PDA

View Full Version : Sony PlayStation Operating Losses Double in Q2

wraggster
October 25th, 2007, 20:12
Sony said Thursday that quarterly operating losses for its games unit had more than doubled, but that it hoped the division would break even or better in the second half of the financial year.

During the quarter Sony sold 1.31 million PlayStation 3s and 10.3 million PS3 software units globally. The ageing PS2 notched up 3.28 million sales and 38 million game sales, while the company also shifted 2.58 million units of its handheld PSP console and 12.6 million games for the system.
The company feels it is still on track to sell 11 million PlayStation 3s during the current financial year.

The games division losses weren't enough to stop Sony posting a quarterly operating profit across its full business however. Overall Sony's quarterly operating profit reached 90.5 billion yen, compared to a loss of 20.83 billion during the same period last year. Growth was largely driven by strong LCD TV, camera and camcorder sales.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7672&Itemid=2

Milleniumas
October 25th, 2007, 20:54
emm... shit?

JKKDARK
October 25th, 2007, 23:59
die sony ,die

rehbock
October 26th, 2007, 06:07
http://inverse.physics.berkeley.edu/archives/nelson.gif
HAA HAA

PSPCulture
October 26th, 2007, 10:01
die sony ,die

Strange attitude to have? Why do you want Sony to die? Do you not like using their products?

I've really enjoyed using my PSone, PS2 and PSP over the last 10 years or so. Without Sony, I'd have never had all those hours of entertainment.

I guess you should head back over to the Apple/Microsoft/Nintendo forums where you belong.

JPJunkie
October 26th, 2007, 10:07
Interesting news

Shadowblind
October 26th, 2007, 12:50
Huh... "Growth was largely driven by LCD and camcorder sales."

Well, what about the PS3? Didn't do anything I suppose?

jools
October 26th, 2007, 14:49
oh noes :(

JKKDARK
October 26th, 2007, 14:58
Strange attitude to have? Why do you want Sony to die? Do you not like using their products?

I've really enjoyed using my PSone, PS2 and PSP over the last 10 years or so. Without Sony, I'd have never had all those hours of entertainment.

I guess you should head back over to the Apple/Microsoft/Nintendo forums where you belong.

You forgot to say "PlayStation 3" ;)

Seker
October 26th, 2007, 19:48
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/6/61/What9000.jpg

Shadowblind
October 26th, 2007, 22:11
You forgot to say "PlayStation 3" ;)

Good point.

After the bull $$$ony is pulling, killing Lik-Sang and putting coders out of business, I don't know how you CAN like them.

The PS3 has potential to became less then the mess it is. But it will take a different company then $$$ony to do the job.

Joe88
October 27th, 2007, 03:25
its because of games

a few good games are starting to appear like ratchet and clank 5
but its still missing something like, well idk ... MGS4 :cool:

SSaxdude
October 27th, 2007, 05:01
I saw the 80 gb PS3s going for $500 at Best Buy earlier today. This just shows you they aren't selling. It has absolutely no killer games for it like the Wii and the Xbox 360 do. The PS3 certainly will not be the console king this generation.

Knups
October 28th, 2007, 03:35
I always said the PS3 was corporate suicide. A $700 console system... I mean... that's just absurd. If they kept it down to $400 at it's initial release they would have made a killing, hell, I might have at least thought about buying one. They could have easily done this buy supporting HD DVD instead of Blu Ray. That would have kept both consumer console and software prices down and increased corporate profit. These latest price drops is essentially $ony on it's knees begging people to buy their latest bloated system, which they have further corrupted in my eyes by removing the EE chip, why would I want a system that isn't 100% backward compatible (especially one that is the size of a overweight bus). I just hope it makes them focus more on the PSP which is one of THE BEST handheld systems ever conceived (not to mention having an awesome community of programmers, hackers, and users).
I mean, let's be real here.... Misc homebrew, Dos apps, Space Quest, Shining Force, Final Fantasy 1 - 7, and FFVIICC all on the same MS... pure genius!