PDA

View Full Version : Extra 32 MBytes Now Accessible ?

wraggster
November 8th, 2007, 18:27
SamuraiX (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8935) posted this over at ps2dev:

Moonlight has incorporated the addition 32 MBytes to Malloc() when using his SDK for M33-3 (Looking at sample memory test).

This is great news, meaning if you include the SDK with your current project you will now have direct malloc access to the additional memory.

I can't wait to incorporate support for additional memory on my project (OpenBOR) now!

Thank You Moonlight!!!

Does this mean that all emulators can use the extra memory, lets hope so :)

sappo
November 8th, 2007, 19:28
A lot of emulators just don't need more RAM, they need more MHz.

DarthPaul
November 8th, 2007, 19:54
Yeah this is mentioned in the 3.71 M33-3 changelog.

CaptainMorgan4
November 8th, 2007, 20:12
Wonder if this will help StrmnNrmn, I know he explained memory wouldn't really help from the Slim's point of view. But with this more memory on the PSP1000 might somehow help, I think I'm just wishing though because I doubt this will help him but I can dream.

SamuraiX
November 8th, 2007, 20:17
DarthPaul,

Yes it was....

Thats why i looked at the sample to see how additional 32 MBytes would be available this time around.

Previously, the additional 32 MBytes were available in user mode but it was only accessible through the use of specific memory addressing and filling the data with memset().

90% (Being probably very generous here with my statistic) of all applications use malloc (C Language) for reserving memory for their application, so the use of specific addressing would not be as easily used for most programmers without writing some type of memory management system.

However, Since Moonlight has gone the extra mile for supporting malloc() I wanted to say.... Thank You

Since now its no more than including his libraries and setting a FLAG to enable the extra memory space on the slim versus having to write a PSP specific memory management system.

This works out great for me as my project has remained compatible across 7 different platforms with only minor changes to the IO interfaces.

acn010
November 8th, 2007, 20:22
more memory, more space. simple

Airdevil
November 8th, 2007, 21:01
i hope this does not cause devs to leave the old psp for development of homebrew.

I do not want to get a slim, mainly because there is no real point. Its just been shaved a little and added a tv out port. Well done.... but i dont really want to see my psp screen on a tv when its supposed to be portable and the little size change is so pointless its untrue.

SamuraiX
November 8th, 2007, 22:18
I can only speak for myself, but I have reached a point in my application where optimized memory handling is done. I can't squeeze anymore optimizations in the application and modders of OpenBOR are continuously pushing the limits of the engine as far as memory and cpu is concerned.

Now while for the PSP slim or phat we do have enough processing power it always comes down to the how much ram a console has.

Personally, I love the phat and would never think of purchasing another unit, but i love OpenBOR/Beats of Rage and the Engine is tweaked to the max in the memory department and there are mods coming down the pipe that are groundbreaking in this genre, which I really want to play on the go.

Lastly, It will be greatly help me having two PSP(s) in order to implement wifi multiplayer onto the Engine.

Mr Corky
November 8th, 2007, 22:58
i hope this does not cause devs to leave the old psp for development of homebrew.

I do not want to get a slim, mainly because there is no real point.

Me too, I think the slim is useless, if it had a T.V tuner then I'd by it!

darkness angel 777
November 8th, 2007, 23:12
I may be able to use this...

urherenow
November 8th, 2007, 23:28
CaptainMorgan4: What? This IS for the slim. the PSP-1000s don't have extra memory.

Mr Corky : again... WHAT? The slim DOES have a tuner, and the tuner does not work on a psp-100x. The problem here is that they made it is a 1seg tuner (not regular broadcast) so you'll have to move to Japan if you want to use it :/

Mr Corky
November 9th, 2007, 00:16
Mr Corky : again... WHAT? The slim DOES have a tuner, and the tuner does not work on a psp-100x. The problem here is that they made it is a 1seg tuner (not regular broadcast) so you'll have to move to Japan if you want to use it :/

Maybe some hardware mods can fix this to get some Aussie channels. If it can be done I'm defently buying one. OMG! Portable T.V!

And don't knock me 'cause the like the simple things in life, like portable T.V! :thumbup:

Veskgar
November 9th, 2007, 03:59
If you are a die-hard PSP user like myself and use it for everything, the Slim & Lite is the better choice. Better D-Pad and LCD screen are 2 very notable enhancements.

How many consoles and handhelds can we list that have had "Slim & Lite" hardware revisions during the course of their life-span? Its very common and I don't think it is useless. Sales show that its what people want.

jedikevin20
November 9th, 2007, 07:49
I personally don't think the slim is that great. We are messing with small changes unlike other slim remakes of things like ps2 and ds which was a omg change in size. My roommate has a slim and I have a phat and the size is not the big picture like those other systems. Whats good is the ability to hook up to tv and that 32 mb is a ok addon. Slim, to me, just has been a major letdown. Rumors on TV tuner were great till we found out its for japan lol. Battery life rumors were smashed. So now we looking at a nice system thats basically the same size with as someone said above, "D pad and lcd" being the hottest interest to get people into getting the system. I just hope this 32mb does not split the community. It def has the potential to but luckly all homebrew programmers are being very conservative on this w00t. I would hate to see slim and phat versions of same hombrew games. That just leads to problems in my opinion. All that to say slim is nice but not worth me buying a whole new new psp just for those small changes. Prob be good for those just getting into the psp community but even then we have a multitude of cheaper "phat" versions still widely available. Anyone remember when the ds lite came out. Omg, like bam, the original ds's seemed to disappear.

Mr Corky
November 9th, 2007, 08:56
Still not gonna buy a slim untill Aussie T.V gets in!

Pimp13
November 9th, 2007, 14:33
So then your never going to get one, simple. I would keep the phat psp because theres 1.50 KERNEL homebrew and because you wont get as much problems as you do with the slim. I also heard that there are permanent unrecoverable bricks after installing custom firmware on the PSP Slim. Its just not worth the money and the risk. But thats just my opinion.