PDA

View Full Version : PSP: Daedalus R13 to be released soon!

Baboon
October 25th, 2007, 12:00
Strmnnrmn has just posted an update on the current status of Daedalus R13! :thumbup:

Here's what he had to say on his blog: http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/

R13 close, honestly!

Apologies again for the lack of updates. I know people get nervous when I don't update regularly, but I don't like to post when I have nothing new or exciting to talk about.

I'm very close to releasing R13, I've just been struggling to find the time to add the final finishing touches to the savestate support. I've found it hard to get into a regular working pattern since moving, so what should have been a 1 week job has ended up taking a month. Bioshock and Halo 3 haven't helped either.

Savestates are working very well. The current implementation provides 10 slots which are shared across all roms. You can save to any slot at any time from an option on the Pause menu, or choose to reload a previous savestate. In this way it works just like QuickSave/QuickLoad found in various PC games (I'm tempted to add a special slot for this to the top level of the Pause menu).

I use zlib to compress the savestates, so an 8MiB savestate compresses down to 1MiB (or even smaller if you're running games which don't use the Expansion Pak).

There are just a couple of things I need to finish off now before I can release. Firstly I need to check if the savestate you're loading is for a different rom than is currently loaded. If this is the case I need to scan through your available roms looking for the correct one, and load it. To make this efficient I need to get the RomDB which I use for the PC build working on the PSP.

The second thing I need to do is come up with a decent way of linking some metadata to the savestate so I can show this in the UI. Just simple stuff like the full name of the rom, time the savestate was created and the total time spent playing when it was created. I figure without this information it'll be quite difficult to figure out what it stored in each savestate slot. The alternative is to add a text entry system to the UI so you can name each savestate, but I think this will just delay things even more.

In summary R13 is really close and I've not forgotten about it. Just a few more things to sort out and it'll be ready for release.

Give Feedback Via Comments

Johnny Rash
October 25th, 2007, 12:04
This is great news!

A lot of people have been yearning for this.

Even people complaining about it.

I can't wait for the release!

cal360
October 25th, 2007, 12:33
I can't wait for this to be released. I've been longing to see an update to one of the greatest emulators ever!!!

acn010
October 25th, 2007, 12:43
great improvement..... i hope this emu can be finished full spead with sound

Sonicboy 101
October 25th, 2007, 12:53
Fantastic news, I really can't wait for R13. :)

Kramer
October 25th, 2007, 12:56
Heheh I told you guys he was playing Halo 3.
Cant wait for more speed from this release:)

sourced
October 25th, 2007, 13:05
i cant wait :p

Johnny Rash
October 25th, 2007, 13:27
Heheh I told you guys he was playing Halo 3.
Cant wait for more speed from this release:)

Who hasn't gone missing playing Halo 3?
If you haven't yet, you need to get with the times. :p

AtariFreek
October 25th, 2007, 14:00
Excellent news! I'm really looking forward to this. Also, I understand why he dissapeared with Halo and Bioshock lol.

Strongbadunit2
October 25th, 2007, 17:35
YESSSSSSSS finally! An update =]]

this is great news although I'd wished he would have posted whether or not he got any more speed ups... although I guess him not posting it is a no:(

Well hopefully it will be out either this weekend or next weekend

sammiesosa#1
October 25th, 2007, 17:40
64 roms awaiting, so bring it on.

jurkevicz
October 25th, 2007, 17:40
I hope he releases it this weekend!

Zaitmi
October 25th, 2007, 17:49
An update to what he was doing is enough for now.

Veskgar
October 25th, 2007, 19:01
Nice to read an update from Strmnnrmn and also great to see is a fellow Halo 3 fan.

I'm hoping this will work on the PSP Slim. Also, I hope we'll see Mario 64 in full speed with perfect or near perfect sound at some point soon.

ab9003
October 25th, 2007, 20:45
Nice to read an update from Strmnnrmn and also great to see is a fellow Halo 3 fan.

I'm hoping this will work on the PSP Slim. Also, I hope we'll see Mario 64 in full speed with perfect or near perfect sound at some point soon.

R12 works on the slim so I'm pretty sure r13 should. If it doesnt it'll be ported over in like 5 seconds cause everyone wants the glory :P

kharaboudjan
October 25th, 2007, 21:27
me wants i nooow :)

CaptainMorgan4
October 25th, 2007, 23:20
I'm sure it will be released either tomorrow or sometime around this weekend.

fucht017
October 26th, 2007, 00:26
It doesn't matter what Strmnnrmn have been updating with his great Emu...He is updating..And he is working hard to make it as good as possible...Thank you very much for your hard work and detecation Strmnnrmn,on the still one of the best consoles N64...And I love Bioshock to...So much fun.:thumbup:

dark heart
October 26th, 2007, 08:17
Wahoo! an update!
man this r13 better be good for what we've waited.

JPJunkie
October 26th, 2007, 10:08
Great News

Strongbadunit2
October 26th, 2007, 18:38
Wahoo! an update!
man this r13 better be good for what we've waited.

Agreed although it will most likely have only like a 15% speed up and savestate support....so I don't think there will be any surprises =/

CaptainMorgan4
October 27th, 2007, 01:10
Umm it's going to be 25-35% speed increase so R13 is going to be amazing, I've proved this before so I'm not going to argue with you guys about the increase. Just wait until R13 is released and you will see what I'm talking about, it's going to blow the PSP away!

kharaboudjan
October 27th, 2007, 02:07
hmm.. perhaps up to 25 %. but NO WAY there will be 35 % speed increase. he would have said that in his blog then!

CaptainMorgan4
October 27th, 2007, 02:24
Obviously you didn't look at his last 5 blog posts and add numbers together.

Safari Al
October 27th, 2007, 04:41
just made my day man!

xxhiroshi21xx
October 27th, 2007, 06:37
Really pulling for higher frames on this release, It's been a feat to get the emulator to run in the first place, but it's so very slow it's hard to actually play the game. :(

CaptainMorgan4
October 27th, 2007, 07:53
Please just wait till R13 comes out before you start calling this emulator slow, please just do me that favor.

Safari Al
October 27th, 2007, 13:14
heck im still amazed n64 is even on a psp :p

kharaboudjan
October 27th, 2007, 14:53
Obviously you didn't look at his last 5 blog posts and add numbers together.

well thats exactly what i did. and as far as strmn has told us there will only be like 20-25 % speed up. but we can always hope and dream for more speed that he hasent told us about :)

Strongbadunit2
October 27th, 2007, 18:02
well thats exactly what i did. and as far as strmn has told us there will only be like 20-25 % speed up. but we can always hope and dream for more speed that he hasent told us about :)

yea i got 23%-28%...And yes it will speed up the n64 emulation but it won't be such a significant difference that it will go from slow to fast...I'm gonna guess right now that full speed won't be achieved until R18+

but I am interested when he said that 9 roms that didn't work are now working with the Dynarec hack. Could this meen Kirby64 or Bomberman64??

CaptainMorgan4
October 27th, 2007, 19:19
Yeah I'm praying for Diddy Kong Racing to work somewhat but I highly doubt it will be working for R13 but I'm anxious to see the big speed up.

Shadowblind
October 27th, 2007, 19:23
Ohh, hes been playing Bioshock and halo 3 huh?! HE THINKS THAT AN EXCUSE?!

Well it is! :D I personally know how hard it is to stop playing those games. At least he was doing the best thing he could with his time (no sarcasm, cant get much better then Bioshock.)

Blizz407
October 27th, 2007, 20:32
I hope the fix alot of things on it. Like the way the game plays when playing mario 64 or when playing smash bro's Cant wait till its release

Pimp13
October 31st, 2007, 20:39
That bumb better get his fat lazy ass off and start working on that shit jk. Cant wait.

CaptainMorgan4
October 31st, 2007, 21:01
Yeah maybe we will see a Halloween release, that would be cool.

Strongbadunit2
November 1st, 2007, 01:21
its been over four months since r12 was released and he's a month past what he said...but hey hopefully this weekend T_T

CaptainMorgan4
November 1st, 2007, 03:47
Well no Halloween release, yeah I'm getting pretty impatient too, I know it's selficious but I really want R13 quickly.

darkness angel 777
November 2nd, 2007, 21:33
oh thank god I was worried.

Mr.Denny
November 2nd, 2007, 22:20
Can't wait for the update. All the work he's done so far is highly appreciated and I don't mind having to be a little patient in waiting for another quality release.

Fingers crossed Body Harvest works!.

Zaitmi
November 2nd, 2007, 22:28
I wonder what he means by "soon." Hopefully not another month, as it's been a week already. Let's hope the update is worth the wait. I'm anxious to see when it will be released.

CaptainMorgan4
November 3rd, 2007, 02:11
Yeah I know I was like soon oh he means the following weekend I guess, turns out soon is a big word for StrmnNrmn. I hate to sound pushy and selficious but 4 months since R12 has just been hard to deal with especially with him teasing us saying he plans to release a new version each month.

Safari Al
November 3rd, 2007, 02:29
well we can only hope its released this weekend. we need to stop pressuring him though. if we do that he'll be come overwhelmed and quit. just be patient

Strongbadunit2
November 3rd, 2007, 03:05
well i dont remember him saying he'd release a new version every month...but that would be nice :)

Seriously though at this rate of a release every 4 months Daedalus will never reach full speed :(

(If its not this weekend Idk what I'll do... I'm flying back from japan on monday)

CaptainMorgan4
November 3rd, 2007, 06:26
When StrmnNrmn came back from that 4 month binge of silence he said he was going to try and release every build by monthly incroments. Yeah I'm pretty confident he will release it this weekend, I can't see savestate holding a great coder like StrmnNrmn back for more then 2 weeks. I just can't wait till R13, it's going to be such a great release, so much faster than R12. I know you guys have doubts and only think it will be just a decent increase but you'll see when R13 finally drops.

bah
November 3rd, 2007, 17:00
... just be patient

All that needs to be said, other than thanks.

Mr.Denny
November 3rd, 2007, 17:09
does anyone know if he's working on getting better compatibility?. I seriously hope Body Harvest is eventually playable.

CaptainMorgan4
November 3rd, 2007, 18:22
Well he was planning on doing compatability for R13 but then changed his mind, which leaves me to believe he probably will want to take R14 in a different direction. I'm assuming he doesn't want to work on speed again for the next release and since compatability was in talks earlier I can see him working on compatability for R14.

CaptainMorgan4
November 3rd, 2007, 18:31
Sorry for the double post but StrmnNrmn just updated his blog, looks like R13 for tomorrow!

Shadowblind
November 3rd, 2007, 18:33
Wh00t! R13 tommorow?

Just checked, your on the spot, captain. Lookin forward to it :D

So how much of an average speedup did he say it was?

CaptainMorgan4
November 3rd, 2007, 18:36
We will be seeing a 25-35% increase depending on the ROMs but yeah this will be a big speed up.

acn010
November 3rd, 2007, 18:38
woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i am waiting now

CaptainMorgan4
November 3rd, 2007, 18:41
A new thread I made for this latest update should appear on this section soon, so feel free to talk there when this one dies.

acn010
November 3rd, 2007, 18:42
done commenting XD