PDA

View Full Version : Divineo Raids - Confirmed

wraggster
October 23rd, 2007, 18:02
Via Tehskeen (http://www.tehskeen.net/)

Brakken has posted an informative update on todays news about the Divineo raid in China:

Supreme Factory in Hong Kong was raided last week confirming what my sources knew was a front for Divineo owned and operated by Max Louarn. Divineo is also known to run various subsidiaries including Team Cyclops, DMS Technologies and **********.com. Divineo is also connected to the Epsilon PSP Team, Viper GC, HD Loader and the Undiluted Platinum PSP modchip.

"The search also turned up volumes of documents reflecting the scope of the operation. The Supreme Factory Limited has ties to a French company, Divineo SARL, and its principal, Max Louarn, who are also named in the legal action initiated by Nintendo. The High Court prohibited the companies from further distribution of the devices and from disposing a portion of their assets worldwide, and ordered that such assets be frozen pending outcome of the legal proceedings." - Source: Here

Some of us in the scene were aware that Divineo was going to be taken out considering facts such as the ICE Raids in the USA which served as a warning to modchip distributors and used as information gathering and the recent raids in Russia (which are undocumented/confirmed at the moment) so this comes as no surprise.

I was personally informed earlier last week that Divineo's China Divineo had been raided, but the only proof I could find was the fact that all Nintendo and Sony console modification products had been removed from Divineo's website. I had waited until it was made public to go forth with the information.

Max Louarn the owner of Divineo and ********** was recently sued and to my knowledge is a wanted criminal in the USA and along with a few other guilty parties owes over $9 million in damages to them. Additionally, back in 1994 Max Louarn was busted by the USA Secret Service for being the ringleader in a telephone card fraud scheme. Max has also recently threatened to sue me over my personal Blog.

Recent legislation in the USA named the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA) prohibits the use of devices which circumvent copy protection forthe purpose of making illegal copies of digital media is what has brought on these raids.

Sadly, while modchips do allow software piracy they also offer amateur developers a chance to create software for a video game system they legally purchased and own. The companies that produce these gaming consoles such as the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP currently have a monopoly over it's development process and requires you to pay tens of thousands of dollars to create your own software for these platforms.

The Law in the books is like saying you can buy a car, but you can't add custom tire rims to it - as a car can be used to drive yourself to work (legal) or to run over your neighbors dog (illegal). That's where the legal use of modchips and development units come into play - they allow you for less then a hundred dollars to develop software for these consoles and at least some companies such as Microsoft look the other way when it comes to the use of modchips on their video gaming consoles for "homebrew" development.

There was a bit of legislation that was introduced which would amend the DMCA to allow people who own digital media to create backup copies of it for archival and protective purposes.

"(F) The prohibition contained in subparagraph (A) shall not apply to a person by reason of that person’s engaging in a non-infringing use of any of the 6 classes of copyrighted works set forth in the determination of the 2 Librarian of Congress in Docket No. RM 2005-11, as published as a final rule by the Copyright Office, Library of 4 Congress, effective November 27, 2006..."

If you read paragraph "A" of section 12-01 of the DMCA, it's fairly clear that no circumvention means no circumvention. "No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title." - Source: Here

Sadly, this amendment is currently stuck in the legal system. If it were to become part of the legislation it would not only legalize modchips, but once again allow consumers to make backups of the valuable media they have invested time and money in.

TehSkeen in no way condones, endorses and/or encourages using modchips and/or backup devices to illegally copy digital media, but we do however disagree with the DMCA, support the amendment and believe in the power of the homebrew community.

With Divineo's assets being frozen and their various distributing warehouses being busted no one is sure if they will be able to stay in business or who will be paying the bills for his other ventures including **********.

DiGG THIS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Divineo_Raids_Hong_Kong_Raids_Large_Modchip_Distri buter)

acn010
October 23rd, 2007, 18:12
wait wait. my loved website source is being raided?!?!?!?! no!!!! thats what i get spare parts and stuff!!!
T.T
life is tough. . .

Elven6
October 23rd, 2007, 18:35
Huh, so does this mean I won't be able to buy the 360s HDMI converter thingy that came out last week?

stevo11185
October 23rd, 2007, 18:42
OMG OMG...never mind

wraggster
October 23rd, 2007, 18:53
modchips and flash carts wil be affected i presume

acn010
October 23rd, 2007, 18:55
yeah but it may also mean the complete shut down of the site T.T

Elven6
October 23rd, 2007, 19:14
These guys could keep it legal, the other stuff their giving out is amazing enough.

240-185
October 23rd, 2007, 19:16
Like Sony, Nintendo killed another accessory retailer >:(

acn010
October 23rd, 2007, 19:25
anytime soon... there wont be any retail stores to buy such stuff

akuma2000
October 23rd, 2007, 19:25
oh no whatever will I do... oh wait I really don't care. Besides if the place was raided and the assets seized as is being claimed then why is the site still up and taking orders? Me thinks this "source" is a bit misinformed.

acn010
October 23rd, 2007, 19:29
if the place was raided and the assets seized as is being claimed then why is the site still up and taking orders? Me thinks this "source" is a bit misinformed.

nope, you thin wrong..... there doing things and have no time to post the news... once claimed they cant touch there site for special search from whatever government is searching for (modchips, etc) so there you go... dont buy anything cause your not gonna get your order sent

John Vattic
October 23rd, 2007, 19:36
Piracy indded sucks because we all feel the backlash of it.

This is just another such example.

paul3100
October 23rd, 2007, 19:43
Oh well got my R4 and SClite so im ok for now :-)

I do think though as said these devices should be legal as they get used for homebrew! once you have bought an item it should be yours to do with as you like.

Running homebrew on the ds for example isn't or shouldn't be illegal as its code wrote by someone and given away for free and nothing to do with Nintendo.

paul

acn010
October 23rd, 2007, 19:47
Running homebrew on the ds for example isn't or shouldn't be illegal as its code wrote by someone and given away for free and nothing to do with Nintendo.

paul

there not viewing on the homebrew side, piracy is the matter from them... destroy them all

paul3100
October 23rd, 2007, 20:02
there not viewing on the homebrew side, piracy is the matter from them... destroy them all

I know they are not talking homebrew but if these devises were sold and stated on the box as for this purpose then surely sony/nintendo then wouldn't be able to complain!

Anyway i do agree piracy is bad for everyone in the long term but for me its the only way as i can't go chucking £30+ away for the latest game as i have 2 kids to feed and besides i wouldn't play any or few games if it wasn't for my R4

paul

akuma2000
October 23rd, 2007, 20:19
nope, you thin wrong..... there doing things and have no time to post the news... once claimed they cant touch there site for special search from whatever government is searching for (modchips, etc) so there you go... dont buy anything cause your not gonna get your order sent

Oh well until I see some other proof such as the site closing or some news post on the site saying something about it I'll just take this with a grain of salt. Not that it really matters since I've never bought anything from them. But it does seem odd that no other site is reporting this except the one who has something against Divineo and that "website that must not be named".

acn010
October 23rd, 2007, 20:32
im one of their costumers and they do have good quality merchandise, and im pretty much sad that the site is being watched

kiariki
October 23rd, 2007, 21:10
Does anyone know what can happen to people who purchased any items from them?

paul3100
October 23rd, 2007, 21:28
nothing i would say, you haven't made the item or bought it with copyright material on it.

Anyway there are 100000000's of people purchasing these items so id like to see anyone sue us all lol

No its the big boys they are after and its the big boys that made the item that infringes copyright and other laws so i wouldn't worry at all about it.

paul

kiariki
October 23rd, 2007, 21:39
I hope so, since the only reason I am even able to play Zelda II and get anywhere on it is with nesDS (I have the GBA Classic Edition and the GCN Collector's Edition, but neither has rewind!)

There's also a few console games I have that I would never beat otherwise. :(

irishwhip
October 23rd, 2007, 22:36
is ********** wordfiltered now? lol, how childish

redsyrup
October 23rd, 2007, 23:40
This is just like the war on drugs, Investigators bust offending group X producing Y.

Y remains available through outher outlets but goes up in price because supply is low.

New groups are attracted to selling Y because its more lucrative than ever.

Too many people enter the market and the price depreciates. Than Nintendo does another bust.

Cycle repeats itself again and again.

kiariki
October 24th, 2007, 00:13
What worries me the most, however, is that the owner of Divineo was involved in other, more criminal, actions... Kinda makes me wonder what they might've done with information from their customers! O_O I think Amazon.com will be a little safer to buy from now on... Or physically going to stores... :(

furthermore
October 24th, 2007, 02:37
anytime soon... there wont be any retail stores to buy such stuff

considering how easily i can obtain anything from mail order ultra hardcore bestiality DVDs to valium and xanax on the net, i think there will always be a source for modchips and other rad stuff like that

furthermore
October 24th, 2007, 02:39
This is just like the war on drugs, Investigators bust offending group X producing Y.

Y remains available through outher outlets but goes up in price because supply is low.

New groups are attracted to selling Y because its more lucrative than ever.

Too many people enter the market and the price depreciates. Than Nintendo does another bust.

Cycle repeats itself again and again.

heh. yep

Eyedunno
October 24th, 2007, 03:29
I never trusted Divineo. The raid still sucks though, because it may end CycloDS's dominance as a homebrew device.

considering how easily i can obtain anything from mail order ultra hardcore bestiality DVDs to valium and xanax on the net, i think there will always be a source for modchips and other rad stuff like that
You sound like you're into some interesting stuff. j/k :D

paul3100
October 24th, 2007, 05:47

You sound like you're into some interesting stuff. j/k

Sounds to me like he/you smoke to much weed and its making you paranoid mate lol

They will have 1000's upon 1000's of addresses so i wouldn't think they will pick yours out for dodgy going ons but they could use your house as a hide away i guess to escape Nintendo :-0

paul

iris2008
October 24th, 2007, 07:27
manufacture High Definition Video Converter,
--PC TO VGA series;
-VGA TO PC series;
-HDMI switch ( 4*4,4*2,4*1,3*1)
-HDMI COnverter (AV TO HDMI, VGA TO HDMI, Scart TO HDMI)
-image freezing for medical treatment;
-long range transfer
[email protected]
MSN: [email protected]
86-0755-82500214

acn010
October 24th, 2007, 07:35
^bot^
weired

Eyedunno
October 24th, 2007, 09:33
Sounds to me like he/you smoke to much weed and its making you paranoid mate lol

They will have 1000's upon 1000's of addresses so i wouldn't think they will pick yours out for dodgy going ons but they could use your house as a hide away i guess to escape Nintendo :-0

paul
What the hell are you talking about? :confused:

RamZee
October 24th, 2007, 15:47
... the owner of Divineo was involved in other, more criminal, actions... Kinda makes me wonder what they might've done with information from their customers! ... :(
I bought my first DS-Xtreme via Divineo (France) a couple of years ago and never had any problems. I'll be sorry if Nintendo put them out of buisness (it's retail electronics, not drugs).

bandit
October 24th, 2007, 16:11
Ouch that hurts. I guess reviews will somewhat slow down. I was awaiting for more review samples from them and I havent heard from Max.