PDA

View Full Version : Free XBL for all next month!

Shrygue
October 31st, 2007, 18:25
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=174816)

Cheapskates, mark your calendars; 'Xtival 07' marks a weekend of free Xbox Live Gold access for Xbox 360 owners with a broadband connection, and it's all happening in a few weeks time.

According to various fan sites under Microsoft's community wing, the online event will take place on the weekend starting November 23, when all Xbox 360 owners with a broadband connection will be able to access Gold account luxuries such as online play.

A "full line-up" of Xbox Live events, competitions and exclusive downloads are promised for the weekend and it's only open to European countries - so you've only got swearing, 13-year-old Frenchmen to worry about.

Microsoft wasn't available to confirm the event at time of writing.

So... fantastic news, or more excuse to moan about Xbox Live's comparatively harsh pricing structure next to the free PlayStation Network? Go ballistic in the comments below. Please.

beetroot bertie
October 31st, 2007, 19:56
I don't mind paying for it, the service is pretty good but of course I would prefer it for nowt, especially if competitors can offer such a service for free. After all, I could be getting a new game instead. I only buy so many games a year, so I choose to purchase less or buy pre-owned if I have to pay for the live service.

I think it would be good of MS to soften the blow by offering more freebies for gold users such as free points to spend or 3 free XBLA downloads, that sort of thing. Even free gamer pics or more free media (the videos available to download are small in number and infrequently updated - so much so I hardly look anymore) would be nice and help dismiss the feeling that they're happy to take you for every penny they can.