PDA

View Full Version : 2014 'the year of attempts, rather than success' for wearable tech, say analysts

wraggster
January 10th, 2014, 23:44
Analysts have dismissed wearable tech as unlikely to hit its stride during this year.
Speaking to Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/10/us-ces-wearables-idUSBREA0905N20140110?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews), several of the industry experts said that while wearable technology such as smartwatches and smartglasses could blossom in the future, 2014 was likely to be a year of experimentation necessary for the advancement of the sector.
"2014 will be more a year of attempts than of successful products,” said Carolina Milanesi, a consumer tech analyst at Kantar Worldpanel.
“For a lot of manufacturers it will be a matter of waiting to see what Apple does."
"For wearables to finally match up with the hype, [they have] to be a true solution, where it isn't about the technology - it's about what the technology enables you to do, something you couldn't do before," said Mike Bell, a senior executive at Intel.
Intel itself announced a concept for ‘Jarvis’, a smart voice-activated earpiece which operates like a personal assistant, and a smart bracelet, which had no further details revealed.
The expansion and experimentation of wearable tech during 2014 is vital if devices hope to excite customers, rather than becoming a monotonous clump of identical products, some observers said.
"I have 20 different photos [of wearable devices], but if I look at the pictures I couldn't tell you which product is from which vendor. They all look the same," said Stacy Rasgon, semiconductor analyst at Bernstein, who photographed every wearable device she saw at CES 2014.
"[However,] wearables sound like a great idea and there's going to be a lot of experimentation. People are throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks."

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/2014-the-year-of-attempts-rather-than-success-for-wearable-tech-say-analysts/032922