PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Elite or PS3 40GB

JPJunkie
October 31st, 2007, 12:17
Which should I get? I can't decide. Tell me what you think please!

Also do you no where the cheapest place to get these consoles from is? (UK)

JKKDARK
October 31st, 2007, 12:40
Get an Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 is a commercial failure.

AngelicLiver
October 31st, 2007, 15:56
It really depends on the games you'd want to play. Look at each consoles exclusives and make your own decision. Asking on a forum is like throwing rocks at wasps/fanboy nest.

If you ask me, I'd get a 360. There is already a substantial library of great games (some awesome budget titles at that) and plenty of exclusives or multi-platform titles on the horizon that'll keep anyone happy. As for buying a 360, try Play.com (http://www.play.com). Some good prices on bundles, quick shipping and great budget titles like Rainbow Six Vegas, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Call of Duty 3, Oblivion, C&C 3, Saint's Row, Crackdown, GRAW and tons more besides.

The PS3 is a great bit of kit but unless more then just Metal Gear Solid 4 start whetting my appetite I'll stick to the 360 alone. My wallet appreciates that too.

dejkirkby
October 31st, 2007, 15:57
I voted PS3!

ICE
October 31st, 2007, 15:57
I prefer the PS3 hardware but.. for now all the games are on 360..

Sonicboy 101
October 31st, 2007, 17:27
Ps3.

Malksta
October 31st, 2007, 17:48
As a PS3 owner, I say 360. PS3 barely has any good games at the moment as 360 has lots :)

ExcruciationX
October 31st, 2007, 17:48

Napalm-Death
October 31st, 2007, 18:13
Ps3.

Shrygue
October 31st, 2007, 19:37
Get the Playstation 3 - it's ace (although most - if not all - of the big titles such as MGS4 and GTA4 won't be out until next year).

Napalm-Death
October 31st, 2007, 20:10
Get the Playstation 3 - it's ace (although most - if not all - of the big titles such as MGS4 and GTA4 won't be out until next year).

This man speaks the truth!

beetroot bertie
October 31st, 2007, 20:20
It really depends on the games you'd want to play. Look at each consoles exclusives and make your own decision.

Amen to that brother. Just see what games you want to play. Like most I think the PS3 is a better made machine and quieter, with more out of the box, but you really need to decide how you're going to use it. If HD movies and Wifi from the get go are important to you, it might swing it for the PS3.

I don't own a PS3 but I've played on one and it was impressive. I played Ridge Racer 7, Resistance: FoM and the racing game set in the canyons (soz, can't remember the name). All looked great, but not any better than anything I've seen of the 360. On the negative side the controller felt light and cheap.

I do own the 360 and it's very good. It has many flaws - it's noisy, huge power pack, sticking disc tray plus concerns over the failure rates but it's been fine since I bought it 12 and half months ago. The controller is excellent (apart from the appalling D-Pad), much better than the PS3 one in my opinion.

The games are great too, with a great selection to choose from. So all I can say is see what game you want to play and buy the appropriate console, unless you're rich in that case buy both :D

One issue that may swing it is your mates. What do they have? If a few have the same console then online play will be great if you can co-ordinate when they're on with yourself, and you'll have access to a greater amount of games. That's actually what made me choose the 360.

If I had to vote, I'd say the 360 just because I have enjoyed mine. But don't blame me if it breaks down on you.

As for cost, I dunno the best deal. I bought mine in a bundle from Game, but that was over a year ago now. Maybe get one from somewhere you know you can take it back to if there's a problem.

Hey Napalm. You named after the band?

Napalm-Death
October 31st, 2007, 23:25
Hey Napalm. You named after the band?

Nope, well, not directly. I named myself this after hearing Sol Badguy yell it during his instant kill, the "Napalm Death" which is a reference to the band. Haha.

SSaxdude
November 1st, 2007, 01:14
If you want a Blu-Ray player with controllers, get a PS3. If you want a console with good games, get an Xbox 360.

Junixx
November 1st, 2007, 02:26
I voted for 360.

quzar
November 1st, 2007, 02:31
Buy a DC and the top 20 games for it. It should cost you less and give you 10x the amount of time and fun.

Shadowblind
November 1st, 2007, 03:04
MGS4 doesnt account for the 100 insane games 360 has. 360 hands down. The second the PS3 gets something that isn't a gimmick that the 360 doesn't do just as good or better, I'll give the PS3 the privilage of a yawn.

pibs
November 1st, 2007, 06:59
depends id say 360 if u want superb online game play, i haven't really touched my ps3 maybe the new ratchet and clank game will change my mind but then again...... gh3 on live looks pretty awesome.

JPJunkie
November 1st, 2007, 09:58
This question is for both consoles

What do you actually use the memory for?

Will it make a big difference if I get a 20 GB Xbox or 120 GB Xbox?

Will I ever use more than 20 GB?

I can't think :confused:

beetroot bertie
November 2nd, 2007, 10:07
If you like downloading (and keeping) demos or other content then you could fill a 20GB drive quite quickly. A lot of demos are around the 1GB size, and if you like buying map packs to add to your games then it's quite easy to fill the 20GB drive. You have to be quite ruthless at times and chuck some stuff you don't need.

If you plumped for the 360 you could always get the bigger drive separately later if you require it, but it's not particularly good value for money.

Going back to deals, I saw an ad in the paper today for Argos. They're doing a Premium 360 with Halo 3, plus another free game (you choose from a selection), plus a mega accessory pack (wired controller, base stand, remote, faceplate and steering wheel/pedals) for £249.50.

Seems decent value to me but the offer ends tues 6th Nov.

I'd still shop around first though, see what else other places are offering.

mnuhaily22
November 2nd, 2007, 11:19
PS3 if you like features, but 360 if you just plain love games, I had a 360 a while ago, and I got the red lights, so then I just went with PS3... I can't say it was a bad move, not once has it froze or had any problems, btw I got the 60gb American Model...

JPJunkie
November 2nd, 2007, 20:40
Cool

Can you play PS2 games on the PS3?

JW

SSaxdude
November 2nd, 2007, 20:52
Can you play PS2 games on the PS3?

Both NTSC and PAL 40 gb PS3s have PS2 compatibility taken out (according to wikipedia.) If you want PS2 compatibility and live in Europe, you'll have to get a 60 gb PS3 but it has software emulation instead of the PS2 chip inside it like the NTSC models. Here's the compatibility of PSX/PS2 games using software emulation: http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/

lmtlmt
November 2nd, 2007, 23:25
I'd have to say ps3, i love my ps3 and you cant say that ps3 has no good games because i have 7 games for it and they are all good so i dont know where that is coming from, secondly i have only played a 360 at the shops and in played PGR3 and some motorbike game, anyway PGR3 is a fantastic game and i wish i could get it for ps3, but that doesnt mean i regret my purchase, motorstorm and ridge racer 7 keep me just as entertained.

i guess i cant really give a blanced vote since i dont own both but i do recommend the ps3 console.

JPJunkie
November 4th, 2007, 19:25
I think I may be getting a PS3 :confused:

dejkirkby
November 4th, 2007, 21:53
Good choice!

JPJunkie
November 5th, 2007, 17:19
Thanks! lol

But I still haven't fully decided

dejkirkby
November 5th, 2007, 17:42
Then maybe bad choice...

Johnny Rash
November 5th, 2007, 17:49
First Xbox 360...because it's on it's way to my house...

Then PS3, when I can peel $20 bills off my ass.

pibs
November 5th, 2007, 17:51
ps3 is great but it doesn't have that solid of a lineup yet. either way if get ps3 i recommend resistance and if u get 360 u need gears of war. Or you could play the waiting game and save up for next year and see if there is any price drops :)

Triv1um
November 5th, 2007, 20:48
If you want a good huge range of games NOW, then get a Xbox 360.

If youre abit more patient and your willing to wait for a better big line of games and more functions and support, get a Playstation 3.

My vote is ps3.

quzar
November 5th, 2007, 21:46
If you want a good huge range of games NOW, then get a Xbox 360.

If youre abit more patient and your willing to wait for a better big line of games and more functions and support, get a Playstation 3.

My vote is ps3.

Patience would be waiting until the lineup of games exists for the PS3, THEN spending the money on it.
Then again I almost always stay one generation behind because I see it as more practical. I wait until a system is basically dead, because then it's easy to look back and see what games for it are worth getting and whatnot.

Playing a game to me is like reading a book. If it's good, it doesn't matter when it was written, so why pay extra to read it right away?