PDA

View Full Version : Fils-Aime: MS and Sony 'trapped in a box'

Shrygue
November 7th, 2007, 19:18
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175188)

Reggie Fils-Aime reckons Nintendo's rivals have trapped themselves in a box in this current console generation cycle due to their decision to invest heavily in cutting-edge technology.

Microsoft and Sony have "gone down the path with building expensive machines that they lose money on. They've gone down the path with games that are hard to develop," the Nintendo of America boss said when comparing the approach Nintendo has taken to its competitors.

Reported on CNN, he described the challenge that Sony and Microsoft face in this console cycle as "significant".

"They've put themselves in a box. I don't know how they're going to get out of it", he added.

Trekster
November 7th, 2007, 19:55
I have taken this year to decide what system to get, I was initally impressed by the Wii if only for its nifty controller. As the year has gone by and I have had more time to compare the games that are being released, specifically games that demand next gen graphics and this is where the innovation of the Wii controller wears a bit thin and you start to seethe graphical superiority of the 360 and the Ps3 over the Wii, and the difference is night and day. I think developers are really learning how to take advantage of the hardware especially in the Xbox360 department. As far as them "being in a box" I am guess I am climbing in the box with them as I am going to purchase a 360 for christmas. I prefer raw gaming power over a controller that is good for some games, but for the majority of games I think the 360 and PS3 gamepads work just as good if not better and the games look truly next gen compared to the underpowered Wii

RicardoG
November 7th, 2007, 22:09
"They've put themselves in a box. I don't know how they're going to get out of it"

STUPID COMMENT!!!

Well the PS2 when got out had a price tag like 450€ and it sold out and you know what Mr.Reggie Fils-Aime it still sells and there are more owners of PS2 than Wii owners of that I'm sure!

Airdevil
November 7th, 2007, 22:18
Well what i find with the wii, the controller is only really suitable for a small handful of games. Even then after a month or 2 the controller looses its "appeal".

The 360 does have a nice gaming environment, nice controller, and good online. However, its only decent games are pretty much all FPS games, which i dont particulary like.

The PS3 is basically both consoles put together (pretty much), it has large processing power, and the six axis control system in the controller. However, it is let down by its lack of decent games (however in the time span its been out, 360 was in exactly the same position), but this will change soon when the likes of assassins creed, devil may cry 4, metal gear solid 4 and final fantasy come out for the system. This is the reason why i will be getting the PS3, it may be a let down at the moment, but i believe the curve of greatness for this console will increase in a yr or 2, making it on par/better then the 360.

PSP-1412
November 7th, 2007, 22:29
what a bunch of next gen haters the 360 have alot of games and the online is better than the wii and ps3.....well dnt kno about the ps3 but its better than the wii i dot kno anyone yet who have or talked about the wii if it didnt have dragonball z on it i wouldnt even look at one btw the 360 really needs a dragonball game

ICE
November 7th, 2007, 23:01
"They've put themselves in a box. I don't know how they're going to get out of it"

STUPID COMMENT!!!

Well the PS2 when got out had a price tag like 450€ and it sold out and you know what Mr.Reggie Fils-Aime it still sells and there are more owners of PS2 than Wii owners of that I'm sure!

you do realize the ps2 has been out for years longer than Wii right?

SSaxdude
November 7th, 2007, 23:14
I was pretty disappointed by the Wii. I thought it was going to be a completely new and fun experience. I didn't even play it once over the summer, so I sold it. I know people say how good "Brawl" is going to be, but I was never a big fan of Super Smash Bros. or Melee. The only game I will miss will be Super Mario Galaxy, but I can sill play the original 2D Mario games so I'm happy. I've been having a lot of fun playing Bioshock, Halo 3, and Guitar Hero II and III on my Xbox 360, plus I've been playing Counter Strike on my computer once a while. Hell, the PS3 is looking better than it was a year ago, even though I still think it won't beat the 360 or Wii.

RicardoG
November 8th, 2007, 02:18
you do realize the ps2 has been out for years longer than Wii right?

Right, so to me if you own a Wii you own a PS2 with a new controller and nothing more than that, besides like a previous user said after some time the controller just seems to lose interest.
Nintendo made a controller not a console.

ICE
November 8th, 2007, 02:53
This has been all ive had to say lately because its the only thing ive found that doesnt get insane cussing yelling reactions.

Like it or love it just sit back and watch what the Wii does. JUST WATCH.

Shadowblind
November 8th, 2007, 03:15
Lemme tell you a quick story.

I bought a 360 when it first came out. (It did die, but after leaving it on 20 minutes with the red lights it came back to life. Dont ask how, but I was just happy as heck :D ) I have hardly spent a day not on my 360. I was super pumped for the Wii, thinking "This thing is gonna be amazing, how could I ever get tired of it?" Well, after 3 days, I answered my own question.

No.
Good.
Games.

Seems to affect both the PS3 and Wii. But the Wii, despite great controls, is indeed last generation in everything else. This doesn't stop it from being fun, but when it comes to features, it holds nothing. Back to my 360. Haven't touched the Wii in months now, when earlier today I was playing Bioshock. Savvy?

Stick that in a box.

ICE
November 8th, 2007, 03:23
you dont seem to get how the industry works. the gamecube/ninty had NO third party support at all. the wii therefore wont either for a while see? people wont just jump over immediately. the thing is the console is stomping everything else and therefor, like in any business, everyone now wants to be where the money is.

its only been a year people. it prolly took half that for people to realize wii is where the money is and we all know how long it takes to make a game right? a console is only as good as its games guys and since those games got a really late start due to people not seeing the wii coming... well you should see my obvious point by now eh?

JUST WATCH AND SEE.

sukhi-2006
November 8th, 2007, 18:30
The ps3 are pointless console to own its only for people who like remakes not originality the 360 is good for playing pc ports how boring is that and finally wii which is the most amazing console ever the games itself are very original the games play really amazing its like you are in the game we do not need control pads to play games anymore every console had a control pad so what make makes the ps3 and 360 any different , if you look at this way sony and microsoft console don't supply originality when it comes to console features the wii is one of the best console with it unique gameplay elements, most people are forgetting one thing no one can make better games than Nintendo.
The machine is only succesful when it sells well, the wii is selling real well this will easily become the n0.1 console for 2007 let sony and microsoft talk about the graphics the graphics won't sell the machine it has to the quality gaming this is the real thing that sony and microsoft consoles are lacking let the wii become the best console of the year 2007 long live Nintendo.

robman84
November 9th, 2007, 19:09
I still think there will ultimately be a problem for Nintendo with the changing demographic of its user base. My prediction is most people will/do buy the Wii and get a few pack-in games, then never buy another game again. I do not think the Wii will "convert" non-gamers into die-hard gaming fans eager to shell out every month for the next killer title. I think they will be people who quickly get bored of "this gaming lark" and go back to what they did before. Reminds me a bit of the Atari VCS/2600 - how many people remember seeing countless of them covered in dust under friends' TVs because they had just got bored of it, after buying it because it was something new.

I just hope for Ninty's sake there are enough Wii owners who already were gamers who buy games regularly.

The DS, however, is such a tactile, pick-up-and-play device that fits into a pocket, that I think it truly will have a long shelf life.

Amazingly, for the first time in 15 years of knowing her, my wife has actually asked me to buy her a game for Xmas (one of the brain training ones for the DS). Now THAT is something bordering on the miraculous!

EDIT: Reggie's comments make him sound ridiculous.