PDA

View Full Version : The Phliospher's Stone?

sess555
November 12th, 2007, 15:39
Its called the Sorcerer's Stone. What isrong with you people?:confused:

MetaFox
March 8th, 2008, 12:17
I'm reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for the first time right now. I've seen the film Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone more than a few times before, but I felt like delving into the original. I haven't yet finished the book, but I'm enjoying it. It is quite fun to see the differences from the book and the film such as the Dursley's reaction to Harry's arrival as an infant.

But, the people who worked on the film really did do a great job. Reading the book after seeing the film first really feels like experiencing a longer version of the movie. :)

AdamRav
April 6th, 2008, 13:21
LOL

its got diffrent titles in the US and the UK

cal360
April 6th, 2008, 13:44
Actually the real name is the Philospher's stone. J . K Rowling called the original book by the U.K name. When the Philospher's stone was released in the U.S the name was changed to the sorcerers stone as it was believed it would be easier for Americans to associate the word.

The first Harry Potter book was published in the United Kingdom by Bloomsbury in July 1997 and in the United States by Scholastic in September 1998, but not before Rowling had received $105,000 for the American rights – an unprecedented amount for a children's book by a then unknown author.[15] Fearing that American readers would not associate the word "philosopher" with a magical theme (as a Philosopher's Stone is alchemy-related), Scholastic insisted that the book be given the title Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the American market.

jenna010986
May 25th, 2008, 03:57
Actually the real name is the Philospher's stone. J . K Rowling called the original book by the U.K name. When the Philospher's stone was released in the U.S the name was changed to the sorcerers stone as it was believed it would be easier for Americans to associate the word.

Wow. I didn't know that history. All this time I thought the original name was sorcerer's stone. Any way thanks for this info.