PDA

View Full Version : FlacPlay (early beta)

wraggster
October 17th, 2007, 06:36
News/release from Jsharrad: (http://www.psp-programming.com/jsharrad/)

Tired of listening to crappy mp3s where the audio quality suffers from compression?

Want to play those crisp and clear FLAC's you have hoarded on your hard drive?

Well, now you can. ;) I've decided to take a quick break from what I am working on (shown in my sig below) to knock up a quick audio player. I wasn't sure if there were already any out with FLAC playback.

Grab it while it's hot - FlacPlay (beta) and toss it in your GAME150 directory.

In this early stage, it just plays the files as you select them with your up and down buttons.
The X button starts playing and the O button stops playback. I'll toss in a playlist feature and continuous play in a later release.

Obligatory screenshot:

http://www.psp-programming.com/jsharrad/flacplay/shot.png

Enjoy

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments
via Jsharrad: (http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-release-flacplay-early-beta-124628.html)

goliath182
October 17th, 2007, 07:06
woot, just what i wanted. sirens media player cracks and pops during flac playback.

SnoopKatt
October 17th, 2007, 07:11
Great job :D I love FLAC.

slayerdiabolus
October 17th, 2007, 12:17
Thank you very much! This is extremely handy! Its a pity they dont introduce greater file playback compatability with the next firmware update!

domthegod
October 17th, 2007, 13:23
needed this thnx.....:)

warningproject
October 17th, 2007, 14:23
I am Thinking in on thing the flack fill is to large like 1 song=30MB but i whant to now one thing the music quality is more good comparing to the MP3 file ??? :rolleyes:

AngelicLiver
October 17th, 2007, 14:43
:3 Flac.

Great work, I'd love to see an eventual GUI and support for further lossless and 'obscure' formats. Maybe even chiptunes...

Either way, it's a great achievement and thanks a lot.

Veskgar
October 17th, 2007, 17:58
FLAC is so great. This is a really cool release.

Its just a shame the PSP's speakers are not capable of really delivering the audio prowess that FLAC possesses.

Perhaps with the PSP hooked up to one of those audio docking stations with the big speakers, this could really shine.

But yeah. I use FLAC more for archiving. I hope for a day when car audio systems can play back FLAC files.

If you've got a 256 or 320 bit rate MP3, you'd need a very expensive and elaborate audio system to be able to tell the difference.

In closing, this does give the PSP something that the iPod had and the PSP didn't. Lossless audio playback. Apple has its own 'Apple Lossless' format but the PSP has no such ability.

Thanks for this and looking forward to seeing how this gets updated.

mcdougall57
October 17th, 2007, 18:07
In closing, this does give the PSP something that the iPod had and the PSP didn't. Lossless audio playback. Apple has its own 'Apple Lossless' format but the PSP has no such ability.

ahem, wav?

Johnny Rash
October 17th, 2007, 21:31
I use FLAC all the time when I DJ for parties.

Some people notice the vastly increased sound quality.

I would get this on my PSP,
if only I had a bigger Memory Stick.:(

iniquitous_beast
October 17th, 2007, 22:01
Great release! I've been looking for a good psp .flac player for a while. Tried a 24mb file. It played perfectly with only one missed beat. Pretty good for a beta. I can't wait to experience the final build.