PDA

View Full Version : "next" gen?

shadowprophet
October 31st, 2007, 15:05
What is with all this next gen talk that is spreading about. The wii, the 360 and the ps3 are considered "next" gen. While the cube the xbox and the ps2 are considered last gen?

So what would "current" gen technology be? Are we just without?

I was watching a commercial for the complete lego star wars saga, even media hails current gen consoles as "next gen"

Is it that, current generation consoles have yet to be accepted as "current"?

Anyway, what do you guys think? why are current gen consoles being hailed as "Next gen"?

Personally, I think its because the words "next Gen" are more marketable then current gen. Anyway. I'm going to go play gears of war on my "current gen" console, Be back later guys.

ICE
October 31st, 2007, 15:16
Yeah I think the term should be current gen. It seems illogical to call it next gen doesn't it?

JKKDARK
October 31st, 2007, 15:23
Next Gen is the latest generation.

pibs
October 31st, 2007, 15:32
Yea I think its pretty stupid too, maybe the name stuck from back in o6 when 6th gen was just about ending and they started announcing 360,ps3, and revolution as "next-gen".

Yea shadow I think that the word is more profitable, people probably see "next-gen as futuristic and who would want to be living in the past when they can be living in a world of "futuristic entertainment"or next-gen as they seem to call it. Seems like a very good marketing strategy.

ICE
October 31st, 2007, 15:49
Next Gen is the latest generation.

However logically "next" gen should refer to the gen after this one.

Also SP you should start replying to your Wii-mail :P

acn010
October 31st, 2007, 16:03
a.... on my opinion, next gen ,means this is the technology were having is new... soon enough... in about 2-3 more years, these console will be consider current... meh....

ICE
October 31st, 2007, 16:07
How can something be current in a few years? :p lol

acn010
October 31st, 2007, 16:15
as i said, in a few years... when were actually dated when everyone has the "system" is no wconsider current...
well do you have a ps3??? i do but not many people does...

ICE
October 31st, 2007, 16:20
"Next gen" referring to the current generation of consoles makes about as much sense as your post!!! :rofl:

acn010
October 31st, 2007, 17:01
sorry im hust doing stuff... no time!!!

Accordion
October 31st, 2007, 17:13
while i think calling current gen. systems next gen. systems makes as much sense as calling you console '360' it most likely has some connection to trying to distinguish between the '3' and the other consoles we have.

other wise current generation would include:
Xbox360, Wii, DS, PSP, PC, GBA micro, Playstation2, and Playstation3.

Because the ps2 is still a viable option when purchasing a console, when by most standards it is last gen.

JKKDARK
October 31st, 2007, 23:52
while i think calling current gen. systems next gen. systems makes as much sense as calling you console '360' it most likely has some connection to trying to distinguish between the '3' and the other consoles we have.

other wise current generation would include:
Xbox360, Wii, DS, PSP, PC, GBA micro, Playstation2, and Playstation3.

Because the ps2 is still a viable option when purchasing a console, when by most standards it is last gen.

GBASP is actually selling more than the GBA Micro.

PS2 is not supported like the seventh generation consoles, you will not see Final Fantasy XIII, Virtua Fighter, Devil May Cry, etc, anymore.
By your logic, the Dreamcast was a viable option until (at least) March 8th 2007.
You can't add a sixth generation console/handheld to the current generation.

Accordion
November 1st, 2007, 00:39
the PS2 still has a large store space around the world. There are still games released in all stores. the console is still manufactured.

My point was that the term 'next gen" is applied to the 360, PS3 and Wii even though they are current because they are still competing will "last gen" console.

SSaxdude
November 1st, 2007, 01:08
Give it a year or two and the 360/PS3/Wii will be the "current" generation.

JPJunkie
November 1st, 2007, 11:04
Yeah it is a bit annoying that

bah
November 1st, 2007, 12:24
Console makers always term up-coming consoles as next-gen whilst there is(was) an existing lineup of consoles (xbox, ps2, cube) that still get games produced for them, and are in no rush to change it once the new ones replace them as it just sounds better.

Tech-illiterate people or suckers for marketing love things like that, why buy what's current when you can have the next generation. That's a whole generation better.
Who needs a benchmark for the abilities of each product when the box that one of your options comes in claims to have futuristic benefits? :)

Marketing's a bitch, but its not going anywhere.
It seems its about the 1/2 way point in a console's life cycle (when a new model you have to wait with bated breath to pay for is announced) before they give up on the 'next gen' moniker.