PDA

View Full Version : Gamers, Our Brains Are Limited To Tracking 8 Objects At Once

wraggster
November 2nd, 2007, 19:37
Researchers long believed that human perception was limited to tracking four moving objects at one time. But a new study, challenging participants to follow 16 dots moving at a very slow pace on a computer screen, found that participants were able to track up to eight objects at once (or double what we previously thought possible).

The major downfall of our ability to track objects is speed. Because once these dots hit the on-screen speed of 0.15 metres per second, subjects were only able to track one dot at a time.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/research/gamers-our-brains-are-limited-to-tracking-eight-objects-at-once-317736.php

kcajblue
November 2nd, 2007, 23:12
weird news, but interesting.

Veskgar
November 3rd, 2007, 06:53
Well I have noticed my peripheral vision and reflexes are pretty damn sharp. I'm not sure if this is attributed to being a gamer or if there are other factors behind it. But its good to know that gaming can have some positive effects like this.

I also remember reading that gamers make better surgeons.

kcajblue
November 3rd, 2007, 16:09
i could see how that could happen.
we do have to focus a lot on some games.

The King
November 3rd, 2007, 16:23
nice to know that I can keep track of stuff better than a regular person

Hypershell
November 3rd, 2007, 22:04
The major downfall of our ability to track objects is speed.You know, the fact that they need to perform a study to confirm this doesn't exactly instill confidence in the scientific community.

Interesting news, though.

jamotto
November 4th, 2007, 03:50
You know, the fact that they need to perform a study to confirm this doesn't exactly instill confidence in the scientific community.

Actually you want them to perform these studies a scientist cannot make assumptions, no matter how obvious it is to you and I.

SSaxdude
November 4th, 2007, 18:19
I also remember reading that gamers make better surgeons.

Turk on Scrubs said something along the lines of that.