PDA

View Full Version : GJ07: Wii takes innovation of the year

Shrygue
October 26th, 2007, 18:24
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=174440)

The word 'innovation' and Nintendo have always gone hand-in-hand, so it comes as no surprise that Nintendo Wii has just scooped The Innovation of the Year 2007 - sponsored by T3 award.

Ultra-advance aliens were clearly on the brain when Nintendo's tech guys came up with the crazy tools that are the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers, which topped PS3, the Halo 3 Beta, Direct X 10 and Xbox Live Arcade for the award.

Having been a runaway success since the say it hit shelves, there'd have been a riot in the streets if this award had gone to anyone else, we bet.

John Vattic
October 26th, 2007, 19:02
Since when did gimmick become innovation?

You are all total slaves, or you're so desperate for innovation you slap an award on the first gimmick pushed into mainstream society.

Nintendo makes big dollars, you call it success. Nintendo craps all over veteran gamers, you call it innovation. Are you people even gamers?

Casual gaming will be the demise of the industry. Thanks a bunch Nintendo.

Sold my Wii because it was a gamecube with a wand. Rebought twilight princess for gamecube(questionable linear zelda title anyway).

Wii is good for grandpa with alzheimers or the aunt thats a total bimbo retard.

The Wii is an insult to innovation and a huge success.

The industry is very strong right now huh?

sappo
October 26th, 2007, 21:10
Sony, PWND.

And everyone who says things like you, PWND.

alienanthropologist
October 26th, 2007, 22:18
Go Nintendo!

Pilot_51
October 27th, 2007, 08:54
John, look in the dictionary for "gimmick" and "innovation".
The Wii is only as much of a gimmick as the PS3. Just because you don't like change in your style of gameplay doesn't mean nobody calling themselves a gamer should either.
The Wii is clearly an innovation, it introduces something new or different into the gaming industry. It runs off the common path that most gaming companies follow (that is, improving graphics and performance for the most part).
Wii is far from just a Gamecube with a wand. The backwards compatibility and the architecture (which makes developing for Wii easier for developers since they already know it) are really the only features that make it like a Gamecube. Just look at the specs and you'll see how much it's different.

There is no way that "casual gaming" could become the demise of gaming. Developers will never give up "hardcore" games entirely so they could make games that your grandparents could play. There's just too many developers in existence for that to happen and the only possible demise of the gaming industry as I see it is if EA buys out every developer and decides to follow one path such as sports games.

By the way, since you're apparently a Sony fanboy (at least in the modern sense), I automatically disregard such hate speech against Nintendo as simply misinformed fanboyism. You're an insult to gaming by trying to discredit Nintendo's attempt to breath some much needed life into the console gaming industry. Gaming isn't an exclusive thing only for people who play such games as WoW or Halo for 16 hours a day.
Who are you calling "veteran gamers" anyway? The kind that always want the best graphics? It's obviously not the kind that have been playing games since the 2D era and still like to play 2D games, which IMO are the real veterans.
[/rant]

orochi_xxxx
October 27th, 2007, 12:27
It will only be a matter of time till this 'innovation' becomes tiresome, controlling every game by shaking or waving the controller is going to get boring and it does not work with every game as some games you can just wave the controller has fast you can and win eg Bleach and some games it does not work at all nfs:carbon

Its good for nintendo to try something new not that it will last as they cant rely on the controllers when competing with 360 and PS3

John Vattic
October 27th, 2007, 13:12
I forgot to add .......fanboys feel free to flame.

gimmick indeed.

if a million people believe in something, that doesn't make it true.

popularity is not a measure of achievement.

I'm terribly sorry, but you all buy into gimmicks. and it's not your fault. I know that. and I don't hate you.
I was only pointing out the fact that society is so dumbed down that they will take a gimmick over something real. In other words, a virtual boy looks appealing now because the innovations are so few and far between. Therefore I'm not contesting the award, only pointing at the ugly fact that innovations are rare anymore.

happy "casual" gaming

between masturbation and wiimote flinging, you should have the strongest wrists of any humans in history. good luck with that:D

if casual gaming is the future, the future sucks donkey balls.

jwilds73
October 27th, 2007, 15:34
Yes somehow opening gaming up to a wider audience and showing it to be a viable entertainment medium regardless of age and sex will spell doom for the industy. One day we will all wish we heeded your words John.

orochi_xxxx
October 27th, 2007, 15:56
The Wii took innovation of THIS year because we have never had a games console controlled that way just because its a innovation now does not mean its going to be next year

ICE
October 27th, 2007, 16:19
Feel free to say whatever you want but most of the people who hate the Wii will even tell you that its will be number one for a long time. 13 million consoles in under a year gimmick or not. Love it or hate it Wii will be on top for a while.

Oh and by the way all its good games arent even out yet. Seriously only like one is lol. Just watch when mario and smash come out and Wii sales curb stomp every other console but the DS.

orochi_xxxx
October 27th, 2007, 18:25
13 million consoles cos its cheap(well it is slighty upgraded gamecube with innovative controllers )!
i dont remember smash brothers being too much of a smash hit!

Mario has just gone downhill since 2d games(yes that includes mario 64)

ICE
October 27th, 2007, 18:40
13 million consoles cos its cheap(well it is slighty upgraded gamecube with innovative controllers )!

Yes that is so right. People buy anything thats cheap just because its cheap. Also smash bros was a pretty darn big hit. Im not sure what you're talking about.. The gamecube sold poorly but with that in consideration Smash Bros sold very well. If you dont think Mario Galaxy will be good you're a lunatic.

People buy the Wii because it looks fun. It looks like anyone can play it without devoting hours of training. Not because its cheap. Although that does help.

Shadowblind
October 27th, 2007, 19:25
Like I said before, the Wii is insanely innovated. But they didn't think too hard how this would effect gameplay for the worse. This is why the Wii has almost no good games, as of yet....(SSB IS COMING, BABY! And yet, it plays just like the GC version. Wii innovation doesn't pertain to the fun games...)

orochi_xxxx
October 27th, 2007, 19:56
Yes that is so right. People buy anything thats cheap just because its cheap. Also smash bros was a pretty darn big hit. Im not sure what you're talking about.. The gamecube sold poorly but with that in consideration Smash Bros sold very well. If you dont think Mario Galaxy will be good you're a lunatic.

People buy the Wii because it looks fun. It looks like anyone can play it without devoting hours of training. Not because its cheap. Although that does help.

Lol Mario Galaxy= 'Innovative' Mario Sunshine !!!
contradiction there so if a games console company sells 2 consoles and 2 copies of game is sold for that console,it is classed as sucess?

ICE
October 27th, 2007, 20:03
Lol Mario Galaxy= 'Innovative' Mario Sunshine !!!
contradiction there so if a games console company sells 2 consoles and 2 copies of game is sold for that console,it is classed as sucess?

I think you may be the only person in the world who thinks mario galaxy will be bad. You must not be a gamer or something..

to the second part. yes any game that sells the same amount as the console did well. (irrelevant..)

Love it or hate it the Wii is here to stay and due to the persona its taken and things like Wii Sports and Wii Fit theres not a darn thing you can do about it.

sonofsamus
October 27th, 2007, 20:23
Please, don't turn this site into QJ. You're making baby Jesus cry.

Accordion
October 27th, 2007, 22:37
Playstation 2 is the most innovative games console ever!

moose_pete
October 28th, 2007, 03:19

Honestly, are you ****ing retarded? Smash is the best selling game for the cube at least 10 fold. Check the stats.

Mario 64 paved the dirt road for all 3d platformers today. Ive had a Wii, and the fact is that every game i played, i had a lot of fun playing each one. And thats what its all about. Not that i dont enjoy my 360 and some Halo goodness, but the fact remains: gamers love Wii. Casuals love Wii. Developers LOVE Wii. Everyone loves Wii. Simple as that.

orochi_xxxx
October 28th, 2007, 20:14
Honestly, are you ****ing retarded? Smash is the best selling game for the cube at least 10 fold. Check the stats.

Mario 64 paved the dirt road for all 3d platformers today. Ive had a Wii, and the fact is that every game i played, i had a lot of fun playing each one. And thats what its all about. Not that i dont enjoy my 360 and some Halo goodness, but the fact remains: gamers love Wii. Casuals love Wii. Developers LOVE Wii. Everyone loves Wii. Simple as that.

Does that mean you actually brought that game 10 times you reatard?CASUALS love wii and (you said casuals how long will that last) developers love wii(lets squeeze more money out of last gens hardware while making it seem innovative)well just adding 'innovative' controls wont keep people happy for long fanboy

Smash brothers is trash you twat

Shadowblind
October 28th, 2007, 20:21
The innovative controls really have mass potential, but Nintendo is not too great on games for the Wii, whereas 360 has insanely awesome games, but the natural controls we've grown to love. Thats why, if MS and Nintendo were ever to cross their consoles (an absolute impossibility) there would be a video game global revolution.

ICE
October 28th, 2007, 20:51
The innovative controls really have mass potential, but Nintendo is not too great on games for the Wii, whereas 360 has insanely awesome games, but the natural controls we've grown to love. Thats why, if MS and Nintendo were ever to cross their consoles (an absolute impossibility) there would be a video game global revolution.

Actually I think the issue is Ninty is great on games for the Wii but no one else is :P

Shadowblind
October 28th, 2007, 21:44
Why would you think the Wii is the only console with good games?

ICE
October 28th, 2007, 22:31
No no you misunderstood. I meant that Ninty is good at making Wii games while other publishers are still figuring out how to.. make Wii games lol

Shadowblind
October 28th, 2007, 22:40
oooOOOHHHhh...yeah that is true. I guess that actually accounts for Metroid Prime being fun and Red Steel sucking up a storm :D

ICE
October 28th, 2007, 22:52
Oh god I tried to play red steel again a few days ago.. Its soooo bad.... I actually hear Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for the is supposed to be good. No friend codes, online, sharper controls than Metroid according to IGN. Looks decent visually too.

Back on topic now I really do have a good feeling about Wii in the future as far as getting some games :P

orochi_xxxx
October 29th, 2007, 10:37
Back on topic now I really do have a good feeling about Wii in the future as far as getting some games :P

Time will tell