PDA

View Full Version : PSP GNU CHESS: Chess game for PSP

zx-81
October 26th, 2007, 20:59
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/pspgchess-snap-v101.jpg

Hi All,

I'm pleased to announce a new homebrew for the PSP today !

GNU Chess is command line Chess program running on many differents systems such as UNIX, windows or MacOS. It was started in 1986 by Stuart Cracraft, who is continuing to develop it with other coders such as Chua Kong Sian, Stuart Cracraft, Lukas Geyer, Simon Waters and David A. Wheeler.

PSP Gnu Chess use the GNU Chess version 5.07 for the Artificial Intelligence, and i've added a Graphical User interface.

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

Sources are included, and this package is under the GNU public license,
read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

You can download it on my blog :
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/

Enjoy,

Zx.

PS: It's a first playable release but work still remain ...

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Lapiz
October 26th, 2007, 21:45
Awesome I love chess!!

O-bake
October 26th, 2007, 22:41
Wow, thank you ZX-81 :)

This is really a big one. The GNU Chess is great and it's way superior to the commercial chess game out there.
Just have to try it right now.
I'm so often stressed and have to travel by train and chess is the perfect medicine. But the existing chess on the PSP isn't perfect and the DS one is far too slow.
GNU Chess sounds perfect. Thanks :)

zx-81
October 27th, 2007, 13:40

madcupid
October 27th, 2007, 19:36
excellent dogg, thank you!!! very nice game...

phentex
October 28th, 2007, 00:11
Hi zx ;)

Et un homebrew qui claque en plus, ça devient une habitude :D

Just to report a little glitch (not really a bug) : when I press the button to select a pawn, if I stay pressed a bit to long, it selects-unselects-selects-unselects-... quite fast. Just thought maybe you could fix it... :p

Thx as usual of you clean work.

Cheers,
phentex

zx-81
October 28th, 2007, 21:32
Hi zx ;)

Just to report a little glitch (not really a bug) : when I press the button to select a pawn, if I stay pressed a bit to long, it selects-unselects-selects-unselects-... quite fast. Just thought maybe you could fix it... :p

I plan to fix it in the next release. Thanks for your feedback :)

Shadowblind
October 28th, 2007, 21:49
Thanks! I've always wondered; how is it possible to code a game with AI like this? I know its probably simple nowdays, but how do you create an AI that adapts to situations like in Chess?

zx-81
October 29th, 2007, 12:10
Thanks! I've always wondered; how is it possible to code a game with AI like this? I know its probably simple nowdays, but how do you create an AI that adapts to situations like in Chess?

It is very complex as you can imagine, most of all technics are based on a knowledge database, and after that the program should explore a representative set of movements for each piece, compute a cost, and take the best one. But it's well known to be a NP complete problem, and there are always many researches on such subjects.

fabulom
October 31st, 2007, 13:54
Thank you very much for making available a reasonable chess game on PSP. That was a dream come true! It is so much better than the buggy Online Chess Kingdom. If you plan to continue work on this one: Can you make the allowed thinking time per move a parameter, so you can adjust GNU chess' playing strength?

Anyway, a big hug from me! :thumbup:

zx-81
October 31st, 2007, 21:39
Can you make the allowed thinking time per move a parameter, so you can adjust GNU chess' playing strength?

yes, it's in my to-do list :D