PDA

View Full Version : GMDL takes a long time to create map

vblanche
November 12th, 2007, 19:51
Hi,

I'm trying to download a map for europe...but it seems that it's going to take ages...it's normal, or am i dreaming?

thanks

johoo
November 12th, 2007, 22:39
no youre awake :p

i downloaded the map only from the netherlands
and if i'm correct it was about 5.5 milj pics
and took me 3 days
and it ended with a size 3.9 gb

after that i used mib.42's conferter and ended the map at 1.9 gb and that also took me 3 days

but now it's all finished and working well

fischauge
November 12th, 2007, 22:57
You will never get europe down. You will need more than a Terabyte space for the Map ^^. Just download the map for your country.

vblanche
November 13th, 2007, 18:01
so, it's utopic to think that this system can replace a GPS navi system (TomTom or others)?

too bad...

Nieko
November 13th, 2007, 18:10
It _is_ a GPS navigation system :). I've seen a few GPS systems where you can't even see a proper birds' eye view of the entire city, something which MapThis has had since the beginning.

The reason why other GPS systems can store e.g. entire Europe, is because they use vector data instead of images. This may be supported in MapThis soon as well (though do note that vector data isn't available everywhere).

Personally, I prefer MapThis over other GPS systems, because not only are maps free, they're also available for countries outside Europe.

vblanche
November 13th, 2007, 22:00
ok...I'm still trying it...

what about re-calculating directions when you change your route on the way?:p

Nieko
November 14th, 2007, 09:06
As for now MapThis can't calculate any routes, unfortunately... Routes have to be calculated beforehand with GMDL or at a WiFi hotspot with http://getroute.nieko.net/.