PDA

View Full Version : UO gpSP kai 3.2 test 07 - GBA Emulator for Windows

wraggster
November 4th, 2007, 18:37
Takka (http://takka.tfact.jp/blog/2007/11/uo-gpsp-kai-32-test-07.html) has released a new version of his Unnoficial work on Exophases excellent GBA Emulator for the PSP (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/gpsp-0-9-gba-emulator-for-the-psp-full-speed--46046.html).

Google translation is rubbish as usual so any one who can understand japanese please help via comments

Download Here (http://takka.tfact.jp/blog/2007/11/04/UO_gpSP_kai_32_test_07.zip) and Give Feedback Via Comments

Nikolaos
November 4th, 2007, 19:15
For windows? lol

kiariki
November 4th, 2007, 19:17
For the first time since Takka has been making the "variations" from gpSP 0.9, it finally works on my Phat PSP. Final Fantasy VI and Fire Emblem VI work perfectly now. :) Of course, I'm not saying Takka did a better job than Exophase did, since the emulator is completely his with little tweaks by Takka.

I just hope he's been asking permission from Exophase...

masamune
November 4th, 2007, 21:25
I thought Exophase had made some objections in the past about these unofficial releases of his work, but he did release the source code. I would also like to know his thoughts on this.

Cloudhunter
November 4th, 2007, 23:22
I thought Exophase had made some objections in the past about these unofficial releases of his work, but he did release the source code. I would also like to know his thoughts on this.

It's simple. Exophase did indeed release the source, however Takka - rather than offering to work with Exophase - started to start up his own branch of it.

Exophase did contact him, but Takka didn't treat Exophase with the respect he deserves being the original author of the project.

I've never tried an unofficial release of this emulator, and I never plan to personally, on a matter of principle.

Cloudy

Shadowblind
November 5th, 2007, 00:51
Finally, a release of GpSp that works on PSP SLim. Still, the whole unnofficial release bugs me...and the eboot is ugly. I literally downloaded a program and spent about 30 minutes just to change its look.

Shadowy

Lodis
November 5th, 2007, 02:10
Finally, a release of GpSp that works on PSP SLim. Still, the whole unnofficial release bugs me...and the eboot is ugly. I literally downloaded a program and spent about 30 minutes just to change its look.

Shadowy

There is already a version that works on the Slim, gpSP 0.9 for Hen D ported by Dark Alex.

John Vattic
November 5th, 2007, 04:12
;Holy Hell Wrag. what the hell did you do to the site?:confused: it takes 5 minutes to load every page? I mean, yeah, what the hell man?

And this is a tv out test for slim psp's.

It allows for fullscreen tv out with only composite(yellow,red,and white) cables.

This is important to us who don't have a 600+$ TV.

This can be done with most homebrew emu's and hopefully ps1 games.

So they got me to buy a slim and now i have to get a tv to play the f*@#ing thing.

No Bravia for me now, that's for damn sure.;)

Veskgar
November 5th, 2007, 04:24
Finally, a release of GpSp that works on PSP SLim. Still, the whole unnofficial release bugs me...

The HenD version of the official gpSP 0.9 works perfect on the Slim & Lite. Its what I use on mine.

A lot of the little tweaks and stuff that Takka likes to throw in could most likely by accomplished by Exophase in a fraction of the time.

From what I interpret, Exophase is more interested in largely significant updates rather than 'tweaks' while at the same time improving compatibility rather than breaking it.

I can't believe its almost been a year since gpSP 0.9 was released. Since it was written from scratch, it is still today probably the best and most impressive emulator for the PSP.

I certainly don't want Exophase to get angry but what caused a fury of determination last year to get gpSP 0.9 finished was the frequent releases by Takka and the confusion that ensued. So perhaps this new wave of unofficial releases will cause Exophase to release a superior authentic and official gpSP 1.0 ---

Patience is a virtue.

;Holy Hell Wrag. what the hell did you do to the site?:confused: it takes 5 minutes to load every page? I mean, yeah, what the hell man?
Ok good, so its not just me or my connection then. Yes, DCEMU has seemed ridiculously slow lately. Sometimes not even loading at all until I hit refresh like 3 or 4 times. What gives?

IrishGuy1087
November 6th, 2007, 06:22
well i personally talked to exophase about takka, he isnt happy, that is what i got from it, he didnt give me any concrete answers, prob so i couldnt go around saying anything about the manner, but from what i gathered, he defenetly wasnt happy, and for future releases, i gathered that he will not continue work until he gets his hands on a slim, and i dont see that happening anytime soon =/

Baboon
November 6th, 2007, 16:26
Ok good, so its not just me or my connection then. Yes, DCEMU has seemed ridiculously slow lately. Sometimes not even loading at all until I hit refresh like 3 or 4 times. What gives?

I thought it was just my PC! lol

I've also tried recently getting on to this site via my psp and it craps out everytime now. :(

Please sort it out wraggy!

- sorry if my message was totaly off topic!

Exophase
November 6th, 2007, 17:36
I don't really care what he does anymore (so it'd be good if everyone would quit saying I'm throwing a hissy fit over it.. sorry, that's mostly people in other places). Unfortunately that's partially because I've been working on other things instead of gpSP. I do hope to work on it some more later, although I'm not certain what I'm going to do with it, aside from some fixes and and small optimizations that aren't in it now. I had some big ideas to improve performance but they were quite sketchy and complicated.

I didn't quit, and I especially didn't quit because of Takka (I'd like to put an end to that rumor too), I'm just working on other things right now. However it is true that I'm not really interested in evaluating all of the little features and otherwise arbitrary modifications he has made to gpSP, I've spent several hours doing that in the past (far more time than I would have spent adding the features I actually thought were useful, which is usually only a few of them) and I don't really feel like doing it again. Rather than evaluating his source I'll probably just ask testers to tell me what they think I should add.

It also doesn't really help that everyone is expecting a version "1.0", which signifies a lot and puts a lot of pressure on me to deliver something very polished and "complete."

Whenever I do release another version I'll probably be changing the license. Although I already know this will cause me to lose respect with a few people I'd really prefer to have more control over the development. You'd still be able to get the source (probably), you'd just have to go through me to do so.

Strongbadunit2
November 6th, 2007, 17:48
I personally can't think of much that can be added to gpSP besides Multiplayer, savestate thumbnails, video out, and getting like 2 more games to work. To me this seems unnecessary I personally think .9 should have been 1.0 then no one would be complaining then if you ever got around to it you could always make like 1.01 or something...I think that was your only mistake

and on a side note Taka or w/e hasn't really accomplished much in these 7 releases...the video out is pretty glitchy...(sad actually):rolleyes:

November 7th, 2007, 08:02
I don't really care what he does anymore (so it'd be good if everyone would quit saying I'm throwing a hissy fit over it.. sorry, that's mostly people in other places). Unfortunately that's partially because I've been working on other things instead of gpSP. I do hope to work on it some more later, although I'm not certain what I'm going to do with it, aside from some fixes and and small optimizations that aren't in it now. I had some big ideas to improve performance but they were quite sketchy and complicated.

I didn't quit, and I especially didn't quit because of Takka (I'd like to put an end to that rumor too), I'm just working on other things right now. However it is true that I'm not really interested in evaluating all of the little features and otherwise arbitrary modifications he has made to gpSP, I've spent several hours doing that in the past (far more time than I would have spent adding the features I actually thought were useful, which is usually only a few of them) and I don't really feel like doing it again. Rather than evaluating his source I'll probably just ask testers to tell me what they think I should add.

It also doesn't really help that everyone is expecting a version "1.0", which signifies a lot and puts a lot of pressure on me to deliver something very polished and "complete."

Whenever I do release another version I'll probably be changing the license. Although I already know this will cause me to lose respect with a few people I'd really prefer to have more control over the development. You'd still be able to get the source (probably), you'd just have to go through me to do so.

just what did he say to you to piss you off man? what kind of "disrespect" did he show you?

November 7th, 2007, 08:05
I personally can't think of much that can be added to gpSP besides Multiplayer, savestate thumbnails, video out, and getting like 2 more games to work. To me this seems unnecessary I personally think .9 should have been 1.0 then no one would be complaining then if you ever got around to it you could always make like 1.01 or something...I think that was your only mistake

and on a side note Taka or w/e hasn't really accomplished much in these 7 releases...the video out is pretty glitchy...(sad actually):rolleyes:

at least he has acomplished "something" at all.

Exophase
November 7th, 2007, 18:57

Multiplayer - Thought about it, did some work for it on PC but it's difficult to want to do it because I don't know if it'll work out well enough (if it'll meet timing demands) and I don't have PCs. And I haven't done a lot of network stuff. Might still tinker with it later.

Savestate thumbnails - They're there. Look at the full savestate menu.

Video out - Buy me a PSP Slim >_<

More games to work - That's doable.. I fixed some things since the last release. Some games still don't work and might never work, but not really ones I care about (Sims 2 Pets for instance)

I really want more speed for some games. I have some optimizations I can do for the CPU and I can rewrite some small parts of the video rendering in ASM for some boost but I don't think this is going to make a big difference. Right now games like FF6 are really killing performance, it has to skip a lot of frames to keep up and I don't feel like releasing a version where the game works but it's in that condition.

I've thought a lot about strategies to split things up between the two CPU cores on PSP but all of them have significant potential obstacles. It might be something that could work well for some games, not as well for others, so maybe could be an option. But it'd be a lot of work to even really get to that point. Probably worth a shot, at least after some analysis of what games are doing.

Exophase
November 7th, 2007, 19:07
just what did he say to you to piss you off man? what kind of "disrespect" did he show you?

I was pretty sure I said I didn't care, not that I was pissed off. If you want to know how he's being disrespectful it's by not talking to me at all, which is something I asked for several times in the readme... not to mention harvesting a bunch of code I put in the GP2X version back into the PSP version.

Comments like this are one of the reasons I don't like working on gpSP. Around here people are release crazy, all they care about is news. They're happy seeing releases where they have no idea what was changed just so they can say that someone is doing something. The changelog could be nothing but removal of features and they'd still praise it.

I've seen on another site a newspost for one of these versions that says it adds "several useful features which can be seen in the changelog"... the guy actually had no idea what was changed either. Here's a tip, when someone makes releases a few days after each other usually not a lot is changed, and I can tell you with certainty that a lot of the things in these changelogs don't actually correspond to anything users would notice (are things like source changes). Other things are just misleading, and actual features are usually completely untested and half implemented.

ab_geee_eee
November 11th, 2007, 09:30
link is not working for me, is it just mine where its not working?

Shadowblind
November 11th, 2007, 19:14
I was pretty sure I said I didn't care, not that I was pissed off. If you want to know how he's being disrespectful it's by not talking to me at all, which is something I asked for several times in the readme... not to mention harvesting a bunch of code I put in the GP2X version back into the PSP version.

Comments like this are one of the reasons I don't like working on gpSP. Around here people are release crazy, all they care about is news. They're happy seeing releases where they have no idea what was changed just so they can say that someone is doing something. The changelog could be nothing but removal of features and they'd still praise it.

I've seen on another site a newspost for one of these versions that says it adds "several useful features which can be seen in the changelog"... the guy actually had no idea what was changed either. Here's a tip, when someone makes releases a few days after each other usually not a lot is changed, and I can tell you with certainty that a lot of the things in these changelogs don't actually correspond to anything users would notice (are things like source changes). Other things are just misleading, and actual features are usually completely untested and half implemented.

Trust me. That guy is just one idiot on the san-andreas lot. Don't let people who are most likely paid by Sony to get you down. Your doing great work, and as far as I'm concerned its good enough as is.

xg917
November 11th, 2007, 19:34

a question that has been bothering me for a while

..why did you leave the psp version out but not the gp2x version?

Sonicboy 101
November 11th, 2007, 19:42

...What?
Why don't YOU code a full-speed GBA emulator.
Oh, what's that? You can't.
You don't know the pressure this guy is at on coding and releasing this emulator. It's people like you who bring the PSP community down.
...argh. I just needed to get that off my chest.