PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bay Still Loves Blu-ray More Than HD DVD

Shrygue
October 23rd, 2007, 19:55
via Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/format-war/michael-bay-still-loves-blu+ray-more-than-hd-dvd-313984.php)

Even though Transformers director Michael Bay backed down after bitching about Paramount's choice of HD DVD over Blu-ray for all forthcoming home videos including Transformers, he couldn't hold his tongue for long. He told USA Today that he's pissed about the format war in general, adding specifically:

"As a director, my critical eye is that Blu-ray is where my money is."

He also says the best-selling DVD release of Transformers was "not as good as it could have been." Apparently somebody must've got up on the wrong side of the bed.

acn010
October 23rd, 2007, 20:34
thats my hero!!!
m(^w^)m meow

Elven6
October 23rd, 2007, 21:00
This guy obiously dosen't know that HD DVD is equal to Blu Ray, even Space wise, since both formats can store 50GB, I bet when Transformers sells more on HD DVD and pays for this new car hes gonna be like O Hd YOUR awesome!

freitax
October 23rd, 2007, 23:06
This guy obiously dosen't know that HD DVD is equal to Blu Ray, even Space wise, since both formats can store 50GB, I bet when Transformers sells more on HD DVD and pays for this new car hes gonna be like O Hd YOUR awesome!

is that right? how so?

you want a quick example? let's examine a clockwork orange, the exact same content (the same video codec and same bitrate, in terms of audio blu ray has pcm, that's what extra space can give you), but the hd dvd version is spread over two disc :< whereas the blu ray version is actually all in one disc.

ps. and just so you know the hd dvd has a maximum bitrate for video of 29.4 Mbit/s, the blu ray has a maximum video bitrate of 40.0 Mbit/s, I think that's a bit of a turn off, don't you?

acn010
October 23rd, 2007, 23:17
he means that blue ray gives more quality than hddvd

Shadowblind
October 23rd, 2007, 23:19
In the regard of quality, I'm afraid that there is no difference whatsoever. None. Except HDDVD can play audio with more crisp detail then blu-ray, there is no difference in quality.

freitax
October 23rd, 2007, 23:49
In the regard of quality, I'm afraid that there is no difference whatsoever. None. Except HDDVD can play audio with more crisp detail then blu-ray, there is no difference in quality.

"Except HDDVD can play audio with more crisp detail then blu-ray"

What? Many blu ray disc have PCM! that's uncompressed audio, do you sill think hd dvd has audio with more detail?

And by the way saying that there is no difference in quality is quite an overstatement, because if you start filling the discs with more content or simply put a huge film or many episodes, you will start to notice digital artifacts much sooner on hd-dvd than on blu ray.

Shadowblind
October 23rd, 2007, 23:55
"Except HDDVD can play audio with more crisp detail then blu-ray"

What? Many blu ray disc have PCM! that's uncompressed audio, do you sill think hd dvd has audio with more detail?

And by the way saying that there is no difference in quality is quite an overstatement, because if you star filling the discs with more content or simply put a huge film or many episodes, you will start to notice digital artifacts much sooner on hd-dvd than on blu ray.

Im basing this off experiance. When it comes to explosions, HD-DVD delivers better then Blu-ray, not so much graphics as the BOOOOOM!. Thats what I've seen.

freitax
October 23rd, 2007, 23:59
Im basing this off experiance. When it comes to explosions, HD-DVD delivers better then Blu-ray, not so much graphics as the BOOOOOM!. Thats what I've seen.

well then that means you have a inferior blu ray player compared to your hd dvd player, it doesn't mean you have a inferior disc.

VexnadFett
October 24th, 2007, 01:41
the lack of a blu-ray version of transformers has most certainly halted my purchase of the film...
while watching it in the theater i couldn't help but dream of playing it in blu-ray for the rest of time...

dmac
October 24th, 2007, 03:03
I had to buy this one on DVD. I don't have HDTV yet but I would have bought this on Blu-ray either way. So far I own just one blu-ray movie (x-men 3). From what I heard blu-ray is out selling hddvd.

turnerl
October 24th, 2007, 04:15
Blu-ray all the way!!!!!!!!

irongiant
October 24th, 2007, 12:08
The Paramount/Dreamworks exclusivity deal is for 18 months so Transformers will be released on Blu Ray after that. Though i have to say aside from the special effects the movie is absolutely awful! :)

Blu Ray is still outselling HD DVD by a 2:1 margin. What amazes me is that Sony and Toshiba are working together on the Cell processor but can't come to an agreement on disc formats??

Elven6
October 24th, 2007, 17:47
is that right? how so?

you want a quick example? let's examine a clockwork orange, the exact same content (the same video codec and same bitrate, in terms of audio blu ray has pcm, that's what extra space can give you), but the hd dvd version is spread over two disc :< whereas the blu ray version is actually all in one disc.

ps. and just so you know the hd dvd has a maximum bitrate for video of 29.4 Mbit/s, the blu ray has a maximum video bitrate of 40.0 Mbit/s, I think that's a bit of a turn off, don't you?

Thats not HD DVD's fault, its the studios, besides the great thing about HD DVD and Blu Ray is it has made a ton of advancments since it came out. The only difference? These advancments are compatible on ALL HD DVD players EVER released.

freitax
October 25th, 2007, 03:04
it's the studios???no my friend it isn't, simply an hd dvd couldn't hold all that information in 30gb, but in 50 gb it could(blu ray), it's not the studios fault that they weren't willing to sacrifice the quality of the video so that it could fit in hd dvd, that's why you need the extra space!!!Who doesn't want more???More space, more content.

Elven6
October 25th, 2007, 21:48
it's the studios???no my friend it isn't, simply an hd dvd couldn't hold all that information in 30gb, but in 50 gb it could(blu ray), it's not the studios fault that they weren't willing to sacrifice the quality of the video so that it could fit in hd dvd, that's why you need the extra space!!!Who doesn't want more???More space, more content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD#Audio

So HD DVD can support PCM, and HD DVD does have 51GB, it was approved for production in August (Do a search on the forums, I posted about it when it was announced) If studios don't want to use it, then thats their fault. Now I know your uninformed and are going to say "Your gonna need a new player for the third layer"

Well guess what, you don't! HD DVD players ALL have some error correcting thing built into them, so any error generated would be corrected, meaning it will work just fine.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9776981-1.html

Now 51 is better then 50, working on the oldest player is also better then buying a new one.

F9zDark
October 29th, 2007, 02:57
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD#Audio

So HD DVD can support PCM, and HD DVD does have 51GB, it was approved for production in August (Do a search on the forums, I posted about it when it was announced) If studios don't want to use it, then thats their fault. Now I know your uninformed and are going to say "Your gonna need a new player for the third layer"

Well guess what, you don't! HD DVD players ALL have some error correcting thing built into them, so any error generated would be corrected, meaning it will work just fine.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9776981-1.html

Now 51 is better then 50, working on the oldest player is also better then buying a new one.

And other companies are working on bigger Blu-Ray discs. Whats the point? HD-DVD reaches 50. Blu-Ray can reach 200gb and companies have been working towards that.

1 gb more, 1 year too late, won't help HD-DVD... Now had they come out with 51gb HD-DVDs from the beginning, maybe the race would be neck and neck. But they didn't. And its too late to catch up now.

csd-san
October 29th, 2007, 05:28
Guys, just scroll down and look at the specs:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-state-of-the-s-union-s-division/

HD-DVD vs Blu-ray.

Allow me a quote, if you will.

"Blu-ray discs are more expensive, but hold more data—there, that's all."

Great, now stop bickering about it.

Elven6
October 29th, 2007, 23:12
And other companies are working on bigger Blu-Ray discs. Whats the point? HD-DVD reaches 50. Blu-Ray can reach 200gb and companies have been working towards that.

1 gb more, 1 year too late, won't help HD-DVD... Now had they come out with 51gb HD-DVDs from the beginning, maybe the race would be neck and neck. But they didn't. And its too late to catch up now.

There is a difference, currently HD DVD owners do not need to upgrade to enjoy 51GB, so they can be released onto the market, and even the uninformed consumer can enjoy his movie without a hitch. Blu Ray upgrades, and people would buy new players, because the format was never really finished, so no one is really following a set guide line. I wonder how much it would hurt the PS3, if that happened!

F9zDark
October 30th, 2007, 23:10
Its the same way with Blu-Ray discs as well. With TDK making their 200gb Blu-Ray disc well before there were any BD players on the market (April 2006). Hitachi has 100gb and 200gb discs coming soon, both of which are playable on current players or need a firmware upgrade, not a hardware one.

So HD-DVD has still got nothing on Blu-Ray. Hideo Kojima's remarks of needing a dual layer Blu-Ray for MGS4 indicates to me that the PS3 is capable of playing multi-layer discs right out of the box, or that its possible with firmware.

Shadowblind
October 31st, 2007, 02:43
Goodness sake why would anyone in thier right mind need a disc with the space of a hard drive? I can tell you right here and now no game, this gen or any before us needs a storage capacity above 15gigs.

Accordion
October 31st, 2007, 12:30
Goodness sake why would anyone in thier right mind need a disc with the space of a hard drive? I can tell you right here and now no game, this gen or any before us needs a storage capacity above 15gigs.

Performing regular solid state hard drive backups is very useful.

irongiant
November 1st, 2007, 12:23

Naughty Dog have stated that Uncharted uses 24GB. More space is no bad thing, Kojima wants dual layer Blu Ray for Metal Gear Solid4.. obviously he should employ you as you seem to think you know more than him!

F9zDark
November 1st, 2007, 21:47
Naughty Dog have stated that Uncharted uses 24GB. More space is no bad thing, Kojima wants dual layer Blu Ray for Metal Gear Solid4.. obviously he should employ you as you seem to think you know more than him!

And if Kojima indeed needs all that space, thats 35gigs more than Shadow thinks would suffice.

Microsoft will learn very quickly, its better to have head room than be constrained by lack of foresight.

Elven6
November 1st, 2007, 22:50
Um hello! Remember how Naughty Dog said Resistance was supposed to be 30GB, but people found out it was only HD video, so it could have fit on a 9GB disc, uncompressed! Kojima wants more space, not for level design but for Video and Audio, no developer has or is going to take full use of Blu Ray, you can have a 100+ hour long game on a BD or HD disc, so why is no one doing it? Because they don't want to!

And we all know the PS3 can read the second layer on a BD rom, the 360 HD add on can read the second layer on a HD rom aswell. Its the third layer that poses a problem.

nhlhockey
November 7th, 2007, 02:29

Its only a matter of time when the bluray disc will not be big enough. Look at history CD-ROM not big enough. DVD not big enough. My first computer had a 20 MB hard drive and that was big for the time. I think Bill Gates said no computer will ever need more than 640 k of ram. Its only a matter of time until we need more storage. There will always be something bigger and better. Thats the way business is if things stay the same corporations will not get richer. There always has to be something better.

Elven6
November 8th, 2007, 22:33
Too add to the debate: Read over the whole 1.1 Blu Ray Profile Update!

SSaxdude
November 8th, 2007, 23:27
According to this comparison between the Blu-Ray/HD DVD releases of "Training Day": http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/trainingday.html
both seem pretty even. But it was mentioned that the TrueHD Dolby Digital track was dropped on the Blu-Ray release due to space limitations. So I guess the maximum bitrate that Blu-Ray can handle just leaves less space for other stuff.

But enough of that. The average customer is more concerned about price and selection of movies. Both formats have good exclusive movies. The PS3 is now $400 and HD DVD players now go for $200. The war is just starting.

F9zDark
November 10th, 2007, 06:03
Um hello! Remember how Naughty Dog said Resistance was supposed to be 30GB, but people found out it was only HD video, so it could have fit on a 9GB disc, uncompressed! Kojima wants more space, not for level design but for Video and Audio, no developer has or is going to take full use of Blu Ray, you can have a 100+ hour long game on a BD or HD disc, so why is no one doing it? Because they don't want to!

And we all know the PS3 can read the second layer on a BD rom, the 360 HD add on can read the second layer on a HD rom aswell. Its the third layer that poses a problem.

And Project Gotham Racing developers had to cut a few things from their game because they maxed the DVD's space limitation.

Sorry to say, but the capacity of DVD has been maxed. If they could have compressed it anymore, they would have. Obviously that was not an option.

Had Microshaft saw this ahead of time, they could adopted HD-DVD for games and allowed developers more freedoms.

And I am sorry, but anyone who believes this war is just getting started hasn't paid attention to any of the facts. Blu-Ray has consistently outsold HD-DVD for the last year, with a record of 9 to 1 sales last february.

Paramount signing onto HD-DVD is only delaying the inevitable. With Universal's speculated departure from it, it will only be a matter of time before there is no major Hollywood support for the format, by which it will fail shortly after.

Elven6
November 10th, 2007, 17:08
Ha, have you heard of a game called Mass Effect? One of the biggest RPG's EVER fit PERFECTLY onto a DVD-9! It depends on what compression technology they use, which is constanly being updated.

F9zDark
November 13th, 2007, 15:15
Ha, have you heard of a game called Mass Effect? One of the biggest RPG's EVER fit PERFECTLY onto a DVD-9! It depends on what compression technology they use, which is constanly being updated.

The quest is only 18-30 hours long. Hardly the biggest RPG ever.

Elven6
November 14th, 2007, 19:01
Im talking about biggest mean how it is a graphical marvel, and how much detail is put into it. Take other games like, Time Shift, Oblivion, etc very long games that have fit onto a normal DVD and still matching the PS3's graphics.