PDA

View Full Version : Portable Game & Media Player - Another Homebrew Contender ?

wraggster
November 5th, 2007, 22:57
http://www.superufo.com/item_photo/item/DE-0139-L.jpg

We here at DCEmu try to inform you on what may or may not be the latest consoles/gadgets that will be home to a new homebrew community. Recently we have written about the JXD301 (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77632), Apple iPhone/iTouch (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73498) and the as yet unamed Console from the GBAx Camp (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73611).

Well down to buisness, the Portable Game & Media Player from SuccessHK (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/Digital_Electronics_Portable_Game___Media_Player.h tml?aff_id=24) has been out a few months now but at a price of $109 and boasting NES, SNES & MD/SMC Emulation it sure is very interesting

Heres the ful spec/info:

Portable Game & Media Player integrates such functions as watching Movie, enjoying Music, Playing GAMES , Reading novels, sound Recording, browsing Pictures and Take pictures. Feature : Game Player : Game Emulator support NES, SNES & MD/SMC ( Sega 16bit ), You can run thousands of game which you can download from Internet Movie Player : Support AVI of MPEG-4 format ( DIVX 3.11/4.X/5.X and XVID codec : Sizes : 320*240 @ 30 fps ) Music Player : Support MP3, WMA, FLAC , with Equlizer Camera : Digital Camera Function with 1300K pixel Video Recorder : Record in 320*240 MPEG4 Voice Recorder : Voice Recorde in MP3 format in 128,192 and 256KPS E-Book Reader : Support E-Book in TXT format Picture Viewer : Support JPG, GIF , BMP format Build-in 1G memory, Support Max. 4G external SD card. Build-in Litum Rechargable battery wth 12000mah , Continue Video play for 6 hrs, or Music play for 20 hrs. With Auto Shut down, Firmware upgradable, 3.6" screen size ( 960*240) TFT , Theme Select, Multi Language support ( English, French, Chinese, Italian, Portuguese ) , Wallpaper changable ,

Can this be opened up to homebrew ?, has anyone already done it ? all questions we would like to know the answer of.

Do the consoles above interest you or are you sticking with your PSP/DS/GP2X for your handheld thrills ?

Portable Game & Media Player (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/Digital_Electronics_Portable_Game___Media_Player.h tml?aff_id=24)

JKKDARK
November 6th, 2007, 00:21
It looks awesome and I like to see all these new handhelds appearing. But sadly I don't think I will buy more handhelds at the moment, the PSP and my new Nokia N73 are enough.

osgeld
November 6th, 2007, 00:53
looks just like the first time we saw it last month

still missing a button so snes and 6 button genesis games are screwed

still too much $ for some screwball media player, aside from the games you can get devices that does everything else for 50 bucks

argor
November 6th, 2007, 01:06
i am sticking with my gp2x and wating for the new console
i cant wait to see the the final design it will be revealed this month:cool:

sukhi-2006
November 6th, 2007, 03:29
I hate portable systems with same features psp and this are identical when it comes to features i hate these kind of consoles nothing new at all, gp2x-f200 has touch screen which is ok and ds lite with microphone,dual screen,touch screen one best systems ever, if anything like ds lite comes out in the near future i would buy it.

hazeythelazy
November 6th, 2007, 14:28
WoW this thing AND the GP2X are all GARGAGE... If you are going to make a homebrew device, WHY can't the PLAY "Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar, and of course N64." We need devices that are designed for those "Hard To Emulate" Systems!
+What next gen handheld console can't you play movies on, My DS even plays movies!

argor
November 6th, 2007, 16:02
WoW this thing AND the GP2X are all GARGAGE... If you are going to make a homebrew device, WHY can't the PLAyAtari Jaguar, !
gp2x Atari Jaguar Emulator T2k is the best Atari Jaguar
Emulator on any handheld
and her is youtube video for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YYnPTlHRNE:cool:

Exophase
November 6th, 2007, 17:51
These copycat PMPs with tacked on emulation have been flooding China for a long time now. It's just that they're now becoming available outside China too.

Some of them seem to come closer to real gaming controls than others but I haven't seen any that don't look like they have some serious flaws. Look at this thing, it has three vertically oriented buttons, how is that not supposed to be terrible for any platform that regularly uses more than one action button? Can you even imagine playing a simple game of Super Mario Bros on it? Because if you can't play SMB comfortably on a handheld then it has failed miserably as a gaming device.

Also not impressed by the stolen emulators, especially when they port ones that end up not working well at all.

hazeythelazy; You can forget about that happening, because even if the devices are powerful enough doing the emulator takes too much work and talent for these cheap manufacturers. Unlike NES, SNES, Genesis, GBC, etc you can't do a quick port of something and expect it to actually play at a decent speed (that doesn't stop them from porting VBA though >_<)

rikseaside
November 6th, 2007, 21:35
Well down to buisness, the Portable Game & Media Player from SuccessHK (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/Digital_Electronics_Portable_Game___Media_Player.h tml?aff_id=24) has been out a few months now but at a price of $109 and boasting NES, SNES & MD/SMC Emulation it sure is very interesting

Does the world really need yet another multi-function device with slightly disappointing specs?
Well at least it has a catchy name :)

Veskgar
November 7th, 2007, 00:09
These devices are all a waste of money and time. They all seem to have that ridiculous D-Pad style and like others have pointed out, how in hell is homebrew & emulation supposed to be enjoyable with that button layout? WTF?

The PSP is still superior when it comes to portable multimedia devices IMHO. I mean what else can play PS1 and N64 so well?

Eyedunno
November 7th, 2007, 15:17
Eventually, one of these companies is gonna learn from all of this horrific design though.

Vega
November 7th, 2007, 23:49
I hate portable systems with same features psp and this are identical when it comes to features i hate these kind of consoles nothing new at all, gp2x-f200 has touch screen which is ok and ds lite with microphone,dual screen,touch screen one best systems ever, if anything like ds lite comes out in the near future i would buy it.

:confused:
Use of proper grammar and full stops could help alot here.

You say you 'hate portable systems with same features as the psp'. Your PSP is not intended to run emulators. This is. The makers of this handheld are capitalising and cashing in on a (sucessful) market which is already available (for non-profit) to the PSP Underground... or the 'psp scene'.
But people bashing these new handhelds is both repetitive and boring. I congratulate any makers of these new handhelds and hope they do well.
People saying "my PSP is better" should actually get their hands on one of these new handhelds and actually play the things before assuming your PSP.... with its crap d-pad and all... is better.

Eyedunno
November 8th, 2007, 14:59
:confused:
Use of proper grammar and full stops could help alot here.
Alot? I think you mean "a lot."

You say you 'hate portable systems with same features as the psp'. Your PSP is not intended to run emulators. This is. The makers of this handheld are capitalising and cashing in on a (sucessful) market which is already available (for non-profit) to the PSP Underground... or the 'psp scene'.
And yet the PSP (and usually even the DS, for that matter) offers better emulation than the GP2X, a device "intended to run emulators." Go figure. I hate Sony as much as (or actually probably more than) the next guy, but I can still admit that the PSP is a fine system for emulation.

But people bashing these new handhelds is both repetitive and boring. I congratulate any makers of these new handhelds and hope they do well.
People saying "my PSP is better" should actually get their hands on one of these new handhelds and actually play the things before assuming your PSP.... with its crap d-pad and all... is better.
Control is one of the most important things for a handheld system. Even if you can emulate all the classic systems 100% flawlessly, as long as the control layout isn't good, you have nothing. I'm with you in principle, and I think it's high time we got a quality portable designed with homebrew/emulation in mind. Unfortunately, this isn't it yet, and buying one of these is encouraging mediocrity. I'm optimistic that somebody WILL eventually come out with a great homebrew-oriented portable, but that's all the more reason for me not to be too excited about things like this and the redesigned GP2X.

JKKDARK
November 8th, 2007, 15:35
And yet the PSP (and usually even the DS, for that matter) offers better emulation than the GP2X, a device "intended to run emulators." Go figure. I hate Sony as much as (or actually probably more than) the next guy, but I can still admit that the PSP is a fine system for emulation.
Really? DS and PSP have PlayStation and Sega CD homebrew emulators? :rolleyes:

Exophase
November 8th, 2007, 16:21
Really? DS and PSP have PlayStation and Sega CD homebrew emulators? :rolleyes:

PSP has a PS1 emulator, and it works a lot better than psx4gp2x..

No, it's not a "homebrew emulator", but that doesn't make it useless. If anything its presence has scared off other people from working on PS1 emulators for PSP...

No, these devices are portable media players with stolen emulators tacked on, and maybe a weak attempt to give it gaming controls. You should see some of the other PMPs with emulators on them - they don't have gaming controls at all but that doesn't stop them from shoving them on in an attempt to get more sales. PSP has an obvious edge over most of these devices because it was actually designed for playing games.

Congratulate for what? Bringing yet another copycat PMP to the market with serious design issues?

Maybe everyone else should stop assuming that PSP's d-pad is so much worse than everything else (especially the Slim's). All you have to do is LOOK at this d-pad to see that it's terrible. For most of them I doubt they're even connected underneath, they're probably just separate buttons.

sukhi-2006
November 8th, 2007, 19:16
I did not say that i like psp i don't like them at all in my opnion psp doesn't have many good games.
Why is it every console is releasing is without touch screen the touch screen makes navigating through screens quickly it's one of the best idea in a console, Nintendo has done good job putting this feature in there handheld, Now we have portable system at least they could of put touch screen feature which is very lame and no dual screen that's even bad the only emulator this missing is Nintendo ds which will never appear on it.
It would of happened if it had 2 screens but no it's like the other consoles this console sucks big time i'll give it miss same goes to psp and gp2x well gp2x-f200 is ok atleast it has touch screen if not dual screen.

JKKDARK
November 8th, 2007, 22:33
PSP has a PS1 emulator, and it works a lot better than psx4gp2x..

No, it's not a "homebrew emulator", but that doesn't make it useless. If anything its presence has scared off other people from working on PS1 emulators for PSP...

But we are talking about the homebrew, obviously a PSX emulator made by Sony will be better than any homebrew emulator.
By your logic, Sonic and Mario games scared off people from working on 2D/3D homebrew platform/adventure games.

Exophase
November 9th, 2007, 01:53
But we are talking about the homebrew, obviously a PSX emulator made by Sony will be better than any homebrew emulator.

Says you. Although commercial entities have made some great emulators the best emulators in the world have been done by enthusiasts. A homebrew author could do as good an emulator as Sony, there just weren't any who were trying that hard.

Virtually all of the information Sony has about PS1 is accessible to homebrew devs in one form or another. Most of the important information about PSP is as well. Contrary to popular belief homebrew devs can be just as talented as commercial devs. I'd go so far as to say that a lot of people programming for a living don't even have the same drive and qualifications as people who do it as a hobby.

By your logic, Sonic and Mario games scared off people from working on 2D/3D homebrew platform/adventure games.

That's a terrible analogy. Sidescrollers have a lot of individuality and offer a lot of variety. There's plenty of room out there for lots of them (and there have been hundreds, if not thousands made). Emulators are a totally different story. If one comes out that's substantially better than what you have it'll feel pointless to try to compete with it. One good emulator for a given platform is all you'll ever need.

Besides that, it's not a logical deduction I've made, it's a fact. I know two people who quit their PS1 emulators because of Sony. And other people have quit emulators because of competition as well.

JKKDARK
November 9th, 2007, 02:15
Sorry I don't believe anyone will make a PSX emulator exactly or better than Sony.
At the moment, PSP hasn't homebrew Sega CD and PlayStation emulators like the GP2X.

sukhi-2006
November 18th, 2007, 23:36
it looks like there are sony fan boys on this forum which is lame.
The ps1 doesn't have any interesting games at all it sucks big timer i would never want to see an emulator on psx, the ds games are far better than psx for one thing they are revolutionary and fuin to play, psx was only good when it was popular but now it seems out of date and very boring not only that the mega cd is another junk which isn't good as genesis.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles on genesis is far better than sonic cd on mega cd.

Johnny_Mcbride
November 19th, 2007, 18:15
At the moment, PSP hasn't homebrew Sega CD emulators like the GP2X.

It does now :D

JKKDARK
November 19th, 2007, 23:09
It does now :D

As i said before, these homebrew emulators are not better than the ones available on the GP2X.