PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray Profile 1.1 makes existing players obsolete?

wraggster
November 7th, 2007, 19:49
October 31, 2007 was the official end of the "grace period" for Blu-ray manufacturers, after which all players released must comply with the latest standard--Blu-ray Profile 1.1 (also known as Final Standard Profile and BD-Video Profile 1.1). Of course, that doesn't mean Profile 1.0 Blu-ray players still can't be sold, and if you walk into your local electronics store over the next few months, you're likely to see both Profile 1.0 and Profile 1.1 Blu-ray players on the shelf. So what's the big difference between Profile 1.0 and Profile 1.1?

Profile 1.0 vs. 1.1
There are several different hardware requirements, but it basically boils down to picture-in-picture functionality. All Blu-ray players up until this point have been Profile 1.0 and have lacked the secondary video and audio decoders necessary to play a smaller video in the corner while also playing the main high-def movie in the background. With the notable exception of the PlayStation 3, Profile 1.0 players cannot be upgraded via firmware to become Profile 1.1 players.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/others/0,39037627,62034159,00.htm

Accordion
November 7th, 2007, 20:19
why would anyone want picture in picture anyway?

Elven6
November 8th, 2007, 00:50
HAHAHA I KNEW IT! I was telling EVERYONE WHO BOUGHT A BLU RAY PLAYER TO NOT, because they would end up BUYING A NEW ONE EVERY 6 MONTHS! Well what ever, Im happy with my HD DVD player, and what will soon be, the 51GB disc, that will still work on my old player!

Tree
November 8th, 2007, 15:43
HAHAHA I KNEW IT! I was telling EVERYONE WHO BOUGHT A BLU RAY PLAYER TO NOT, because they would end up BUYING A NEW ONE EVERY 6 MONTHS! Well what ever, Im happy with my HD DVD player, and what will soon be, the 51GB disc, that will still work on my old player!

Yeah maybe but at least the PS3 will not have to be renewed, and this means blu-rays will b better qulity than HD DVD so i dont know what your lauthing about haha

Elven6
November 8th, 2007, 22:23
Yeah maybe but at least the PS3 will not have to be renewed, and this means blu-rays will b better qulity than HD DVD so i dont know what your lauthing about haha

I don't know why your laughing either, heres a example, the 3rd layer of HD DVD will be compatible with all CURRENT players, meaning, unlike Blu ray, us HD DVD owners will NOT need to upgrade. HD DVD was built to please man, I don't know why people don't realize that. Also, HD DVD has had these features since the start, so you obiously no nothing of HD DVD.