PDA

View Full Version : Sony Designer on PS3 Shape? "New Concept."

Shrygue
October 16th, 2007, 19:06
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/design-beyond/sony-designer-on-ps3-shape-new-concept-311248.php)

The PS3 innards? Fantastic. The outer shell? Hrm. As a straight up piece of hardware, the PS3 is impressive. That glossy dust-collecting Victorian waffle iron-shaped shell isn't. Though! Sony was trying to do something different than you typical game console. Just listen to Sony designer Teiyu Goto explain it:

For PLAYSTATION®3, we employed a curvilinear and glossy surface. This shape and material is rarely used for conventional electronic appliances. It is different from VCRs, DVD players (whose widths are usually 430 mm), or gaming systems. It represents a completely new concept.

There is a reason, you know, that shape and that material aren't used in conventional appliances.

Accordion
October 16th, 2007, 19:56
odd.

many appliances are now being made in "piano black", my samsung tv is, ipod touch is black glass, my tv stand is black glass, the psp is "piano black". When put together they look very good, better than my matt silver surround sound unit…

i actually like the shape as well, when stood up its quite pleasing with the tiered design.

it certainly has more aesthetic value than a squashed grey/beige box or another apple white.

reakt
October 17th, 2007, 20:53
"rarely used for conventional electronic appliances". But used extensively on the George Foreman range of grills.