air Zonk has worked on the PCE PSP emu for me it seems to stutter and sometimes freeze up...

The encryption in some USA TG16 games is very simple. If you look at the source of Hu-Go you can see it pretty plainly.. so there's no good reason for emu authors not to implement it (should take a few minutes at most).

Poem58
October 18th, 2007, 02:53
Actually I was referring to the rom of the game having the encryption and there was a program awhile back to strip the encryption out for emu's...I think that is what has some buggy roms floating around and I forget what emu but there was one in the past I used that only supported PCE roms...UNLESS you used the program to strip the US encryption...I never got the US games to work on it....
I only mentioned this as a guess as to why just a couple of games sometimes work in HuGo but not other emu's...etc...

I am not qualified to look at source code...
I'm still trying to find a volunteer to PM me with advice as to what Custom FW to install and where the directions are so I don't lose emu and can play new games (currently on 3.03OE after a long time of research so I didn't mess it up):o

nickerous
October 18th, 2007, 03:25
Is there any way to go back to the game list once you choose a game? I've been exiting and going back in...

b8a
October 18th, 2007, 09:41
On the issue of TG-16/PC Engine TurboChip/HuCard compatibility:
The US TG-16 games aren't encrypted. They simply had a different pin configuration that wouldn't allow you to simply stick a US game in a Japanese console, or vice versa. The data simply appears encrypted when it's been dumped with a rom dumper that has the Japanese pin configuration. Has Exophase said already though, this is EXTREMELY easy to fix for emulators that haven't taken this situation into consideration. In addtion to HuGo, MESS also has an algorithm to automatically compensate for incorrectly dumped ROMs. I've compiled a command-line tool (originally strictly for personal use) for OS X that will "fix" incorrectly dumped TurboChips, if any OS X users are interested.

Exophase:
I know that you implemented a system to dynamically load only the needed portions of a GBA ROM that's too large to fit entirely into memory for gPsp, are you at all familiar with how hard it would be to do that with PCE CD data tracks? As far as I can tell, that's the biggest hurdle in improving e[mulator]'s compatibility, and I'm rather keen on getting a fully functioning PCE emulator scrapped togeather for the PSP. Even if it means eventually picking the project up myself.

Cloudhunter
October 21st, 2007, 20:48
I tought .pmf files were illegal because you need the official SOE tools that were leaked

They are.

Cloudy

Exophase
October 22nd, 2007, 08:36
On the issue of TG-16/PC Engine TurboChip/HuCard compatibility:
The US TG-16 games aren't encrypted. They simply had a different pin configuration that wouldn't allow you to simply stick a US game in a Japanese console, or vice versa. The data simply appears encrypted when it's been dumped with a rom dumper that has the Japanese pin configuration. Has Exophase said already though, this is EXTREMELY easy to fix for emulators that haven't taken this situation into consideration. In addtion to HuGo, MESS also has an algorithm to automatically compensate for incorrectly dumped ROMs. I've compiled a command-line tool (originally strictly for personal use) for OS X that will "fix" incorrectly dumped TurboChips, if any OS X users are interested.

Thanks, I didn't know that it was due to using a Japanese ROM dumper. The algorithm is very simple (to "unencrypt" the ROMs). It's referred to as "USA encryption" in the Hu-Go source.

Exophase:
I know that you implemented a system to dynamically load only the needed portions of a GBA ROM that's too large to fit entirely into memory for gPsp, are you at all familiar with how hard it would be to do that with PCE CD data tracks? As far as I can tell, that's the biggest hurdle in improving e[mulator]'s compatibility, and I'm rather keen on getting a fully functioning PCE emulator scrapped togeather for the PSP. Even if it means eventually picking the project up myself.

Dynamically loading the CD-ROM into memory is at the very least a lot more efficient than doing it for a cartridge since the CD-ROM isn't on the address space. When you think about it, a PSP can load from memory stick a ton faster than a 1x CD-ROM can load from CD (probably at least 10x faster), so it shouldn't be necessary to heavily buffer the CD-ROM image.

If you're interested I'm up for talking about PC-Engine emulation.. if you wanna find me somewhere *_*

b8a
October 23rd, 2007, 10:56
Thanks for the info Exophase. I'm not exactly savy about the practical issues involved with writing an emulator, but I do know that from a simple coding standpoint, it doesn't sound at all difficult to simply seek into an iso data track and fetch the needed data at any given point (which is the only way I could think of achieving this without reading the entire file into memory), I guess I just figured that there would be too much overhead involved with constantly opening the file. The original hardware almost certainly had less RAM than the PSP though, so it's probably just sufficient to open the data track(s) at the same in-game events that the PC Engine would normally access the disk anyway. Even though the PCE had some serious load time issues, like you mentioned, it should still be much quicker to load the data from the memory stick, and only doing so at the same times that the original hardware did deffinitely should not result in any noticeable file access overhead. ...But then again, this approach sounds so elementary that I wonder if it isn't already implemented in the emulator...

I'll have to set aside some free time in the near future to have another look at the source code and see if I can't make enough sense out of it to tell if something similar isn't already implemented. It might take me a little while to get enough free time, but I'll try to get in touch with you once I've had a chance to get familiar with the basic code layout.

Veskgar
October 27th, 2007, 03:49
Its great to read so much technical discussion and interest in PC Engine and PCE CD emulation on the PSP. Although not such a mainstream platform as say NES, SNES, or Genesis, I've always been extremely fond of the Turbo Grafx, Turbo Express, and Turbo Duo.

If a new improved PCE(CD) emulator is ever on the horizon, many like myself would be so thrilled.

GAMES NOT WORKING:
Soldier Blade - Freezes shortly after first mini-boss on first level.

badboyluc
October 27th, 2007, 08:16
OMG O.o

Nice emulator, Run in Full Speed with nice sound :D

Nice Work Illegal Machine :thumbup:

osgeld
January 6th, 2008, 03:43
just blackscreens and dies

coolbastard
January 16th, 2008, 23:34
Hi!

I was not able to make it work with super cds. I tried with Rondo of Blood.
If this release is based on the hue 7.0 I had the same problem with it.
I have the hue 6.1 (I think) and the sound for super cds works fine.

Anyone here was able to run cd games with sound in this release?

Thanks in advance!

crispana
January 23rd, 2008, 04:28
anyone know how to change between widescreen and 4:3?

discombobulated
January 23rd, 2008, 05:52
anyone know how to change between widescreen and 4:3?

Select, I believe.

Working great on my fat with 3.80-5. Make sure to use the hacked roms (h) that are made to work better with emulators.

mungrin
February 8th, 2008, 02:49
i cant get one Pce emu to work on 3.80 M33 at all.Fat or Slim

mungrin
February 8th, 2008, 18:18
What am i doing wrong.Ive use PC Engine emulators on all other firmwwares.For some reason in 3.80,with Snes ans TG16, when the rom folder has too many roms in it the emulator crashes.Can someone please help me?DGEN and NES work fine but SNES and TG16 i can have alot of roms in the rom folder.

discombobulated
February 8th, 2008, 20:54
Works fine here. I have all the USA roms in my folder and works fine even on 3.90. I had a crash once, not sure why, but overall, it's a great emul.

mungrin
February 8th, 2008, 22:48
I had to split up the rom folders because if i put em all in one folder it would crash.I had to to like rom folder 1 2 and 3.This is the first time usin emus in non 1.50-kernal so maybe thats why?Nestj wont read my old roms only the hacked roms i think but in Nester 1.07 it read all my old roms that i used on my PC.Weird.

gusgus
February 10th, 2008, 00:22
I loved the old pc-engine emulator. I can't remember the name of it. It totally got me to dig mine out of my closet and play blasing lazers again.

demonx406
February 19th, 2008, 23:50
I've seen it mentioned here many times; but to clarify: (since people keep asking)
This emulator is HuE 0.70 with a different intro screen. You will find you can/can't run exactly the same games with this package than you can with the HuE 0.70 package.

If you tear open the eboot files for each package respectively, you will find that they use the same HuE executable:

C:\tg16hax\070>md5sum DATA.PSP
cb6f7ad4de6e67ca37522c77aefa3309 *DATA.PSP

C:\tg16hax\070>cd "..\Turbo Grafx-16"

C:\tg16hax\Turbo Grafx-16>md5sum DATA.PSP
cb6f7ad4de6e67ca37522c77aefa3309 *DATA.PSP

I must say the addition of the commercial is pretty cool though. ;)

mungrin
March 12th, 2008, 02:58
Emulator is cool and all but the old Hue played all my roms and this one plays about 60% of them.Is there going to be a fix or something?I cant live withough Splatterhouse.

Baboon
March 13th, 2008, 14:53
Emulator is cool and all but the old Hue played all my roms and this one plays about 60% of them.Is there going to be a fix or something?I cant live withough Splatterhouse.

PCE is the best TG16 emulator!

badboyluc
June 7th, 2008, 09:09
Vigilante crash on second stage :(

i try all version (JAP,USA and more)

wwboy
June 9th, 2008, 19:11
it works good if you change the key settings

badboyluc
June 15th, 2008, 01:02
it works good if you change the key settings

How I make this ?

it happens when i passed of the second stage.. third stage not work, the game crash in cutscene.

i tested all versions also (h)

PSP Slim with CFW 3.90 M33-3