PDA

View Full Version : Hardware in Japan

doublenegative
July 15th, 2005, 10:14
I'll be visiting Akihabara soon. I know it's a long shot but does anyone know of any places worth checking for a Dreamcast BBA/LAN or similar obscure old hardware?

As for new stuff, when will the GameBoy Micro be out in Japan? Same time as the West? Earlier?

ありがとう。

ptr.exe
July 15th, 2005, 13:05
GB Micro will be same time as West most likely.

No idea about where to get a BBA/LAN, i doubt it will be any cheaper than finding one here, they're still rare over there.
You're so lucky, wish i could go to Akihabara, so many cool figures/hardware/software.

CausticSaint
July 17th, 2005, 02:09
BBAs are hard to find here. I've been looking for one for a while and have yet to come across one. Still, it doesn't hurt to look.

Great places to check for used stuff in Akiba are Media Land (on the main drag, right under the train tracks), Sofmap (the big store across the street from the Sofmap Mac Collection and Sofmap 3 on the backside of the block that Club Sega is on) and Super Potato (just down the street, and on the same side, as Sofmap 3).

Happy hunting! :)

CausticSaint
July 18th, 2005, 01:31
(Update to my previous post.)

I was in Akiba again yesterday, and while I couldn't find any BBAs, I did score a couple nice items - Power Stone for $2.50 and Samba de Amigo for $4.50. (I'd bought the maracas previously, only to get home and realize it wasn't the maracas and game - just the maracas. Still, they were a steal. Perfect condition and just under $18.)

I don't know how long you'll have to spend there - and you always stay longer than you plan on - so here's a simple guide for used game shopping. You can hit most of the good stores in a short amount of time, but I suspect you'll be there for a while. Akiba's a huge time-eater.

Here's the guide:

1. Take the JR train (Yamanote, Chuo and Keihin-Tohoku lines all go there) to Akihabara and exit through the "Akihabara Electric Town" exit. After you pass through the ticket gate, turn right and exit the station. Once outside, immediately turn left and head towards the main street. (You'll see Club Sega directly in front of you on the other side of the street.

2. Don't cross yet! Turn left on the main street and walk about half a block to find Media Land. It's on the left side of the street, almost directly under the train tracks. The second floor is where you'll find used games/systems and DC stuff.

3. Once you're done in Media Land, exit the store and cross the main street at the crosswalk just to your right. After crossing, turn right, then make an immediate left. (Club Sega will be on your right as you walk down this street. At the end of the block, take your first right. Look for a yellow awning on your right. That'll be Sofmap 3. New stuff on the first floor, used Sony stuff on 2F, DC, Saturn, GBA, DS, SFC and N64 on 3F. After you're done here, exit the store and turn right.

4. About a block and a half down on the right you'll find Super Potato. Or, you may not. They don't have an actual storefront as they're on the 3rd floor of the building. Keep an eye out for a big yellow sign with a cartoon potato-person on it. Enter the building that sign is on and head up to 3F. This store is awesome. It's almost like a gaming museum. Very small and cramped, but well worth the visit. You may not find what you're looking for here, but you should go anyways. You'll find yourself saying "Dude! I used to have this!" quite a bit. All done? Head back down to the street and turn right.

5. Not a game shop, but worth a quick look is Azo Bit City 4. Head down the street after you exit Super Potato and cross the big street in front of you. (There's a crosswalk to your left once you reach the street.) Just to the left of the crosswalk is ABC 4. This is their "military" store. Tons of airsoft guns. Even if you're not into them, you should take a look. It's a very impressive display. After you've had your fill, leave the store, turn left and head up to the main street. Turn left there and head down to the big Sofmap store.

6. I don't know what number this one is, but it's hard to miss. Pass the Kakuta Sofmap (not the one we're looking for - no games there!) and keep walking until you get to the Sofmap Mac Collection. Just across the street (small street, not the big on to your right) is the shop we're looking for. First floor - new Sony. 2F - used Sony. 3F - Used Sega and Nintendo. This shop may take you a while to get through, so take your time. Once you're done, exit the shop, go to the main street an turn left.

7. The last shop we're going to hit is Trader. Smallish place, just up the street on the left-hand side. It's pretty crowded, but everything's on the first floor. (Unless you want hentai games, then you'll have to go up to 2F.) Not the biggest selection, but nice finds can be had sometimes.

8. If you're all burned out by this point (and you may well be), just turn right after you leave Trader and head back to the station. It'll be on the opposite side of the main street a few blocks down. You can't miss it, since the tracks for the Chuo line cross over the street and go right into the station. (Where else are they gonna go? ^.^)

9. If you're not burned out yet, take some time and explore. You'll have barely scratched the surface of what Akiba has to offer. If you're after Manga, check out Comic Toranoana (http://www.toranoana.co.jp/), on the other side of the street. (Look for a big orange sign with a cartoon cat on it.) More manga than you've probably ever seen in your life. Just beware of the stuff on B1 level. You have to be 18 to go down there for a reason.

10. Have fun!

ptr.exe
July 18th, 2005, 14:07
Can't wait to go to Japan, to get so much cool/pointless gaming collectables. Plus a few hard-to-find-over-here bits of hardware.

doublenegative
July 18th, 2005, 16:24
CausticSaint, I owe you one. It would have taken me weeks to get all that info together. すごい。

Of course, I'll report back here if I do manage to find anything cool, but it's sounds like you've got all the bases covered.