PDA

View Full Version : Things you NEED with ubuntu

Cap'n 1time
October 27th, 2007, 19:00
I decided to compile a list of cool stuff people should grab for their ubuntu computers.

Wine
(W)ine (I)s (N)ot an (E)mulator is very useful for those of you wanted to use your old windows programs. It updates frequently and new apps get support all the time. I use it often to use my R4 DS cart. The application makes it easy to import and apply necessary patches to get games to run properly.
You can get wine from the ubuntu repositories (probably multiverse) but its better to use the official Wine repository. Learn more about it at www.winehq.com.

Xchat
In the new gusty release, xchat is replaced by a very lame multi chat client called Pidgin instant messenger (Which is great for AIM, Google talk, etc, but sucks for irc).
Xchat is in the main repositories. If you are used to mIRC and dont feel like using wine, this is what you need.

gcc, g++ and Anjuta IDE
gcc and g++ are very necessary to programmers and or people wanting to compile programs from source in either c or c++. Pop in your ubuntu CD and grab them like you usually would from the repositories. They install from the CD.
Anjuta is optional for those of you who like IDE's. I prefer it over the KDE IDE suite because its far less bloated and its very easy to use and configure.

Java, jdk, and netbeans.
you can get java and JDK from the restricted ubuntu repositories I believe. Netbeans sucks, but I have to use it. For those of you needing an IDE for the jdk you can get it from suns website. I hate it so much that I wont even post a link to it.

Cool Games
all of these can be found in the repositories:
Abuse, crackattack, rrootage, openglad, sauerbraten, the mana world (tmw), frets on fire, frozenbubble etc. (there are a lot of cool games available).

Alien Arena is on the repository, but has seen updates, I recommend finding the website and grabbing the binaries.

Anything to add that arnt default packages in ubuntu?

quzar
October 27th, 2007, 19:08
A primary OS.

Junixx
October 27th, 2007, 23:53
True Combat: Elite, a mod of Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory (Not the new Enemy Territory: Quake Wars)

Man
October 28th, 2007, 02:23
Compiz needs to be on that list, its an awsome program, other then it eats my exit buttons.

Cap'n 1time
October 28th, 2007, 02:44
A primary OS.

I've got one. ubuntu with linux, any questions?

Man
October 28th, 2007, 02:55
Is there any reason to update to breezy ?

Junixx
October 28th, 2007, 03:43
Is there any reason to update to breezy ?

The best quote works here, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Johnny Rash
October 28th, 2007, 03:50
When I was using Ubuntu primarily, I NEEDED LMMS!

Then I really needed the actual Fruity Loops, Reason, and Cubase.
Dual boot Windows XP with Ubuntu.

Triv1um
October 28th, 2007, 10:27
Xchat aint that bad for IRC.

Good list, crossover pro is better than the standard WINE, crossover has a GUI and its more compatable.

NoQuarter
October 28th, 2007, 10:44
blender

I upgraded so I don't know it's installed by default.
I didn't like ubuntu at first but it really grew on me,great on the laptop.

Man
October 28th, 2007, 19:39
blender

I upgraded so I don't know it's installed by default.
I didn't like ubuntu at first but it really grew on me,great on the laptop.

Ya i was a little afraid when i swiched, but now its working great, other then the occaisional corrupting of my external drives, i cant figure out why, its awsome on my laptop.

Can anyone post a link to a sweet guide on how to dual boot?

darkness angel 777
October 28th, 2007, 19:52
what is unbuntu?

Triv1um
October 28th, 2007, 23:38
what is unbuntu?

Ubuntu is a free linux based operating system. There are many linux distro(bution)s, like fedora, redhat, etc.

Ubuntu is a very user friendly distro, but there are still some bugs and compatability issues for it.

If you wish to try this out, I suggest downloading the current Ubuntu 'Live CD'. This CD lets you run the OS without installing anything whatsoever.

the_eternal_dark
November 11th, 2007, 23:22
k9copy to back up your dvds, listed in synaptic.

grip and lame media encoder to backup cd's to mp3 format easily, both are listed in synaptic.

Amarok, an iTunes replacement, that can transfer songs to and from your iPod. available in synaptic. needs kde dependencies. I have Amarok aimed at my ogg folder (which is created by grip) and use it for transferring my collection of mp3s to my ipod. I dropped rockbox and iPod Linux because the standard ipod firmware is supported better with Amarok.

Cedega 6.0.3, look for it in google, plays many windows games, including Half-Life 2 and CS Source.

The newest version of Nexuiz (2.3, I believe). 2.2 is in the Feisty repository still. Visit nexuiz.com for the 2.3 version.

Gdesklets.

Wine for running various winblows programs. Visit winehq.org for the latest release. 0.9.46 is the current one in the feisty repository. 0.9.49 is available from the website.

And if you want to experience something different, try installing the E17 environment. Here is the walkthrough for installing and setting up this Mac-esque environment: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746

Johnny Rash
November 11th, 2007, 23:33
I am dependent on Windows for music production.

Unless Cedega runs Reason, Fruity Loops, and Cubase, I will be using Windows for a long time.

Linux's version of that stuff is LMMS. And even then...it did not even come close to what I needed.

the_eternal_dark
November 12th, 2007, 00:38
I wouldn't use Cedega for running anything but games.

Working in Wine:
Reason
Fruity Loops (with some tweeking)
there are no reports of cubase running fully under wine, so you may want to try it if possible.

Try looking for ardour or rosegarden for a Cubase alternative.

Try out ubuntu without losing your windows stuff. Check this link for directions on running it: http://www.tanguay.info/web/tutorial.php?idCode=installUbuntuOnVmware

Johnny Rash
November 12th, 2007, 02:24
I'll look into it a bit later.

But for now, I'll just stick with Windows XP.

the_eternal_dark
November 12th, 2007, 04:37
I hope you are able to make that transition eventually Johnny Rash. Ubuntu, and Linux in general, will make you wonder why you didn't switch earlier.

the_eternal_dark
November 12th, 2007, 04:48
Ya i was a little afraid when i swiched, but now its working great, other then the occaisional corrupting of my external drives, i cant figure out why, its awsome on my laptop.

Can anyone post a link to a sweet guide on how to dual boot?

The corruption is due to how Linux writes to the fat file system, it doesn't try to re-write over any fragmentation and the drive continues to fragment over and over, eventually corrupting the data on it. It happens with my PSP sometimes. Linux will see 300MB free and PSP will read 1.xGB free. If you do not or will not use the external drive with a windows pc, I suggest formatting your external drives to ext3 to avoid corruption/fragmentation.

How to dual boot:

Install any windows os first, format the partition for the size you will need comfortably for windows (20GB can do, I recommend 30-50GB though). Once its finished, update and do what ever you want to your windows partition. Select the Linux distro disk you want, insert it into your optical drive, and reboot. In this example I will use Ubuntu. Once the Ubuntu live cd loads, select install from the desktop. Select the option to "Use remaining free space" (the quick way to do this). Follow through the prompts. Ubuntu will do its thing and need a restart. Restart, remove the disk and make your OS selection at the grub bootloader screen. Each should now boot as normal. Dual boot, jah!

Enjoy.

wind_mill
November 12th, 2007, 08:20
I Just made the switch to ubuntu around a month back. I was a windows loyalist for a long time , but vista just got on my nerves.

I would say, VLC media player to play your DVD's. Not sure if DVD's work with totem.....They didn't work for me

Yeah and in case Feisty Fawn is the primary OS, Activating Advanced Desktop Effects from the Add/Remove menu so u can customize the default compiz-fusion settings.

the_eternal_dark
November 12th, 2007, 19:08
I Just made the switch to ubuntu around a month back. I was a windows loyalist for a long time , but vista just got on my nerves.

I would say, VLC media player to play your DVD's. Not sure if DVD's work with totem.....They didn't work for me

Yeah and in case Feisty Fawn is the primary OS, Activating Advanced Desktop Effects from the Add/Remove menu so u can customize the default compiz-fusion settings.

Check this out for dvd playback (and other restricted formats) in Ubuntu (dvds will play in totem once the correct codec is installed, its one of the movie players of Mint): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Shrygue
November 12th, 2007, 19:27
I mostly run Windows XP but I run Ubuntu now and then as I have that placed in another hard drive. Oh, and I love those Advanced Desktop Effects on that OS, they're absolutely ace.

Off topic: the_eternal_dark, it's been a long time since we all saw you again.

the_eternal_dark
November 12th, 2007, 19:36
Off topic: the_eternal_dark, it's been a long time since we all saw you again.

Long time. I'm in the Navy, currently on vacation. I'm taking my laptop with me as I am to be stationed in Japan soon and have permission to take it with me (probably get this to keep in touch and store it easier than a laptop: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665256448)

I've missed these forums like crazy.

Shrygue
November 12th, 2007, 19:48
So you're with the Navy huh? You be safe out there when your vatcation finishes. That looks like a tablet PC in the link, looks sweet. Makes me want to get one but I've got no money though...

Ooops, going off the rails, better keep on track.

Anyway, I have Ubuntu (version 7.10) on my PC as I said and also got it on my PS3. Problem is the stupid resloution is rubbish. I trying to work out why I can't raise it without winding up with a blank screen. Also, I'm still wondering about having a better music player that the default one that's installed (can't remember the name though).

the_eternal_dark
November 12th, 2007, 20:14
On the carrier, not too much to worry about.

In the link, that was the sony vaio micro pc. Has a full qwerty slide down keypad and 2 digital cams, wifi, and memory stick reader.

To fix the resolution for PS3, have ps3pfutils installed to run ps3videomode. Also, look here: http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/PS3_Video_Mode

Better audio player, Amarok (and the KDE dependencies for it, Ubuntu will install it for you when you choose amarok from synaptic or add/remove programs).