PDA

View Full Version : bye bye wireless?

RedKing14CA
July 13th, 2005, 00:54
Sony is claiming that putting wireless connections and such in the PS3 will cost too much for them, and gamers, but mostly for them... there is a high possibility we wont be seeing the wi-fi/bluetooth in the PS3... this leaves me wondering if the psp is going to be able to link with it, or if we'll need a USB cord.... i don't fully know if we should say bye bye to the xbox style (wireless) multiplayer, between multiple PS3 systems.... its up to you, and Sony...

V Comments/Questions go here V

PSP_Newbie
July 14th, 2005, 10:04
well, they might get rid of WiFi for PS3 for all i know, but i think they're planning to link up the psp to ps3 via IR instead of WiFi, they alrdy got a port on the psp for IR(to the left of the usb port if the umd release mechanism is to the right) that has alrdy been taken advantage of as a remote for some sony tv's and the slim ps2, and can even be used as a controller from what i hear

nexis2600
July 15th, 2005, 00:41
well, they might get rid of WiFi for PS3 for all i know, but i think they're planning to link up the psp to ps3 via IR instead of WiFi, they alrdy got a port on the psp for IR(to the left of the usb port if the umd release mechanism is to the right) that has alrdy been taken advantage of as a remote for some sony tv's and the slim ps2, and can even be used as a controller from what i hear

Hahahaha. No. irda technology is too old and ungodly slow. There is no way ps3 & psp will comunicate via irda / ir.

I really dout sony will yank wifi. The technology is not that expensive and getting cheaper as the days go on. If the PSP could afford it, I dout the ps3 can't.

I do personaly see there is no huge benifit to keep bluetooth. So that I could see going bye bye.

Cap'n 1time
July 15th, 2005, 00:53
Hahahaha. No. irda technology is too old and ungodly slow. There is no way ps3 & psp will comunicate via irda / ir.

I really dout sony will yank wifi. The technology is not that expensive and getting cheaper as the days go on. If the PSP could afford it, I dout the ps3 can't.

I do personaly see there is no huge benifit to keep bluetooth. So that I could see going bye bye.

we discussed this before... speed wasnt too bad from what I found out of my quick google glance (like 4mbps) The problem is the reaction time between transmitions - pretty slow.

so nexis is right... you cant really use the ir port for anything like that...