PDA

View Full Version : Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 ME for Slim!

wraggster
October 17th, 2007, 21:00
ChillyWilly has released a new version of the Snes emulator Snes9xTYL for PSP Slims. Heres the release info:

Chilly Willy's been busy this last week, programming with his new acquaintance CaptShoe, and here's the result. This is Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 with MediaEngine support... for the Slim! There were also a few bug fixes as well. Although this is targeted at Slim owners, it works just fine on the phat as well. On the slim, it goes in GAME, GAME360, or GAME371. On the phat, it goes in GAME3xx or GAME if you have the kernel mode set to 3.xx.

One major limitation on this version - you cannot change the speed. It's hardcoded for 333 MHz. This is because you cannot change the CPU speed while the MediaEngine is running or the Slim hangs. In a related issue, sleep mode has been disabled since sleep would have done nothing at all. As such, this will drain your battery rapidly. Once I figure out how to change the speed after the ME has been initialized, I can change this aspect pretty easily. For now, full speed, and pressing the power button does nothing.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments
via chillywilly (http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=4064)

yoshinatsu
October 17th, 2007, 21:03
Oh YEAH, AT LAST!!! THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!

Sonicboy 101
October 17th, 2007, 21:05
Great news, thanks to you people!

DarthPaul
October 17th, 2007, 21:06
Great! Thanks for this! Let's get back to play SNES!

Shrygue
October 17th, 2007, 21:12
Right then, time for me to go and grab this in preparation for getting myself a slimline PSP (well, when I eventually do save up for one). Very good news to news to hear.

bumfacekilla
October 17th, 2007, 21:44
Ok, so why is it that the snes9xTYL folder does not appear in the emulator's file browser?

dazman
October 17th, 2007, 21:46
does not work on my 3.60 m33 slim.

It boots but once menu appears it as the pop up in the centre of the screen asking do you want to quit or not. X not quit, o quit. X does nothing and o causes a crash which then need to be rebooted.

Any help out there.

By the way mnay emus do work on the slim, I now have about 10 or more.

sroon
October 17th, 2007, 21:53
Holy Perky Titties!!!! Its About Time:)
Thank You Man For Your Hard Work!!!
(o )( O);)

hounddog
October 17th, 2007, 22:04
why wont someone update it for more speed increase and stuff

prettyboyg21
October 17th, 2007, 23:09
do anybody know where is are the emulators for a 3.71m33-2 psp phat

Ctown
October 18th, 2007, 00:57
Why can't I access the menu by holding L&R.?

yoshinatsu
October 18th, 2007, 01:02
Why can't I access the menu by holding L&R.?
Because you access it with Home I think.

armyStrong
October 18th, 2007, 01:09
This is fantastic! Now, if I only had a slim to use it on...

nickerous
October 18th, 2007, 01:51
Works for me. Chrono Trigger is a bit better using this version. Not as slow on frameskip 1. The Home button threw me a little bit as well. Made sure I went in and changed it back to L+R.

Veskgar
October 18th, 2007, 02:03
Enormous thanks goes out to Chilly Willy for this. Having emulators working on the Slim is really good stuff. I'm really happy with the Slim and I feel guilty because I never touch my 'Classic' PSP anymore.

why wont someone update it for more speed increase and stuff

Most likely because its already been optimized to hell as it is just a port after all. Even on yoyofr's forums, yoyo & team said that even if they bothered to further tweak it it may only gain 5% more speed at best.

I've been holding on to hope that one day an SNES emulator will be written from scratch specifically for the PSP and/or PSP Slim.

I'm sure that would be a tremendous task and take countless hours, weeks, months of work, but I bet it'd be full speed using just 222 or 266 MHz and compatibility would be near perfect.

A guy can dream can't he? :D

nickerous
October 18th, 2007, 02:16
Played through Super Punchout again. Still can't get to the special circuit even after beating everyone on the first 3 circuits with no defeats. All in one playing as well. Nothing. :(

furthermore
October 18th, 2007, 02:34
isn't the version of this emulator for the fat PSP basically full speed? i'm assuming from the comments so far this one is still not comparable... 8O(

Apoklepz
October 18th, 2007, 02:48
Does it run better than Rukka's last unnoficial ME Build for 1.50 Phat now that ME optimizations have been tweaked to work better?

Anyways, I'll probably check it out myself tommorrow...Thanks Chilly Willy.

BelmontSlayer
October 18th, 2007, 02:50
isn't the version of this emulator for the fat PSP basically full speed? i'm assuming from the comments so far this one is still not comparable... 8O(

This is an upgraded version of the one for the phat. CW fixed the sound bug and even made it run a little bit faster.

CW > TYL

furthermore
October 18th, 2007, 02:58
holy macaroni! i'm gonna give it a go in that case

Napalm-Death
October 18th, 2007, 03:02
Is it me or does Super Metroid not run on this one?

nickerous
October 18th, 2007, 03:06
Super Metroid works for me

furthermore
October 18th, 2007, 03:08
probably a dumb question... i assume the first download is the one for slim and the second one is for fat?

BelmontSlayer
October 18th, 2007, 03:27
probably a dumb question... i assume the first download is the one for slim and the second one is for fat?

There is only a slim version ATM (First download). The second download is the source code for any coders who want to mod/improve it. CW has stated that he will release a phat version soon.

Knups
October 18th, 2007, 03:30
The first is the compiled eboot.. and the second I would assume is the source... by the "-src" in the filename.

furthermore
October 18th, 2007, 03:39
so does this mean that the slim theoretically has greater emulation capabilities than the fat?

furthermore
October 18th, 2007, 04:05
do you need a higher firmware than 3.60 m33? thats what i use and when i boot it up it seems fine but forces me to choose 'x to continue o to exit' and neither of them works. someone earlier reported this problem. i dont want to upgrade after hearing about the possibility of bricking. any advice?

yoshinatsu
October 18th, 2007, 04:43

Heh, yeah.

As for the problem you have, I suggest updating to 3.71, no need to fear.

Veskgar
October 18th, 2007, 05:30
so does this mean that the slim theoretically has greater emulation capabilities than the fat?

You bet it does. If the emulator coders feel like upgrading their emulators for the Slim. Except for battery life, the Slim PSP out guns the 'classic' PSP in almost every way. NJ actually updated his emulators to take advantage of the extra RAM the PSP Slim has. Thanks to Dark_AleX unlocking that extra RAM that is.

I had hoped the release of the Slim PSP and Dark_AleX's masterful work that there would be a resurgence in emulator development for the PSP. It looks like that is indeed happening.

Apoklepz
October 18th, 2007, 06:26
There is only a slim version ATM (First download). The second download is the source code for any coders who want to mod/improve it. CW has stated that he will release a phat version soon.

Right....but this one already works in Phat.
Playing it on my 3.40 OE just now, and by the looks of it, this update is at least 5% smoother and faster than Rukka's last unnoficial build for 1.50 kernel....Even better, this one doesn't need any kernel specified from the Recovery menu, I have confirmed it running the same on both 1.50 and 3.40kernels. You just need to place it inside the plain GAME folder and walla! Why would there be a need for a Phat only release?

A great thing from this update is that it supports the custom firmware's 4th level of Brightness:thumbup: , which I could only get before by running it through IRshell...Another thing is that since it's a tad faster, it also runs better on RemoteJoy.

A word of advise....Redo any game setting profiles that you have clocked under 333Mhz, cause even though this emu is fixed to 333mhz speed, it'll run your previous profiles like you had em set...For example:

In my last Snes9xTYL I had Super CastleVania IV clocked to 300mhz....it still shows up like this under the new Emu's menu settings, and at first I couldn't do anything about clocking it up to 333mhz cuz the Emu itself will NOT LET YOU!!!(hence "Fixed 333mhz clocking" is really NO option to clock higher or lower speeds at all) A simple deletion of your old game profile should do the trick.

---BUGS---
So far the only one I came across was in-game music hanging or muting itself after going back and forth into the Emu menu....But it's not a real biggie once you've set your preferences...Just reset the game afterwards.

furthermore
October 18th, 2007, 07:18
nice! upgraded to 3.71 and this is indeed faster than any build of tyl i saw exclusively for the classic psp when i was using that not too long ago. dracula x never went full speed with the transparencies on the first level and now it runs perfectly with frameskip only on 1. i am in agreement, veskgar, can't wait to see what people can develop on the slim. although i'd be content with snes, genesis, and my psp and psx iso's. you can get an assload of content onto an 8 gig card... i don't think i'll ever be bored while i'm out and about again.

m0tyrider
October 18th, 2007, 08:53
does not work on my 3.60 m33 slim.

It boots but once menu appears it as the pop up in the centre of the screen asking do you want to quit or not. X not quit, o quit. X does nothing and o causes a crash which then need to be rebooted.

Any help out there.

By the way mnay emus do work on the slim, I now have about 10 or more.

this also happens to me. how do i get it to work

dazman
October 18th, 2007, 10:41
Are you also on M33 3.60? I am.

Can anyone comment.

On M33 3.60 if you also have same issue.

anyone with M33 3.71 got it working?

Panini
October 18th, 2007, 12:23
You bet it does. If the emulator coders feel like upgrading their emulators for the Slim. Except for battery life, the Slim PSP out guns the 'classic' PSP in almost every way. NJ actually updated his emulators to take advantage of the extra RAM the PSP Slim has. Thanks to Dark_AleX unlocking that extra RAM that is.

I had hoped the release of the Slim PSP and Dark_AleX's masterful work that there would be a resurgence in emulator development for the PSP. It looks like that is indeed happening.

Its nice that NJ has made his emulators work well on the slim, he always was a perfectionist.

To be honest though most of the 'new' releases of emus built for the slim are just quick ports from the phat versions, so they are not (yet) improvments at all.

Also having less battery life on the slim is really not good at all - as it is the phat psp when overclocked (which has slightly more battery life) doesn't last very long, so running emulators on the slim your allways going to need your wall charger near by.

Kramer
October 18th, 2007, 14:29
this also happens to me. how do i get it to work

Happening to me too:mad:
Im just going to update to 3.71 m33.

EDIT: updated and it now works :)

hounddog
October 18th, 2007, 19:17
its working for me and im on 3.71 M33-2

khalel25
October 20th, 2007, 12:48
im on m33 3.52 , i get all the splash screen but when i drop roms in rom folder i dont see it once i actually go into snes9xtyl....n e clue!!!!. im not sure if its the rom it self is the issue (did i miss a step here?) i am using snes rom

Serrated
October 26th, 2007, 08:05
im on m33 3.52 , i get all the splash screen but when i drop roms in rom folder i dont see it once i actually go into snes9xtyl....n e clue!!!!. im not sure if its the rom it self is the issue (did i miss a step here?) i am using snes rom

I have a big fatty psp and was on 3.52 m33-4 and was having the same problem. I then formatted my memstick and upgraded to 3.71 m33-2, added the 1.50 - 2 kernel addon v2 and reinstalled snes9x 0.4.2 ME to the \psp\game directory. Unfortunately I was still having the same problem. :mad: I had tried changing the kernel option in recovery from 1.50 to 3.71 and that did not work either.

THEN I got tricky. I deleted snes9xTYL. I then didn't just drag the folder named snes9xTYL from the download onto my memstick. I made the folders "snes9xTYL" and "ROMS" myself and then copied the correct contents to those folders. Then it worked! :)

But... I forgot to save my saved game data to the computer before deleting snes9xTYL the second time. :( lol...

Panda Bear K
January 6th, 2008, 09:55
I'm getting terrible sound issues while playing FInal Fantasy VI on this emulator. The sound is like... really SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Is there a fix for this? Please help, I want to re enjoy the greatest game ever made@!

Torgard
February 28th, 2008, 22:33
I have a Slim and my System Software version (or Firmware if that's the same, I'm new) is 3.90, and all I get is "The game could not be started. (80020148)"

What am I supposed to do? I can't install Kernel for some reason, if that's what I am supposed to do.

No_one_in_particular
February 28th, 2008, 22:55
You'll need to switch from official Sony firmware to custom firmware.

acn010
February 28th, 2008, 22:56
I have a Slim and my System Software version (or Firmware if that's the same, I'm new) is 3.90, and all I get is "The game could not be started. (80020148)"

What am I supposed to do? I can't install Kernel for some reason, if that's what I am supposed to do.

hack it with pandora... your using an officail version from sony

DanTheManMS
February 28th, 2008, 23:44
I'm getting terrible sound issues while playing FInal Fantasy VI on this emulator. The sound is like... really SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Is there a fix for this? Please help, I want to re enjoy the greatest game ever made@!

As long as this topic is revived... put the following in your snesadvance.dat file:

C0FA0464|Final Fantasy 3 (V1.1) (U)|0|0|0|0|0|0|28236=42DC,B7A3=EAEA,568=42FC,B80A =EAEA

djbrotherson
February 29th, 2008, 23:57
Which is the best emulator for snes for slim?

There's like 3 versions

jurkevicz
March 1st, 2008, 02:07
In my opinion is the Ruka's version.

djbrotherson
March 1st, 2008, 02:20
For slim?

Which one is it? i'm on pspupdates right now

mugumbo
March 5th, 2008, 03:16
this isnt working for me on the 3.60m33 firmware. Im having the same problems as everyone else where it just sits at the exit menu

JLF65
March 6th, 2008, 03:26
You can run Rukka's version via the TimeMachine. That is the best one to run on the Slim. If you don't want to mess with the TimeMachine, the version in this thread is the next best.

Rukka's version hasn't been updated for the Slim because of the method Rukka uses for posting changes to the SNES9x code. Basically, no one can get his latest code to compile.

comm22
March 7th, 2008, 07:55
it doesnt work on my slim. i have OF3.90. is that the problem. if so, how can i get a CF?

bah
March 7th, 2008, 08:06
comm22: Some background info on running homebrew on a PSP (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148004676&postcount=15).

There are plenty of guides around the place, basically you need to find someone with a PSP that can already run homebrew (running a custom firmware) to create the special battery and memory stick that allow you to get around sony's security measures and install a custom fw.

Edit: To clarify something from the linked post: you have a slim PSP so you must use the pandora's method to install a custom firmware. You cannot run firmware 1.5 on a slim PSP.

comm22
March 8th, 2008, 00:00
cool. thanks bah:thumbup:

emad46
March 14th, 2008, 13:50
Great! Thanks

KaliKot
March 14th, 2008, 14:34
Im using a lesser known version called

uo_snes9x test 0 by knuckles84. It runs slightly better than this one

I dunno if its illegal to link outside this site so I didnt :)

dante221
February 15th, 2010, 23:56
do anybody know where is are the emulators for a 3.71m33-2 psp phat
There might be some on other websites, but not here. Most of the emulators here need at least 5.03

dante221
February 16th, 2010, 00:00
So it seems after I got the emulator loaded on my PSP, I started playing Seiken Densetsu 3 and it just froze at the character select screen

B2K24
February 16th, 2010, 00:48
So it seems after I got the emulator loaded on my PSP, I started playing Seiken Densetsu 3 and it just froze at the character select screen

It's because you bumped a 2 year old thread for no reason.

dante221
February 16th, 2010, 02:55
Damn right. I'm awesome like that

B2K24
February 16th, 2010, 06:38
Latest version is here

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ocvj2s