PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart's Linux PC more successful than expected

Junixx
November 13th, 2007, 04:44
About a week ago Wal-Mart began selling a $200 Linux machine running on a 1.5 ghz VIA C7 processor and 512 MB of RAM. While the specs are useless for Vista, it works blazingly fast on Ubuntu with the Enlightenment Window Manager. The machine is now officially sold out of their online warehouses (it may still be available in some stores). And the product sales page at wal-mart.com is full of glowing reviews from new and old Linux users alike."

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7754614

Completely sold out... I never even knew about this, any thoughts?

pibs
November 13th, 2007, 06:23
Pretty cool how it has Ubuntu already installed, it is really cheap price for a basic pc.

the_eternal_dark
November 13th, 2007, 06:43
If enlightenment is the desktop environment, I feel kinda sorry for other people. Too buggy for commercial installation.

Junixx
November 13th, 2007, 22:49
I never tried enlightenment... one of these days I will, but it i think most of the reviews say they haven't had a problem

ICE
November 13th, 2007, 22:58
Hmm good to see linux invading the main stream.

the_eternal_dark
November 13th, 2007, 23:16
I guess they did a good job with modifying the E17 code then. I compiled it in Ubutnu. It was definately a great experience, right up until the dependencies broke in an update.

I agree ICE.

BrooksyX
November 13th, 2007, 23:44
I bet a lot of these will probably come back because the average walmart consumer doesn't strike me as a Linux User. People probably assumed that it came with the latest Windows version.

the_eternal_dark
November 14th, 2007, 01:00
I don't know about that brooksyx, it's almost too simple to use it seems, even more so than your typical windows interface. Looks like google can make a decent OS.

Junixx
November 14th, 2007, 03:12
I bet a lot of these will probably come back because the average walmart consumer doesn't strike me as a Linux User. People probably assumed that it came with the latest Windows version.

Then theres the people who don't even know they're using windows :rofl:

kcajblue
November 14th, 2007, 03:42
i dont see how people can miss the whole boot up screen with the big letters WINDOWS. lol

the_eternal_dark
November 16th, 2007, 02:38
Or the terrible 4 colored Windows logo and the 5-10 minute start time and the Microsoft Windows updates that seem to take years to "update".