PDA

View Full Version : New 32 GB PSP memory stick?

gamefreak199101
October 21st, 2007, 21:14
Sony and SanDisk revealed a new version of Sony’s flash media last week. The PRO-HG series will theoretically be capable of capacities up to 32GB, with write speeds of up to 60MB/sec. PSP owners can celebrate that HG line is backwards compatible with the regular PRO series of cards, meaning you’ll be able to buy an HG card and use it in your PSP. You won’t get the same speed advantage, but you will be able to use the card’s ridiculous amount of storage.

The idea of a 32GB PSP is awesome. Hopefully they will be priced reasonably. Not likely, but we can hope.

clone_of_me
October 21st, 2007, 21:30
ITS HOMEBREW MADNESS! cant wait to get my hands on it. but if the 4 gig stick are priced at about £60 what will the 32 be like? you may be paying more than the psp just for the stick.

gamefreak199101
October 21st, 2007, 21:33
mee too hope this get moved to psp news

Gene
October 21st, 2007, 21:52
what does HG stand for? Holy Grail?

tgm123
October 21st, 2007, 22:00
32 Gig means complete collections and lots of movies, maybe even full seasons of tv programs!

omg omg omg ill buy this as soon as its out!

(unless its more than £200)

gamefreak199101
October 21st, 2007, 22:19
lol it might be more than that

Napalm-Death
October 21st, 2007, 22:20
32 Gig means complete collections and lots of movies, maybe even full seasons of tv programs!

Agreed.

firedragon_jing
October 21st, 2007, 22:23
This is old news, I've heard about this for a year or two. I still want one of these when they come out, it will 16x my memory, allowing me to put more of everything on my PSP, making it my ultimate media center. I'll never have to worry about space, and if I do, I'm just being greedy. These are going to be awesome.

I also hope it's not over $300, but I'll probably won't get it till it drops below $200

dejkirkby
October 21st, 2007, 22:25
Unfortunately I would highly doubt this will be useful for homebrew. Most homebrew relies of the 1.5 kernel, which as we all know has 4gb compatibility as it's upper limit.

DarthPaul
October 21st, 2007, 22:29
Yeah this is very old news.

ab9003
October 21st, 2007, 22:32
Most applications are already moving or supporting the 3.XX kernel and those that do not as long as they have source code can be ported to it fairly easily. I dont see why these new memory sticks would not work with homebrew 1.5 unless Sony finds a way to stop it from being uploaded to the memory stick (which would just be spoofed). Anyway, I have a ton of functional applications on my psp slim (with ONLY 3.XX kernel) and the only thing I really need that I can't get is Irshell.

VexnadFett
October 21st, 2007, 22:37
it WILL be afordable! i know it!!!
IN THE YEAR TWO THOUSAND!
IN THE YEAR TWO THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ; ]

DPyro
October 21st, 2007, 22:39
IMO if it's more than the PSP it's not worth it.

ab88
October 21st, 2007, 23:01
Nothing it's worth the original retail price. I remember those 8 GB sticks when they were $299. Now you can now get them at like $130-140 on some places (http://google-cnet.com.com/memory-stick/sony-flash-memory-card/4014-3235_9-32065602.html). It's better to just wait for some things.

tgm123
October 21st, 2007, 23:19
i have always used my 8gb for homebrew on the 1.5 kernel and the new slim as well

`The0n3
October 21st, 2007, 23:51
I will stick to my 8 gig.

DinsX
October 21st, 2007, 23:53
I can't wait! :D

BelmontSlayer
October 22nd, 2007, 00:54
Hopefully they will be priced reasonably.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

:rofl:

I think I just peed my pants...

nielsss
October 22nd, 2007, 01:21
I know i shouldnt say this but FTW iso's

mcdougall57
October 22nd, 2007, 02:15
when they were gonna release a card this size in sd format it was £350 ($700) so id expect this one to be more seen as though memory sticks generaly cost more

check it out here (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/22/toshiba-announces-32gb-16gb-sdhc-cards/)

urherenow
October 22nd, 2007, 02:22
i have always used my 8gb for homebrew on the 1.5 kernel and the new slim as well

1.5 kernel cannot see more than 4 gigs. Period. Try placing a few movies/umds (4 gigs worth) on your 8 gig then add some homebrew emulators (1.5 kernel versions, not ones made for OE firmwares) afterwards, such as snes/nes/daedalus... it just won't work most of the time. some of them actually load but when you try to start a rom, it will crash the PSP.

of course anything that works on the slim can use an 8gig stick because anything working on the slim is using kernel 3.6+ (now 3.71)

Veskgar
October 22nd, 2007, 03:45
The reason why this might be reasonably priced and hell, probably a major factor in its development is the fact that SONY wants to offer more and more downloadable content via PSN store. PSX games and eventual PSP games offered for download won't be the smallest of files. Then with music, TV shows, movies, etc. space gets filled up rather quick.

Moreover, if the PSP gets a 32GB capacity, it will be slight competition for Apple for those thinking of getting an iPod Touch.

For all that I'd use this for and the money's worth I'd get out of it. I'd spend as much as $199.99 for this if it worked with all or most PSP homebrew.

Furthermore, the fact that this is a partnership with SanDisk has me very excited. I never had interest in the SONY 8GB PRO Duo. I was hoping SanDisk would release a better performing version like Ultra II, Extreme III, or RapidGX.

The SONY sticks are way too slow if you are to be loading up huge files or a lot of small files all at once. I'll be honest, I only play my PSP UMD's backed up to memory stick using SONY's own np9660.prx loader. And since I got the Slim & Lite PSP with the better LCD screen, I've been using it for more and more digital video. SO I'd easily be able to fill a 32GB memory stick with loads of digital homebrew goodness.

I will keep my eyes on news relating to this with much anticipation....

ab9003
October 22nd, 2007, 05:09
To be honest, what makes me the most excited about this is that as soon as this baby comes out (and starts to sink in price within a couple of monthes). All the smaller memory sticks will instantly plummet in price. I may be eyeballing this one if and when they make a 64 gb stick and this one is only 50 bucks :P.

Case and point: Last year I bought a 1 gb memory stick on ebay for 50 dollars (not even a real magicgate either, but it works fine). This year I got a 4 gb for 40 dollars a huge drop from the price just last year with 4 times the space. And, now I look at ebay and see the same 1gb memory stick I bought for 50 going for a pathetic 10 dollars, a huge change from the 130.00 I saw it at in best buy only a year or so prior. So dont go out spending 1000 dollars on a memory stick (ok maybe not that much) be patient and maybe buy a super cheap 4 gb or 8gb stick as the price on them plummets.

kryst abegnalie
October 22nd, 2007, 07:01
Eherrmm, just what they(SONY) said when they will release the M2 (memory stick micro) that it will have a 62 Gb support, but they release only 4 gb max memorysticks. That sucks, maybe they will release 16 GB only or if most of their product cant support that amount of space, maybe they will stick again to the 8 GB..

acn010
October 22nd, 2007, 09:06
they know what there doing....

goliath182
October 22nd, 2007, 11:08
Well its fairly old news the whole 32gb thing, but releasing it is surprising. Well I'd save some pennies to buy this one, All the videos/music/PS1 games/PSP iso is insane.

g00gy
October 22nd, 2007, 11:10
with that youl able to fill your psp up with as much games and movies, this is what we dreamed of

ROCKMODE
October 22nd, 2007, 11:11
I'm excited for the new memorystick. Not the fact that I will purchase one, but when its ever released the prices will drop for the 4gb and 8gb sticks. Then I can move up from 20 dollar 2gb sticks. I can't wait.

Johnny Rash
October 22nd, 2007, 11:16
Having 32 GBs of flash memory would be pretty cool.
Seeing as I already use my PSP as an iPod already!

I doubt the price tag will be friendly though.
Unless you know someone on the inside.
You know-a what I-a mean?

All the videos/music/PS1 games/PSP iso is insane.

Don't reference ISOs on DCEmu.
We are against piracy.

goliath182
October 22nd, 2007, 11:23
sorry, well i did mean backups of course. keep all my games without lugging around umds

Johnny Rash
October 22nd, 2007, 11:33
sorry, well i did mean backups of course. keep all my games without lugging around umds

My apologies.

Actually, I do the same.
Faster loading times and better battery life.

Still, a lot of people love stealing from developers...
Just because doing the right thing is now an option doesn't mean you should do the wrong thing.
Again, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

gamefreak199101
October 22nd, 2007, 14:26
thats really cool

razorak
October 22nd, 2007, 14:37
even if it's old news i still get all tingly when i think about it...lol

mike_jmg
October 22nd, 2007, 19:23
This is the sh*t man, my psp is getting a hard drive
Homebrew madness indeed

Right now I'm so glad I didn't buy the 8 Gb one

MS It's gonna be more expensive than ever, but really worth it.

XxunknowxX
October 22nd, 2007, 21:25
this is going to be crazy this would be the best thing for the psp im glad i didnt buy a 4gb or 8gb definetly buying this OMG cant wait.

Zourn
October 22nd, 2007, 23:05
We are against piracy.

Isos are neither piracy, nor illegal.

burrito
October 22nd, 2007, 23:12
Nothing it's worth the original retail price. I remember those 8 GB sticks when they were $299. Now you can now get them at like $130-140 on some places (http://google-cnet.com.com/memory-stick/sony-flash-memory-card/4014-3235_9-32065602.html). It's better to just wait for some things.
But I got a 4gb for $45 :)

sPod
October 22nd, 2007, 23:22
32gig...

...Simply amazing.
what would be amazing is if SONY and SanDisc actuly found a way to make these monster of flash drives extreamly cheap, sat $15. then boy, i would buy 3!

gamefreak199101
October 23rd, 2007, 00:29
thats gonna be way expensive

AvengedSevenfold Fan
October 23rd, 2007, 00:38
if this is affordable, my psp will replace my iPod

Johnny Rash
October 23rd, 2007, 00:42
Isos are neither piracy, nor illegal.

ISOs of copyrighted material is illegal without the consent of it's author(s).
Especially when illegally acquired.

lilbart90
October 23rd, 2007, 04:05
when this comes out, i am going to sh*t my pants and hopefully that will be enough to get me one. if not then i guess i will just save up untill im about 20 (17 right now) and maybe ill just squeek by in purchasing it.

furthermore
October 23rd, 2007, 04:59
We are against piracy.

i have tons of PS1 and PS2 iso's (eboots in ps1's case i suppose) and guess what? i own all of them. if i like a game enough to play through the entire thing, generally i like it enough to support the developers by buying it. don't get so friggin anal :thumbup: retard

Johnny Rash
October 23rd, 2007, 08:34
i have tons of PS1 and PS2 iso's (eboots in ps1's case i suppose) and guess what? i own all of them. if i like a game enough to play through the entire thing, generally i like it enough to support the developers by buying it. don't get so friggin anal :thumbup: retard

It's obvious you didn't read my last post.

I even bolded it for the next dipshit.

"Illegally Acquired."
Does that mean anything to you?

You can also look up post #31 on this thread.
I apologized to someone with the same situation as yourself.

Wanna' know something else?
You can discuss ISOs.
But only in certain pretenses.
Do yourself a favor and read the Forum Rules (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=199&a=7).

Only reason I tell people not to talk about them is because I know people use Bittorent.
So, if you don't want to seem like a freeloading douche, just don't discuss them.

gamefreak199101
October 23rd, 2007, 11:35
y are we talking about illegal and piracy stuff?

Johnny Rash
October 23rd, 2007, 11:40
y are we talking about illegal and piracy stuff?

I don't know.

Probably because people are likely to use a 32GB Memory Stick to store their illegal, pirated games. :p

It's really just an assumption.
Just shows how much I despise those certain individuals.

ROCKMODE
October 23rd, 2007, 15:01
Hey, your not a better musician then me, thats a lie.
I agree with you, I got addicted to downloading pirated games as well, when I was a child and before I started programming games myself, its a terrible habit until you realize who your hurting.

hacksparrow
October 23rd, 2007, 15:28
I don't know.

Probably because people are likely to use a 32GB Memory Stick to store their illegal, pirated games. :p

It's really just an assumption.
Just shows how much I despise those certain individuals.
that is insane at max cap it would b 17 games
i have a lot of umd's & most of them do not go anywhere near max.

this is a real nice treat for multimedia, i really really doubt it would be used for piracy at that large of a capacity.

wot happen to 16 gigs? did they just skip that?

furthermore
October 24th, 2007, 02:53
calm down buddy. i can see youre the kinda guy who picks fights over gameboy games and there is nothing i fear more in this world. thanks for tossing the forum rules link out there for all the curious three or four forty year old virgins who like to pretend theyre moderators but i think ill pass

Johnny Rash
October 24th, 2007, 08:25
Hey, your not a better musician then me, thats a lie.
I agree with you, I got addicted to downloading pirated games as well, when I was a child and before I started programming games myself, its a terrible habit until you realize who your hurting.

I'm a better musician than everyone.

Nah, I'm loosing my touch since I graduated last year.
My highschool orchestra was the only music course I've ever taken that required me to write a piece every semester.

What do you play?

I understand where you come from about the piracy completely!
Coders and musicians aren't very different.

Calm down buddy. I can see you're the kind of guy who picks fights over Gameboy games and there is nothing I fear more in this world. Thanks for tossing the forum rules link out there for the three or four curious forty year old virgins who like to pretend they're moderators but I think I'll pass.

Cheer up!
I did you a favor and converted your last post into English.

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

And for the record, I'm only 19.
I'll just guess you're 16 years old, male, unemployed, listens to music that takes little to no talent to create, showers bi-daily, and maybe has a girlfriend that has or will cheat.

Grow up.
Follow the rules.
Don't be rebel on the internet to show how badass you are.

that is insane at max cap it would b 17 games
i have a lot of umd's & most of them do not go anywhere near max.

this is a real nice treat for multimedia, i really really doubt it would be used for piracy at that large of a capacity.

wot happen to 16 gigs? did they just skip that?

And why do you think think people wouldn't dump more UMDs if they had the capacity?

Cloudhunter
October 24th, 2007, 18:19
Sigh. ISO's are illegal - check your game EULA.

Oh wait, you probably don't have it as you didn't buy it. My bad.

Cloudy

acn010
October 24th, 2007, 18:30
in the end... people are gonna end up buying the memstick XD

LemonBox
October 25th, 2007, 07:20

well 4gig is sixty quid, 4x8=32 60x8= oh dear =\ hopefully it wont be like buying 8 4gigs in price!

Chameleon
October 25th, 2007, 09:20
nah im thinking itll be the price in which the orignal 8 gig was at launch... or maybe sony will be money grubbing bastards and jack it up to an unafforable price ( I hope hope they dont :( )

Johnny Rash
October 25th, 2007, 12:00
nah im thinking itll be the price in which the orignal 8 gig was at launch... or maybe sony will be money grubbing bastards and jack it up to an unafforable price ( I hope hope they dont :( )

Your prediction is likely.

But I can't blame Sony this time.
32GB is a lot of flash memory.

Selling them cheap would extinguish the company for good!
But I'm sure there are bootleggers on ebay that would be glad to sell you "32GB"s for a good price. :D

Congrats on your 1000 post, by the way.

Turbohog
October 28th, 2007, 04:20
Darn and I just bought a 4 gig

gamefreak199101
October 28th, 2007, 13:55
me too

darkness angel 777
October 28th, 2007, 16:59
that would be awesome I need more memory.