PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft hopes for longer Xbox 360 shelf life

Shrygue
November 7th, 2007, 19:03
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30358)

Microsoft has said that it hopes the shelf life for its Xbox 360 will be longer than five years – the lifespan traditionally associated with a home console.

The console manufacturer dropped support for the original Xbox once it had released its successor in late 2005 – only four years after the launch of the original machine.

Speaking at a BMO Capital Markets conference, Mindy Mount pointed to the success of Sony's PlayStation 2, a machine entering its eighth year on the market.

"Look at the PS2; they've gone long-time and seem to have pretty good legs on what they are doing," said the chief financial officer.

"It we were able to do that, as a CFO I think that's great, because every year you draw it out you increase profitability," reports Reuters.

JKKDARK
November 7th, 2007, 22:44
It should be alive even if Microsoft launch a new console. I don't like to see how the Xbox ended.

Elven6
November 8th, 2007, 00:52
The original xbox ended because of a dispute with Nvidia, but many people still say it was them being greedy. I would post the link, but this was making headlines back when the 360 had lauched, so its going to be pretty hard to find.

Shadowblind
November 8th, 2007, 01:04
Nvidia has nothing to say. When they make a graphics card where you DONT have to download an update for every game you buy only to have it end up not working anyway, I'll start to give a rat's *** about they're opinion.