PDA

View Full Version : Review: MMR PSP UMD Replacement Case

bandit
October 24th, 2007, 00:51
MMR PSP UMD Replacement Case
Manufacturer: Multimedia Recovery
Site: Buy from Multimedia Recovery (http://multimediarecovery.com/ME2/Audiences/Default.asp?AudID=858DD5622541448B908758D6432129AE )
Price: $3.99 each / $11.99 (3-pack)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/pspcases.jpg

Overview : Finally a solution to your broken UMD games & movies. This nearly indestructible UMD repair shell is a replacement case carriage for those flimsy UMD shells that the game is originally contained in. Stop throwing out your games & start playing & watching all your PSP UMDs again!

Features :

Works as a replacement for ALL UMD Media - Game or Movie
Comes in clear colors
Reusable casing to change discs

Quality/Usability : I know everyone had at least one horribly scratched up UMD disc or a UMD disc that has cracked. With the item being damaged, it either wont play or you had to go out and buy a new game/movie. Now, there is a solution that Sony failed to provide whether it be replacement cases or better quality product.

Multimedia Recovery has filled that void by releasing a PSP UMD Replacement Case. The size is replacement case is exactly the same size of that of the original UMD case. There are some slight differences. The replacement case consists of two plastic pieces (front and back) while the original consists of multiple pieces. The replacement case snaps on and uses a screw to hold the cases together tightly and the replacement case comes in multiple colors.

To install, simply remove the disc from the original case. Place the disc on to the bottom replacement case and then place the top replacement case on top to encase the disc. All you have to do now is press all around the replacement case to ensure that it is in place and complete the process by screwing in the small screws. You can use a screwdriver similar to the ones used for glasses to tighten the screws.

Multimedia Recovery offers two types of cases; screw and snap-on. We only received the screw version so we are unable to give a review on the snap-on version. Some colors they currently offer are clear blue and crystal clear New colors will be available soon such as purple, red, yellow, multi-color, metal flake, pink and black.

Conclusion : Overall, the Multimedia Recovery PSP UMD Replacement Case is probably the only replacement UMD case on the market right now. The replacement case is durable and will not fall or break apart unlike the original case. The price is very cheap at $3.99 including free shipping within US, $4.99 including free shipping Internationally and $11.99 for a 3-pack. Its definitely better than spending $30 on a new game or movie. You can also swap disc with the replacement case but be sure to handle and place the UMD disc carefully as they are not well coated to begin with.

Here is a video by David from Multimedia Recovery:

http://www.youtube.com/v/C9Px2VMOMOo

*UPDATE*
SNAP-ON REVIEW VERSION

Quality/Usability : Multimedia Recovery was nice enough to send us the snap-on version of the PSP UMD Replacement Case. The snap-on version is identical to the screw version. Only difference, its snap-on and does not require a screw.

Game discs are held securely in place. The replacement case has 7 pegs all around the case that holds the top and bottom casing together. Only problem with these pegs is that they bend easily as they are plastic, small and thin. So if you're closing up the case and just so happen to close it wrong, you may end up bending the pegs. This can be easily fixed but using thin pliers or something to shift it back in place. By doing this, it will weaken the plastic. Even if you were to break it off or if it breaks off on its own, the replacement case is still held in place tightly.

Conclusion : Overall, the snap-on PSP UMD Replacement Case works just like the screw version. Just remember to be careful when closing up the replacement case so you dont bend one of the pegs out of place.

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Review_Multimedia_Recover_PSP_UMD_Replacement_Case )
http://digg.com/gaming_news/Review_Multimedia_Recover_PSP_UMD_Replacement_Case

Images via comments

mcdougall57
October 24th, 2007, 01:29
dam it just threw away mercury aswell

hatebreeder
October 24th, 2007, 01:55
is this an advertisement or a review?

bandit
October 24th, 2007, 01:59
Review..hence the title. The video is their own video.

The King
October 24th, 2007, 02:40
nice now i know wat todo if another umd of mine gets broken

BelmontSlayer
October 24th, 2007, 03:08
Awsome! I've been waiting for some of these since my Untold Legends case broke years ago...

kcajblue
October 24th, 2007, 03:31
ive never had a umd casing break on me?

lilbart90
October 24th, 2007, 03:38
^^^ ditto i just take good care of my games and leave them either in my psp, or in the UMD carrying case i have. People wouldnt need this if they took care of there stuff better :-P

ab88
October 24th, 2007, 03:41
I just used crazy glue worked good for me. XD
Gotta be patient though or else you end up with a stuck together UMD that doesn't spin.

Joe88
October 24th, 2007, 04:31
ive never had a umd casing break on me?

same

I dont know who is breaking their UMD cases :~

Johnny Rash
October 24th, 2007, 08:48
Since I have huge hands, I've broken quite a few cases.

I've been waiting for these for a long, long time!

Airdevil
October 24th, 2007, 10:14
My mate managed to break my wipeout disk a few months back. I may buy a set of these just to fix this one and keep some as back up in case he comes over again ;)

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
October 24th, 2007, 10:28
damn i broke 2 or 3 UMDs a long time ago and destroyed the disc. damn!

b_simpson1999
October 24th, 2007, 10:30
Awsome! I've been waiting for some of these since my Untold Legends case broke years ago...

mine 2 as well as Untold legends: The Warrior's Code, lucky for me i chould trade 1 of my slightly broken 1's on the market and the other one was from ebay and chouldn't trade it in so just had to throw it

bah
October 24th, 2007, 13:38

There's a difference these days?

Poem58
October 24th, 2007, 16:01
at the very least UMD's should have been housed like Minidiscs.......then sony may have also had the option of making PSP minidisc playback as well....which would have been great.

stevo11185
October 24th, 2007, 17:45

both

Zin0099
October 24th, 2007, 19:07
my burnout legends and capcom classic collection remixed broke and re got them

i saw this on psp fanboy already though might get a some then if something happens i can fix it

plus i found it much easier to brake the umds with the protective slide case(the one where only one umd goes in it) and the 8 umd holder is better

anonymous_349
October 25th, 2007, 11:46
FINALLY!
OMG! I though I was the only one wanting this...
Dave man, UR THE MAN. this product is AWSOME. I'm gonna order tons of these...
Those ppl wondering what use this could have, well let me tell u that not all psp ownders are as careful as u guys are.
As for me (as an example) my little girl has a psp and games. Although she's only 9, she has no sense of value as of yet when it comes to little plastic materials that allows her to play games. Just as much care of course goes to other things like the usit it self that I had the covers replaced x3 and DVDs, CDs, etc...
I would wonder why the psp community would release a spare casing for the usit itself but not the UMD's (til now that is).
Also there are MANY other kids that my lil girl plays with that has their own psps that almost in the same condition. So this product as u now see is VALUABLE for parents/guardians like myself caring for sensitive objects that kids now days seems to see as little plastic repairable goods.
All credits of course goes to the talented genius like the good ppl that made these products and such like em.

Many thanks and i wish u guys more success in the future...

anonymous_349
October 25th, 2007, 11:47
the link needs fixing btw...
it should be (below)

http://multimediarecovery.com/ME2/Audiences/Default.asp?AudID=858DD5622541448B908758D6432129AE

ta!

Johnny Rash
October 25th, 2007, 12:06
Do they sell replacements for the metal centers of the discs?

I have a stack of PSP games about 2 inches high of games with no UMD casings.

watupgroupie
October 26th, 2007, 19:38

Dude i had that problem too with a umd all though it was just the demo one. I still liked the disk and tried to repair it and was successful except for the metal peice so it didn't work. There's like a little slit for it to go in in the middle of the disk and if it breaks most likely you broke away part of that plastic slit making it unrepairable.

SpooForBrains
October 27th, 2007, 15:24
FINALLY!

I've been waiting well over a year for a product like this. The UMDs are manufactured to be so fragile that a cynical man might leap to the conclusion that they made them that way deliberately so that they have a limited life.

Personally, my mistake was to use the Gameware soft cases for my games. They ALL ended up cracked in one way or another and my only attempt to fix one with superglue ended in disaster.

bandit
October 28th, 2007, 06:52
the link needs fixing btw...
it should be (below)

http://multimediarecovery.com/ME2/Audiences/Default.asp?AudID=858DD5622541448B908758D6432129AE

ta!
Thats the link that is on the first post

No metal centers.

Johnny Rash
October 28th, 2007, 07:03
Krazy Glue...here I come.

Prasoc
October 28th, 2007, 13:55
omg im getting one of these now since my burnout dis clear plastic front with "UMD" on it fell out!

bandit
November 22nd, 2007, 07:27
Updated review with snap-on version. See original post (1st) to see what I have to say about the snap-on version.

SteveBaseball
May 6th, 2009, 05:53
i think this is what i need because i dropped my umds and broke the cases to 2 of my umds, and now they wont play.. but my question is, are these mmr ones the same ones as the ones here because i was thinking about just getting a bunch of these in case it happens again

http://vpgames.com/p-1119-replacement-umd-casing-shell-case-for-sony-psp-10-pack.aspx

its a good price but it didnt say mmr so i wasn't sure if it was just one company that made them or more than one.

thanks

Doulasleming
May 4th, 2010, 07:01
I have checked out this site and I see that your products and services are very unique and reliable. I would like to show this site to my friends to check them out as well.
Thanks and I’ll keep an eye of this ...