PDA

View Full Version : Warner Home Video to support Blu-ray exclusively?

wraggster
October 30th, 2007, 22:33
Don't etch this one in stone just yet, but for those keeping a close eye on studios and which camp(s) they support, here's the latest. Reportedly, a so-called Blu-ray Festival has been raging in Hollywood, and aside from BD backers showing up in support of upcoming / existing films, there have also been a few interesting remarks uttered along the way. Most notably, Dan Silverberg, VP of high-definition media for Warner Home Video, stated that "one thing that may be changing is [Warner's] strategy," and he continued by proclaiming that hardware prices had reached a point where consumers "no longer wanted to decide" which format reigned supreme. The speech actually got interesting when he mentioned that the "notion of staying in two formats for the duration is something the company was re-evaluating."
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/30/warner-home-video-to-support-blu-ray-exclusively/

acn010
October 30th, 2007, 22:36
i knew blue ray will be the winner of this battle of formats.... i also prefer blue ray discs

JKKDARK
October 30th, 2007, 22:38
Damn I hoe it's not true. I want this company supporting at least hd-dvd also

F9zDark
October 30th, 2007, 23:04
I hope it is true. Format wars are stupid and have and only do, hurt consumers.

ngin.small
October 30th, 2007, 23:18
HAHAHAHAHAHA!! HD-DVD is down and pretty much for the count. I always knew Blu-ray would win but I never thought that it would win by so much. I also hope that its true but it pretty much already is considering on what they said.

DPyro
October 31st, 2007, 02:54
IMO Blu-ray is the better format. More secure, more storage, not as easily scratchable, and supports more formats.

pibs
October 31st, 2007, 03:09
So does that mean Blu-ray is in first place HD-Dvd in second and HD-VMD in third lol

DPyro
October 31st, 2007, 14:26
Uh, I think HD-VMD is vaporware ATM.

nomi
October 31st, 2007, 14:27
I liked Blu-ray as a format better than HD DVD... but wat the heck is a HD-VMD... is it a HD Virtual Media Disc?? never heard of it...

acn010
October 31st, 2007, 14:54
and sounds fancy too... "blue ray discs" lol

Elven6
October 31st, 2007, 16:42
That dosen't mean they are saying they will only support blu ray, they could go exclusive for either one of them, i hope HD DVD is the format they support, for obious reasons, they will probably choose the format that pays the most money in the end.

irongiant
November 1st, 2007, 12:19
Warner going Blu Ray would mean this 'war' would be pretty much over.. the Paramount/Dreamworks exclusivity with HDDVD is temporary. Even with Transformers selling so much on HD it turns out that Blu Ray still sold more overall.

Sales so far for the year are split 65% Blu Ray and 35% HDDVD.

The new Pioneer Blu Ray players running on their Kuro TVs look fantastic!