PDA

View Full Version : Arcade-In-A-Box Xbox360 Controller - Licensing Issues Ahead?

wraggster
October 26th, 2007, 23:05
From an interview with Arcade-In-A-Box on gamingnexus.com about their Xbox360 Arcade Controller:

* Did you work closely with Microsoft on the product and if so how was that relationship?
* I've never spoken to anyone at Microsoft, so I guess our relationship is the same as most people. I'm a gamer, and they make a good console, and good games.

* If you have no current relationship with Microsoft, will there be any licensing issues by creating a controller that's going to be used for the Xbox 360?
* That I have no idea. If there is a problem I guess it would come from MadCatz since I'm using their pcbs. Maybe I didn't think through that aspect of it. Maybe MS will step up and provide me a means :). I wish MS would make it easier for small companies like me to create products for their systems.

* What are the chances that we'll see a wireless versions of the two 360 controllers?
* Probably not until after the holidays, if at all. The first problem is making the batteries easy to get to so you swap them out, where at the same time, making the unit still pretty to look at. The second problem is by removing the usb, you remove direct compatibility with windows PCs. Sure the wireless will work with windows, but you need to buy additional hardware to make that happen.

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Default.aspx?Section=Article&I=1620