PDA

View Full Version : Is ipod touch worth it.

Man
October 30th, 2007, 10:55
I wanted to buy an ipod touch, but does anybody have one ? and if so are they worth 300$?

lmtlmt
October 30th, 2007, 11:04
my mate has one and they are pretty frickin awesome, i was thinking of selling my ipod video to get one, i do recomend you get one, maybe wait til price goes down if the price is bugging you, you know how consumer elctronics are:p anyway all the features it has make it a worthwhile purhcase
:thumbup:

Nicko01
October 30th, 2007, 12:39
The only way i would ever get one is if they made a version with a hard drive instead of flash memory. That way we could get much more space for the money.
There may be problems with the data transer speed though.

AtariFreek
October 30th, 2007, 13:24
I wouldn't get one until the price goes down, because to be honest it's just an i-phone with no phone

V3N0M
October 30th, 2007, 13:34
Well I just picked up a 160gig iPod Classic for $350 and that has been an awesome buy. It was just as expensive as an iTouch but when it comes down to it.. 160gig iPod or 16gig iTouch Somehow I think I'm getting a better bang for my buck by going with the iPod Classic. Plus the new design is much smaller, sleaker, and the new menu is great aside from a few bugs.

ICE
October 30th, 2007, 14:33
I really want one myself. The fact that it uses Wi-Fi and has a very fast web browser is huge for me. Sounds to me like it does everything I carry my psp with me for but games much better lol.

EDIT: Heres a side question. Anyone know if Ipod Touch requires iTunes to put media on it???

Triv1um
October 30th, 2007, 18:02
too low gigage for the price.

Accordion
October 30th, 2007, 18:55
I really want one myself. The fact that it uses Wi-Fi and has a very fast web browser is huge for me. Sounds to me like it does everything I carry my psp with me for but games much better lol.

EDIT: Heres a side question. Anyone know if Ipod Touch requires iTunes to put media on it???

I have one. 16GB, yes it requires itunes to be activated and to add music/videoes/photos/bookmarks/contacts/calendar.

Once you 'jailbreak' it and enable calendar editing, themes, NES, dictionary, etc. it becomes very useful.

[for those asking for a HDD version: invent a suitable battery and make it so.]

Man
October 30th, 2007, 19:20
Ya im looking at jail breaking it, but will it mess with iTunes ? Its funny because no one in my school has ever heard of ipod touch.

Accordion
October 30th, 2007, 21:11
if you jailbreak properly it will function like normal, I used "ijailbreak" for mac. But there are automatic applications for windows as well.
Painless.

Whether if it is worth the cost falls down to
• how much storage you want [i have around 5gb free, so anything larger wouldnt really be worthwhile.]
•The importance of a mobile Internet browser
•The importance of being able to check your email[thanks to to jailbreak]
•If you want an iphone but don't want to put up with the contract and ancient hardware: 2mp camera[no flash or video!], lack of 3g, etc.

Posting from my iPod is fun.

acn010
October 30th, 2007, 22:20
im not a fan of the ipods... i know. i should slapped...
it sisnt amaze me since the beginning cause its just a harddrive with a battery and a plug....

sourced
October 31st, 2007, 02:25
its basically the iPhone, without the phone part. useless.

kcajblue
October 31st, 2007, 03:23
I wouldn't get one until the price goes down, because to be honest it's just an i-phone with no phonei always say the same thing.
except i add that it has no camera too.

anyway, im going to get one.
even though you totally get ripped off on the memory.
the 80 GB classic is 249 or 245 or something like that.
and the 8 GB touch is 299.
wtf.

Man
October 31st, 2007, 03:26

I hear you on that, but i could sticky tape my phone to the ipod, then it would still be cooler then the iPhone. lol, im definitaly getting my mom to buy it for me when she goes to the states because of :

ipod in Canada : 329 x (1.14)tax= 375CAN (roughly)

ipod in states = 299US= 285CAN (tax) = less

so by my method, and considering the US and Canadian dollar conversions, it seems best that i get some one to buy it for me in the states.

Accordion
October 31st, 2007, 12:26

without the huge contract cost and sub-standard features.

ICE
October 31st, 2007, 14:45
The fact that its not a phone is one of the reasons I want it. Do you have any idea how much the iphone is to use? Plus I dont need a phone :p

kcajblue
November 1st, 2007, 01:43
do you have to be at a wifi spot to use the internet?
or can it connect anywhere like the iphone.

ICE
November 1st, 2007, 03:32
Wi-Fi

kcajblue
November 1st, 2007, 04:14
aww.
thats not cool.
but whatever.
ill still get one.

ICE
November 1st, 2007, 04:26
Wi-Fi means you dont have to pay to use it though..

kcajblue
November 1st, 2007, 04:51
i know that.
but its cool.
its still internet.
and its better than no internet.

JPJunkie
November 1st, 2007, 11:04
Simple answer Yes

kcajblue
November 1st, 2007, 14:07
???
who are you talking to?
or more specifically what are you answering yes to?

ICE
November 1st, 2007, 15:00
Lol I was wondering the same thing..

JPJunkie
November 3rd, 2007, 08:51
O yeah I was messed up so I wasn't clear lol

I meant to the thread question

acn010
November 3rd, 2007, 09:39
hmm.... still doesn't amaze me.... and its a huge screen which means it can brake fast

Safari Al
November 3rd, 2007, 14:09
i actually might be getting one soon. From what ive seen i expected it to be a lot more. I rememebr when the ipod video was around 300

kcajblue
November 3rd, 2007, 16:05
yeah.
i got ripped off.
i got a video when they first came out.
it was $323.33 total.
and you can get a much better one with that much money.

Cap'n 1time
November 3rd, 2007, 18:06
[for those asking for a HDD version: invent a suitable battery and make it so.]

Not to mention that hdd's have moving parts, which are MUCH more likely to fuxor up. The flash memory should last a very long time in comparison.

steve520
November 3rd, 2007, 20:47
wow the ipod touch does seem really awesome and pretty small to i watched a youtube video they look really cool ill buy one only when they get some cool hacks on the thing.

Man
November 3rd, 2007, 22:52
they are cool i bought one last night, and already have it haxored LOL its really easy to do I just didn't install the unix tools to run apps and games. I'm typing this on my iPod right now wilst my harddrive is partitioning so I can sync my iPod and put some music on it bescause apparently apple has a mad hate-on for Linux users.

Cap'n 1time
November 4th, 2007, 01:56
they are cool i bought one last night, and already have it haxored LOL its really easy to do I just didn't install the unix tools to run apps and games. I'm typing this on my iPod right now wilst my harddrive is partitioning so I can sync my iPod and put some music on it bescause apparently apple has a mad hate-on for Linux users.

I'm curious which one you bought (8 or 16 gigger... do they have a 4?), and what you paid for it. It seems Canadians are getting ripped off ever since the economy adjusted in your favor yet you still pay more some times.

Man
November 4th, 2007, 02:37
I'm curious which one you bought (8 or 16 gigger... do they have a 4?), and what you paid for it. It seems Canadians are getting ripped off ever since the economy adjusted in your favor yet you still pay more some times.

I have the eight gig and i ended up getting ripped off because I live in a relativly small town I payed just under 400$ after tax. I could have bought one n the states but I'm very impaitent, and 90% Of the kids at my school have never heard of iPod touch, so I'm expecting a lot of oohs and awwes come wendsday.

kcajblue
November 4th, 2007, 05:00
when i get one, ill probably be paying around the same even though i am in the states.

gurprizzle
November 10th, 2007, 01:05
I have the eight gig and i ended up getting ripped off because I live in a relativly small town I payed just under 400$ after tax. I could have bought one n the states but I'm very impaitent, and 90% Of the kids at my school have never heard of iPod touch, so I'm expecting a lot of oohs and awwes come wendsday.

Wow, I'm surprised at alot of people. I paid $395 for my 16 gig iPod Touch. Everybody, it's called eBay people! EBAY!! And Yes, it kicks assets.

Cap'n 1time
November 10th, 2007, 03:03
Wow, I'm surprised at alot of people. I paid $395 for my 16 gig iPod Touch. Everybody, it's called eBay people! EBAY!! And Yes, it kicks assets.

$395 for a 16 gig ipod touch is very close to the retail price... Thats assuming that you included the shipping cost with that final price. Hate to say it, but you didnt really save much money... plus you had to wait for it to ship... Sort of wasted your time there eh? :p

Mars12343
November 10th, 2007, 03:42
Up to 17% off at apple!

http://www.apple.com/eppstore/mcd

P.S. if anyone asks you work for McDonald's xD

I just bought one from there and they never asked me anything about where i worked... so in my opinion well worth it considering how much you save...

lmtlmt
November 10th, 2007, 04:35
P.S. if anyone asks you work for McDonald's xD

uuuummmmm why?

JPJunkie
November 10th, 2007, 13:00
I don't wanna say I work at McDonald's lol

Triv1um
November 10th, 2007, 13:08
Well to get your money off you need to.

ITs a wiered scheme, why just for employed people?

JPJunkie
November 10th, 2007, 13:16
Well I suppose if it saves money I'm for it

the_eternal_dark
November 11th, 2007, 20:23
I'd say if you want a larger screen, get the touch. If you want 160GBs of storage and no possible way to view/listen to all of your media in one single charge, get the ipod classic. Personally, I don't see the need in getting a media player with more than 8GB (4GB is just enough in most cases), because, if ripped and converted correctly (like Silence of the Lambs, it's <225MB) can take very little room and still look great. You still can have room for lots of songs and pics as well.

If iPod Linux is ported (properly) to the touch, I'd tell you to get the hell to the store and get it today.