PDA

View Full Version : PC Games on PSP??

Jube
October 26th, 2007, 04:30
I was wondering about having a PC Game converted to PSP form. Could it be done, what would it take?? The game in question would be Star Wars: Empire at War, if not the whole game, then why not a map or two of it? Would it require too much power? It's just a simple question of if it could be done, and how. Thanks in advance!

DimensionT
October 26th, 2007, 08:42
I love threads like this...

1. Way too many resources required to run that game.

2. No source code.

3. You don't just convert them, you port them using the source code. WAY harder then just running them through a converter and slapping it on your PSP.

dark heart
October 26th, 2007, 08:55
I was wondering about having a PC Game converted to PSP form. Could it be done, what would it take?? The game in question would be Star Wars: Empire at War, if not the whole game, then why not a map or two of it? Would it require too much power? It's just a simple question of if it could be done, and how. Thanks in advance!

yer, that request is a little ridicules.
there are other things you can play though that are on the pc. there are the 2d point and click pc games like broken sword, kings quest, or space quest that you can play with the scummvm emulator.
or theres also a dos emulator.
and there are ports like quake, quake 2 doom etc.
but it can be very difficult to port a pc game to the psp and as that guy stated, you need a source code.

so if you see a pc game that may run well on the psp like quake II, you need to find the source code, and you need to suggest the port in the porting suggestions forum.

JPJunkie
October 26th, 2007, 10:28
Imagine the Elder Scrolls Oblivion on PSP

Oh yeah it's coming out on PSP

Jube
October 26th, 2007, 10:52
yer, that request is a little ridicules.

It wasn't a request, it was more of a question, if it was possible, I wouldn't want someone else do have to do it, unless they wanted to. It couldn't be impossible, could it? Even if there are too many resources, I'm not talking about running the entire game, just a few maps, units would have to be limited though, and sound, and a lot of other stuff would have to be taken out. I don't think it's impossible, entirely, just hard, but how hard could it be?

jxx2005
October 26th, 2007, 13:22
It wasn't a request, it was more of a question, if it was possible, I wouldn't want someone else do have to do it, unless they wanted to. It couldn't be impossible, could it? Even if there are too many resources, I'm not talking about running the entire game, just a few maps, units would have to be limited though, and sound, and a lot of other stuff would have to be taken out. I don't think it's impossible, entirely, just hard, but how hard could it be?

yea...Star Wars: Empire at War requires 1ghz
psp only has 333mhz
and if you "took out" enough stuff to to lower the requirements to that low, the game would be no where near playable
seems you're a computer newbie as well as a PSP newbie

Jube
October 26th, 2007, 19:36
Actually..It is possible, it would just be too complex to do. 1GHZ is for the ENTIRE game, not a few maps. There isn't just one way of getting it to the PSP. I'm not stupid either, so don't go around calling people "newbie"s. I didn't call you an idiot, so I would appreciate it if you didn't call me a newbie.

DimensionT
October 26th, 2007, 20:08
Well, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. That constitutes as being a newbie in my book.

1GHz for the entire game? That's not the size of the game, it's what's required to run it. At any given time, you have to have 1GHz of CPU to be able to run that game. The PSP only has 333MHz, not gonna happen. Period...

The EX
October 26th, 2007, 20:25
Ok, first off, the PSP architecture is completely different from a computers. Also, a PC game, even if it didn't require mass amounts of processing power, will not run using 32MB RAM. To delve even further into the topic, to re-code and distribute a PC game for the PSP would not only be illegal, but nearly impossible. The PSP cannot support the drivers needed for a PC game, and so the PC game will not run.
I hope that answers your question.

Cloudhunter
October 26th, 2007, 20:28
Actually..It is possible, it would just be too complex to do. 1GHZ is for the ENTIRE game, not a few maps. There isn't just one way of getting it to the PSP. I'm not stupid either, so don't go around calling people "newbie"s. I didn't call you an idiot, so I would appreciate it if you didn't call me a newbie.

Besides. There's no source code - it may be possible to port maps over, but they won't be in the same engine, or look anything or play anything like it.

Memory is the main issue also, even if there was source code.

Cloudy

Edit: rofl at your sig The_Ex

Jube
October 26th, 2007, 23:35
Well, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. That constitutes as being a newbie in my book.

1GHz for the entire game? That's not the size of the game, it's what's required to run it.

I didn't know you had, none the less needed a book...I know it's not the size retard, its not gigabytes, jeez. No, it doesn't require 1GHz, at any time during the game to run it, also the source code, thats not the question. Say that the source code is in hand, just a memory problem, which can be fixed. And it wouldn't be distributed, because yeah, that would be illegal, that's why it's for personal use only. Thats why I asked in the beginning, if it was possible. "nearly impossible" means nearly, but not.

hodgy47
October 26th, 2007, 23:58
I didn't know you had, none the less needed a book...I know it's not the size retard, its not gigabytes, jeez. No, it doesn't require 1GHz, at any time during the game to run it, also the source code, thats not the question. Say that the source code is in hand, just a memory problem, which can be fixed. And it wouldn't be distributed, because yeah, that would be illegal, that's why it's for personal use only. Thats why I asked in the beginning, if it was possible. "nearly impossible" means nearly, but not.

1. That kind of abusive crap wont get you any help here so kerb the "retard" crap

2. how hard can it be? As hard as perverts knob in a brothell.

3. By the time you take out all the stuff just get near if at all it wouldnt be worth playing anyway

4. if you can code that well why not turn your attention on doing something for whole psp community instead of just being rude.

5. Dont reply with a barrage of abuse at me cos it will get you nowhere.

yaustar
October 27th, 2007, 05:20
To answer your specific question about Star Wars: Empire at War, is it possible, short answer: no.

Longer answer: The steps required to even get it near the PSP format would be:
- Get the source code
- Change all the platform specific code to work on the PSP
- Run and see what happens
- Too large an ELF size? Find some way to trim the code and any static data in the code to make it fit
- Runs too slow? Profile and find where the bottlenecks and optimise till it runs at a decent speed
- Game crashes due to running out of memory? Find out what is taking the memory and why. Is it the collision data? Is it the textures? Sounds? Meshes? AI pathfinding? Decompression? Can this be reduced

Chances are that it isn't going to happen at all due to one or more reasons listed above but it is (pie in the sky) theoretically possible although it would take a full team a considerable amount of time to even get close and even then they may find it is actually impossible to get it running at fullspeed.

Jube
October 27th, 2007, 09:05
1. That kind of abusive crap wont get you any help here so kerb the "retard" crap...Dont reply with a barrage of abuse at me cos it will get you nowhere.

What I said had reason, if you would read the first posts you would yourself know this, but I guess not, I wasn't trying to offend anyone until I was offended, nothing serious was meant by what I said, and am sorry if anyone was hurt by what I said, and the whole PSP Community? I don't think the community would want, or need help from me, there are already coders and programmers all over.. Yaustar, thank you so much, your the only one who actually answered what I wanted to know. It wasn't just for Star Wars Empire at War, but that was one that I wanted to do, I just wanted an idea of somethings. I would never do it for all because of the legal issues of course.. I doubt I could have accomplished anything with Doom 3 right? But, once again I want to thank yaustar, for answering my question. I also want to say sorry if I have offended anyone, or if I came off rude to anyone.

hodgy47
October 27th, 2007, 12:53
and the whole PSP Community? I don't think the community would want, or need help from me, there are already coders and programmers all over..

If you can code believe me there is always a place for you coders are always needed and why not write your own homebrew games.

Jube
October 28th, 2007, 03:30
why not write your own homebrew games.

Heh..Too many reasons, I like stuff "perfect" kinda like a person with OCD, but not that extreme. I know it sounds dumb, that that would be perfect for me wanting the code to be perfect, but it's just aggravating. I don't start any homebrew games for the same reason. I thought of making a port of the Star Wars Empire at War game, because I felt too lazy to code the other one, plus, I forgot about settings for the game and such, I was just thinking about the actual game, not saving or settings, I still don't doubt that I, or anyone else couldn't do it if their mind was set on doing it, but oh well. Besides, all of the coding and programming teams are full right? I wouldn't even know where to go >.>...

hodgy47
October 28th, 2007, 10:02
thats why you write homebrew, get yourself noticed and most homebrew has bugs or glitches at first so dont let minor imperfections hold you back

dark heart
October 29th, 2007, 06:35
Heh..Too many reasons, I like stuff "perfect" kinda like a person with OCD, but not that extreme

I'm accustomed to that. the short term is perfection artist.

glad you guys sorted it out before there was too much flaming.

oh and Jube, you might want to get into modding, it's easy to learn and you might be able to make a clone of star wars for the quake 2 port.

Jube
October 29th, 2007, 07:53
oh and Jube, you might want to get into modding, it's easy to learn and you might be able to make a clone of star wars for the quake 2 port.

Well I'll see, heh, theres too many places too start. I'll give it a shot I guess.

dark heart
October 30th, 2007, 05:24
well if you need any resources, give a shout.

Jube
October 31st, 2007, 03:46
well if you need any resources, give a shout.

Sure, where do I start..?

dark heart
October 31st, 2007, 05:32
on my site it lists the tools and where to find them.
Tools section (http://mrlemonyfresh.googlepages.com/toolssection)
if you need further help, why not sign into the forums.

Jube
October 31st, 2007, 06:23
on my site it lists the tools and where to find them.
Tools section (http://mrlemonyfresh.googlepages.com/toolssection)
if you need further help, why not sign into the forums.

Thanks man!

dark heart
November 29th, 2007, 06:23
pay attention to the date of the last comment next time
bringing up old subjects irritates everyone.

Addy771
January 27th, 2008, 20:35
333 MHz on the PSP processor is in no way the same as 333 MHz on a PC processor.

Eviltaco64
January 27th, 2008, 22:09
Older (2003-2004ish) PC games have been ported to the PSP (Starwars Battlefront II) in a very scaled down/long loading times format.
Also, I'd say that a game that requires 1 GHz to run could be ported to PSP (depending if 1GHz is the minimum requirement or recommended), just so it could be scaled down a bit and panned by critics and DS fanboys alike because of its "attrocious" 10 second load times.

EDIT: Also, a PC game is developed for many different computers (obviously). Some may handle the game in a good way, others may lag. While consoles might be inferior, they are working only on one kind of architecture and not the giant variety of the x86/x64 architecture.

rekha
February 19th, 2008, 11:02
pc games on PSP, including current bestsellers FIFA 07 and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. Not sure what PSP game to buy? Then take a look at our customer reviews for impartial advice. We also sell a comprehensive list of PSP accessories;

bnnttdlm
April 5th, 2008, 14:49
I know how

GibsonSGKing
May 14th, 2008, 23:20

whoa dude, im not even a coder and i can tell u its not possible. the only way is to make a new game, with snes type graphics, that plays sim.

pjp264
May 29th, 2008, 22:37
What about sytem shock 2?
Game requirements Below:
Windows 9x, Pentium or K6 200+ MHz, 32 MB RAM, 4X CD/DVD-ROM, DirectX 6+, Highcolor 4 MB PCI or AGP video card, sound card.
Psp Has the same amount of ram, and is under clocked at a higher amount than is required.
If only i can find a source code, i believe it was ported to Linux so that may shed some light.

LoneWolf-v7
May 30th, 2008, 15:26
I had queried the possibilty of porting some of the older real time strategy games.
like the C&C games
so I've trying to work a dos emulator or try to run Lindows (thats a semi-windows-compatible linux system, if ya didn't know)
but everything i find is without a readme