PDA

View Full Version : Target Pulling Manhunt 2

wraggster
November 4th, 2007, 10:13
via evil avatar: (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38911)

I just spoke to a contact at my local Target store, who informed me of an interesting internal memo. Apparently all Target stores are to stop selling Manhunt 2, going so far as to tell managers to refuse shipments of the title for all systems, with Take 2 agreeing to take back all unopened copies of the game.

Why is this action being taken? The extreme violence in the game is the given reason, but my contact (an employee but not a manager) was told that it was due in greater part to the unfavorable coverage the game got in the national press the last several days. Target stores had been selling the game since it's launch, but it was only today that they were told to pull the product and refuse further shipments.

The listing for Manhunt 2 on the Target website shows that the item is "not available in stores."

I've spoken to employees of several other large retailers (Best Buy, Gamestop and Circuit City) and none of them are, at this time, taking similar actions.

Fun fun fun

sourced
November 4th, 2007, 13:32
wow. could this be the end for Rockstar...

Shadowblind
November 4th, 2007, 14:00
Nah, hardly anyone ever goes to Target for games anyway. They go to Gamestop or EB games, or Rhino.

AngelicLiver
November 4th, 2007, 14:08
Here's hoping. I'm not for censoring video games but when a company such as Rockstar puts out material marketed so blatantly with controversy they should expect repercussions. I honestly see no artistic merit in Manhunt 2, there is no coherent plot and frankly it's simply sadistic violence they unquestionably use to target a teenage audience.

Regardless of what some stupid US lawyer may believe, it's still not the games' fault. Yes the developer is irresponsible but at the end of the day it is mature content that is intended for adults and is marked as such on the packaging. Every parent that buys this for their kids is to blame and frankly if they are that stupid I worry how mentally sound their children are when they view material like this and not have it put in context.

Hawq
November 4th, 2007, 14:17
wow. could this be the end for Rockstar...
Jack?

voorheesda
November 4th, 2007, 17:33
Comeon, this game isnt more violent than GTA or Postal 2...and you definitly wont take up murdering because of this game.

Itīs just a freaking interactive story, almost identical to movies.

osgeld
November 4th, 2007, 17:44
funny, NO MANHUNT FOR YOU, you sick little puppies

but instead here buy Saw II or III unrated versions!

http://www.target.com/dp/B000LC3ID8/sr=1-23/qid=1194198134/ref=sr_1_23/601-6823087-9196139?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Asaw&page=1

hypocritical dipshits

Shadowblind
November 4th, 2007, 17:58
Postal 2 isn't near this bad, but still.....whether your a murderer, or a wanna-be murderer, you probably want this game. In fact, thats probably the ONLY way you want this game.

VexnadFett
November 4th, 2007, 19:31
More turbulent rough patches for the game industry.... Hell! I even get flak from my mother just for being involved with games, and somehow it's all connected... damn public news!

geise69
November 5th, 2007, 19:52
and this game is good because...?