PDA

View Full Version : iPod Classic hit with endless disk-spinning bug?

wraggster
October 18th, 2007, 20:54
The tubes are buzzing this morning with reports that the recent iPod classic 1.0.2 update has a nasty bug in it that causes the drive to constantly spin -- a glitch that's a little more troubling than those freezing issues we heard about, since bumping a spinning platter is a sure way to kill your drive dead. Most users see the problem manifest as the battery draining much more quickly than it should, and it seems to be particularly a problem when using CoverFlow, but others say it's totally random and that replacement iPods with 1.0.2 loaded don't exhibit any symptoms. In any event, iPod Classic owners who haven't updated should probably hold off, and those who have should see how their devices are holding up.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/18/ipod-classic-hit-with-endless-disk-spinning-bug/

ploom2
October 19th, 2007, 13:43
coverflow is too slow to use , takes a age to populate with images..

the general ipod speed is a little slow too, even on the update, it's getting clogged up with pretty graphics and sacrificing the speed of interface..

i havent had the drive problem, though it did seem to stop responding for a while (i thought i'd need to return it) , but i held random buttons down for a while, and it came back to life..

itunes is annoying.. (cant change the tags on multiple tv shows).

jolidesignuk
October 19th, 2007, 15:53
I had this problem yesterday. The battery half drained while listening to music for a couple of hours, turned it off, then went to turn it on 4 hours later and the battery was totally dead.

I did read somewhere that coverflow might be the problem. And as the cover flow take so long to generate the images, I have stopped using it.

Since then, no problems with the drive spinning, but lets hope it's just a temporary solution. Hopefully it'll be fixed in an update soon, as i can't be bothered with the hassle of downgrading back to 1.0.1.

ohnonotme
October 20th, 2007, 19:21
i would laugh if my friend's ipod bot this bug