PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS and WPA encryption

wiggy fuzz
November 15th, 2007, 10:21
does anybody know whether nintendo have released a fix or update or anything that enables the ds to be used with a WPA encrypted wifi network?

it's been almost 4 years since the thing was released and i haven't heard anything of the sort

or are there any homebrew hacks that allow this?

thanks in advance

ps: i already have the usb wifi connector but the thing is so damn unreliable what with it's constant disconnectings and the fact it only works with my computer on and the heat it generates...

Tikker
November 16th, 2007, 01:19
no, the ds cannot handle WPA, and likely never will without a boost to processing power

iain7
January 6th, 2008, 19:51
actually it can. there is a guy who used to work on wpa for wii and nds, but nintendo attacked him, now he only does the wii (if he does it at all) and has removed the files. the process involves flashing your ds with the program, not TOO sure on the details. i beleive some are still torrenting it but it may be hard to get hold of.
if i get hold of it (and if i remember xD) i will try and post some sort of guide.

DanTheManMS
January 6th, 2008, 22:59
That was confirmed to be a fake. It was just empty data with a .nds header attached to the front. If you actually flashed it to your DS firmware, your DS would be bricked.

sn00ze
February 6th, 2008, 09:30
no WPA.
that sux

helf me....

Kazayami
February 17th, 2008, 23:29
as DanTheMan says, the firmware was fake. WPA is not supported on the DS. If you wanted extra security, you could always use IP filtering though.

Dragonic
February 18th, 2008, 13:17
I don't like that the DS can't handle WPA. Why?? I want to know why! Can't Nintendo make it possible to connect to a network with WPA encryption? We've a network that's WPA encrypted and I can't connect to it because the DS can't handle the encryption. That's what I think is bad with the DS...

DanTheManMS
February 19th, 2008, 04:25
Probably the power WPA requires. They probably didn't want to shorten the battery life more than necessary, and Wifi already sucks up a large amount as it is.

Dragonic
February 19th, 2008, 11:32
Ok. I didn't know that WPA requires much power. Well, if they make a new DS, then I hope they make it possible to connect to a network that uses WPA encryption. Or maybe if they could make a battery that was 10 times more powerful then the original battery and then, in some kind of way, flash the DS so it can handle WPA! :D

RaiDesu
February 21st, 2008, 00:30
No updates, no software... Nothing. It's an issue with the hardware itself. If someone could figure a way to hardmod the WiFi Adapter, we'd have a chance. But that would probably mean losing NiFi (Connect to other DS, Download-Play..etc)

OneQuarterLife
March 11th, 2008, 03:00
No updates, no software... Nothing. It's an issue with the hardware itself. If someone could figure a way to hardmod the WiFi Adapter, we'd have a chance. But that would probably mean losing NiFi (Connect to other DS, Download-Play..etc)

I wonder if we could just do it ghetto style and make a slot-2 based accessory.

Only homebrew would be able to utilize it, but it's a start.

Dragonic
March 11th, 2008, 15:05
Yes, but who should make that accessory? And then they should have to make all the homebrew games/programs use that and not the built-in one. Maybe you could make one yourself if someone could make a tutorial... Well, I think the idea is good but someone have to make it :\.