PDA

View Full Version : Handy PSP Version 0.95.1 Atari Lynx emulator for PlayStation Portable

wraggster
October 18th, 2007, 06:28
Uberjack (http://psp.akop.org/handy) has released a new Atari Lynx emulator for PlayStation Portable

Handy PSP is a port of the Handy emulator to the Sony PlayStation Portable platform. It’s written in C and C++ and uses GU (Graphical Utility toolkit) for rendering.

Installation
PLEASE NOTE Before you can play Lynx games, you will need to obtain lynxboot.img. Please don’t ask me where you can get this file—go ask Google instead.

Unzip handy.zip into /PSP/GAME/ folder on the memory stick. Copy lynxboot.img to /PSP/GAME/HANDYPSP (see above paragraph).

Game ROM’s may reside anywhere, and can be ZIP-compressed. The system boot ROM (lynxboot.img) must reside in the same directory as the main EBOOT.

Controls
The emulator currently comes with the following default key mappings:

During emulation:

Analog stick Directional pad up/down/left/right
Directional pad Directional pad up/down/left/right
[ ] (square) Button A
X (cross) Button B
Start Option 1
Select Option 2
[R] Pause
[L] + [R] Return to the emulator menu

By default, button configuration changes are not retained after button mapping is modified. To save changes, press X (cross) after desired mapping is configured. To load the default mapping press ^ (triangle).

Known issues
Sound isn’t perfect—in some games, it skips or pops. After a week of tweaking the sound code, I’m still not sure if this is because of the port, or the emulator. The answer most likely lies somewhere in-between.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Baboon
October 18th, 2007, 08:23
Cool, its allways nice to have a new emulator on the PSP.

I remember my brother used to have a Lynx back in the day. It was quite bulky and the battery life was terrible, but it had a few quite good games on it.

Blue Lightning, California Games, APB and Xybots were a few of the goodies if I remember correctly. :)

edit: FAO what ever mod keeps deleting my baboon sig I can assure you its now the correct height, width and SIZE! Thankyou. :)

O-bake
October 18th, 2007, 08:31
Wow, what a nice surprise. Thank you!
I'll give it a try right now.

The Lynx always had my favourite version of California Games. The BMX part is awesome!

dazman
October 18th, 2007, 11:18
This works on my M33 3.60 Slim, You will need to convert the Eboot to a 1.00 Eboot to make it work

hack.fool
October 18th, 2007, 11:23
we miss the Atari linx..until now
I remember California Games was a funny game indeed..
thank you

game-virus
October 18th, 2007, 12:39
i still have to for the lynxboot.img.i use to love atari lynx.thanx for the post

geise69
October 18th, 2007, 12:43
Some other good games you guys might want to try is the Lynx version of Shadow of the Beast. It's not Amiga quality, but very good for a hand held. Ninja Gaiden is also very nice and is a good port of the arcade version. Ninja Gaiden III also got released for it. I don't know what happened to two.

Anonymous D
October 18th, 2007, 18:49
wow thanks Uberjack, i used to have a lynx emu on my gp2x a while back, never found a good one for psp, until now. california games here i come.

edit: just found the rotate screen option, blue lightning is so fun rotated

Baboon
October 18th, 2007, 21:07
Just had a quick blast on this and all I can say is WOW! ...nice emu! :)

More retro goodness for my psp. :)

Veskgar
October 20th, 2007, 06:14
Excellent! Thank you for this. I remember playing my Uncles Lynx as a kid. I Wonder if there will be an Atari Jaguar emulator ever?

Blizz407
October 20th, 2007, 08:02
Thanks for this.

richyh
March 13th, 2008, 09:46
This works on my M33 3.60 Slim, You will need to convert the Eboot to a 1.00 Eboot to make it work

Sorry for a newbie question, but can someone elaborate on how to get this running on an M33 3.90 Slim? If you follow the instructions provided by the author then you get a Handy PSP 0.95.1 icon and a Corrupted data icon appearing on the PSP.

If you run Handy PSP 0.95.1 then it gives the following error: 'The game could not be started (8002014C)'.

I've got the relevant .img bios file in the correct location, and games are zipped and sitting inside the handypsp folder. I don't understand what the other handypsp% folder is (with the smaller eboot.bpb) but I suspect its something to do with the way homebrew used to be done on the old 1.5 setup?

Any help gratefully received! :-)

richyh
March 13th, 2008, 13:55
Sorry for a newbie question, but can someone elaborate on how to get this running on an M33 3.90 Slim? If you follow the instructions provided by the author then you get a Handy PSP 0.95.1 icon and a Corrupted data icon appearing on the PSP.

If you run Handy PSP 0.95.1 then it gives the following error: 'The game could not be started (8002014C)'.

I've got the relevant .img bios file in the correct location, and games are zipped and sitting inside the handypsp folder. I don't understand what the other handypsp% folder is (with the smaller eboot.bpb) but I suspect its something to do with the way homebrew used to be done on the old 1.5 setup?

Any help gratefully received! :-)

Never mind. I resolved it by re-downloading the emulator but choosing the version compiled for 1.00 or 2.00+ firmwares. It now works! :thumbup:

kuluman
March 24th, 2008, 20:53
Uberjack,
this is very nice! I just discovered this yesterday. Up till now I had been using PLynx, but I think I prefer yours, because of better sound. I know it's not perfect yet, but at least it sounds like the Lynx again! And I don't know how, but suddenly I was able to have a score of more than 10,000 at Surfing in California Games...

Are you still working on this? Good stuff