PDA

View Full Version : Massive Rumour - Sega CD Emulator Coming to PSP - First Screenshot

wraggster
November 15th, 2007, 23:38
The release of the Sega Saturn emulator for the PSP (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/yabause-for-psp-released-sega-saturn-emulator-for-psp-79352.html) yesterday brought a lot of discussion as to whether Saturn emulation was possible at a decent speed etc.

But on the 6th page of the discussion about the emulator (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79352), Notaz the coder behind the port of Picodrive the Megadrive and Sega CD emulator for the GP2X replied to a post by dgbbad :

Originally Posted by dgbbad
hearin some people talk about a sega cd emulator being possible makes me excited. i never would have thought about it before someone brought it up...but my favorite game ever was on sega cd (lunar). yea, i know saturn is out of the question...but if someone was to make a sega cd emulator....i would forsake all others before them.

Notaz (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79352&page=6) then posted this

Oh really? :)

and this screenshot:

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/test10.jpg

Im sure you are as excited as me about this development and especially as Sega CD Emulation is playable on the GP2X (http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/picodrive2x-v1-32-genesis-and-mega-cd-emulator-for-gp2x--58779.html)

Thanks to Notaz for posting here at DCEmu and as soon as i hear anymore ill be posting more news :)

DIGG THIS EXCELLENT NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sega_CD_Emulator_Coming_to_PSP)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sega_CD_Emulator_Coming_to_PSP

yoshinatsu
November 15th, 2007, 23:49
AAAAAAAAAAAhahahhahahaha!!!
I said that yesterday, remember Exophase??
XD XD XD
But I suppose a Sega CD emulator is rather possible, isn't it?
It's not like Saturn anyway.

Chackan
November 16th, 2007, 00:05
:O First the Saturn and now the Sega CD?

Hope they both come at full speed someday :D

devdj
November 16th, 2007, 00:21
well here are some of the main facts of the sega cd

The main CPU is a 12.5-MHz 16-bit Motorola 68000 processor. The Mega Drive/Genesis has the same processor, but at a lower clock rate of 7.67 MHz (NTSC) / 7.61 MHz (PAL).

* Graphics Processor: Custom ASIC
* Number of simultaneous colors on screen: 64 out of 512
* Display resolution: 320 x 224 pixels and 256 x 224
* Advanced compression scheme
* Software-based upgrade
* Scaling and rotation effects

* Main RAM: 6 Mbit
* PCM samples: 512 Kbit
* CD-ROM data cache: 128 Kbit
* 64 Kbit Internal Backup RAM

and don't forget that the sega cd is from the 16-bit era

the_eternal_dark
November 16th, 2007, 00:24
Chackan, don't count on the Saturn being playable on the PSP, ever.

Now SegaCD, thats probable.

fucht017
November 16th, 2007, 00:35
Kojima's wonderfull "Snacher" goes portable...GREAT news...Hope you guys can bring us another memorable era in gaming.(I know it wasn't the greatest system in the world...But still had some fun games)....Fashback,Out of this world,..Night trap..remember that one...:thumbup:

DimensionT
November 16th, 2007, 00:49
Sweet! I'm down for playing some Vay on my PSP!

JKKDARK
November 16th, 2007, 01:37
Very interesting. I hope it's not fake

DarthPaul
November 16th, 2007, 01:38
Yaaay??

More emulators are always cool, but I'm not so excited because I really don't know of any good game for this Sega consoles. I never owned any of them..

Exophase
November 16th, 2007, 01:50
Sega CD has always been a given. If GP2X can do it obviously so can PSP since PSP is more powerful, although it might take a more serious CPU core in ASM than what's in the current Genesis emulators for PSP.

Maybe we'll get a better performing Genesis emulator too. If anyone can do it Notaz can. Is there finally going to be a Picodrive for PSP?

Sp3ct0r
November 16th, 2007, 01:51
haha awesome, sega cd kicks ass.

Veskgar
November 16th, 2007, 02:37
Very cool news. I had a Sega CD and do remember games such as Night Trap, Ground Zero Texas, Sewer Shark, etc. But I would mostly want to play games like Lunar. Hey, maybe this thread will also be a good opportunity for everyone to list their favorite Sega CD games so that we can get a refresher on the great ones.

New emulator developments for the PSP are really what make me the most excited about PSP homebrew.

SpacemanSpiff
November 16th, 2007, 03:26
Sweet, can't wait to play Sonic CD and Snatcher (in english) on my PSP!
Probably a stupid question but could the PSP handle 32X emulation? Though even if it could I doubt anyone would bother since there weren't too many 32X games that are even worth playing.

Buddy4point0
November 16th, 2007, 03:36
YES. this is realy great. i cant wait to get this when it is released. thank you.

Mr. Shizzy
November 16th, 2007, 04:18
Sweet. So would 32X games be possible to make compatible too?

armyStrong
November 16th, 2007, 04:39
All the Sega talk earlier had me busting out my old SegaCD...and now it seems I'll eventually be able to take it on the go...

*waits anxiously, but patiently*

repuken2
November 16th, 2007, 05:06
FINAL FIGHT CD!!! yeah!!.
btw i still own my old sega cd-genesis combo and once in a while i play it.

yoshinatsu
November 16th, 2007, 05:08
You can play Lunar on the PlayStation emulator:rolleyes:
Both of them.

Vega
November 16th, 2007, 05:21
You can play Lunar on the PlayStation emulator:rolleyes:
Both of them.

was just about to say that ;)

SegaCD is something I wouldnt be highly interested in (I have Sonic-CD on the Sonic Gems compilation).. maybe I would give final fight CD a go... but trying to find those damn discs would be hard.
If it ever became playable I would maybe hunt down Final Fight CD on ebay and give it a go. Otherwise I'll probably stay away from it.

But...never to knock a possible PSP project on its arse... I hope this rumored emulator sees the light of day :D

pibs
November 16th, 2007, 05:43
ah hope its true. sorry to ask such a question but is there a Sega Model 1 or 2 emulator for psp or does the current mame emus support them?

osgeld
November 16th, 2007, 06:33
all the really good cd games were available on cart, but the cd based ones were just bigger and grander ... if you could stomach the load times

and theres TONS of places to by the disk's, including Play Asia

32x might be interesting ... the mech game was half decent, but the 32x, for the most part, was just a weak saturn precursor, since the saturn itself isnt that strong of a computer and its hard to emulate, one might expect a 32x to be only slightly easier

sappo
November 16th, 2007, 07:36
ah hope its true. sorry to ask such a question but is there a Sega Model 1 or 2 emulator for psp or does the current mame emus support them?

MAME on a PC currently has problems and is not full speed emulating them, so seeing an emulator for M1 and M2 on PSP is almost impossible (not if SofiyaCat makes another unplayable port :rofl:) :D

eternityoffate
November 16th, 2007, 07:39
Popful mail is like a land mark of my childhood. I defiantly played through that game more times than any other video game ever.

Snatcher, Lunar, Lunar 2, Heimdall, and final fight were all amazing titles. Sega cd was also very adult for it's time, if you've ever played snatcher you know what i mean.

But regarding the remakes of lunar and lunar 2. They just don't have the same charm as the originals. I think it was the more neutral color schemes of the sega cd, but the originals seemed simpler and less generic RPG. Also the soundtracks for the sega cd version were different a lot of the best music wasn't even transfered to the newer versions.

Also if you haven't played through the sega cd version of lunar 2 there seemed to be some set up for a lunar 3 towards the end of the game. Which never really happened on the sega cd, but they left that out of the new one too.

But yeah for sega cd emulation!

jamotto
November 16th, 2007, 08:18
Cool, would be nice to play Heart of the Alien on the psp.

pibs
November 16th, 2007, 08:28
MAME on a PC currently has problems and is not full speed emulating them, so seeing an emulator for M1 and M2 on PSP is almost impossible (not if SofiyaCat makes another unplayable port :rofl:) :D

model 2 runs quite well on pc thanks to ElSemi's emulator. heres a preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2YIIO3lphY

Model 2 specifications

* Main CPU: Intel i960 @ 25 MHz
* Graphics Coprocessor: 5 x Fujitsu TGP MB86234 FPU (Model 2/2A-CRX) or 2 x Analog Devices SHARC FPU (Model 2B-CRX or 2 x Fujitsu TGPx4 MB86235 FPU (Model 2C-CRX)
* Sound CPU: Motorola 68000 @ 10 MHz (Model 2) or Motorola 68000 @ 12 MHz (Model 2A-CRX/2B-CRX/2C-CRX)
* Sound Chip: 2 x Sega 315-5560 custom 28 channel PCM (Model 2) or SCSP (Model 2A-CRX/2B-CRX/2C-CRX)
* Sound Timer: Yamaha YM3834 @ 8MHz (Model 2 only)
* Display Resolution: 496 x 384
* Color Depth: 16-bit
* Graphical Capabilities: Flat shading, Perspective correction, Texture mapping, Diffuse reflection, Specular reflection, Alpha blending
* Geometric performance: 300,000 polygons/sec. at up to 60 fps

but yea i guess your right, emulating it on psp would probably run like crap. Ill shut up now lol going too off topic.

geise69
November 16th, 2007, 11:20
Yes it runs well if you have a 3ghz Core 2 duo, 2 gb of ddr2 ram and at least a 7800gt. Back on topic Notaz is an amazing coder. I have been playing Vay and Lunar all week on my GP2X. His Picodrive emulator he ported and added Sega-CD emulation to is amazing. Everyone here in the PSP community is gonna love this. He's very dedicated and is also very helpful if anyone runs into issues. Just give this some time and it's gonna be worth it. Hey Notaz! I know you used the other ARM processor in the GP2X to get that extra boost in speed. This opened up the door for sega cd emulation. How are you going about doing this on the psp. Are you going to go the route as doing something like the media engine? Also since I have both a psp and GP2X I'd love to compare these when it gets released. Good luck in the port. :)

kharaboudjan
November 16th, 2007, 13:55
Chilly Willy at ********** forums talked about making a Sega CD emu from scratch before. dont know if he actually is serious about it. dont know if he has released anything else before..

PSmonkey
November 16th, 2007, 16:14
model 2 runs quite well on pc thanks to ElSemi's emulator. heres a preview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2YIIO3lphY

Model 2 specifications

* Main CPU: Intel i960 @ 25 MHz
* Graphics Coprocessor: 5 x Fujitsu TGP MB86234 FPU (Model 2/2A-CRX) or 2 x Analog Devices SHARC FPU (Model 2B-CRX or 2 x Fujitsu TGPx4 MB86235 FPU (Model 2C-CRX)
* Sound CPU: Motorola 68000 @ 10 MHz (Model 2) or Motorola 68000 @ 12 MHz (Model 2A-CRX/2B-CRX/2C-CRX)
* Sound Chip: 2 x Sega 315-5560 custom 28 channel PCM (Model 2) or SCSP (Model 2A-CRX/2B-CRX/2C-CRX)
* Sound Timer: Yamaha YM3834 @ 8MHz (Model 2 only)
* Display Resolution: 496 x 384
* Color Depth: 16-bit
* Graphical Capabilities: Flat shading, Perspective correction, Texture mapping, Diffuse reflection, Specular reflection, Alpha blending
* Geometric performance: 300,000 polygons/sec. at up to 60 fps

but yea i guess your right, emulating it on psp would probably run like crap. Ill shut up now lol going too off topic.

Is ElSemi's emulator an interpreter based or does it do recompiling?

Mr.Denny
November 16th, 2007, 16:32
Hope it's true.

But if it is true I think any attempt would be applauded by the community. Along with the N64 emu could this potentially be one of the last possible emus for the PSP?.

cal360
November 16th, 2007, 17:01
This is very interesting. I awlways thought this should be possible even though it wouldn't be at a decent speed. I'll be looking forward to this and it will be good to see the development of this

Mr.Denny
November 16th, 2007, 17:07
Sega CD has always been a given. If GP2X can do it obviously so can PSP since PSP is more powerful, although it might take a more serious CPU core in ASM than what's in the current Genesis emulators for PSP.

Maybe we'll get a better performing Genesis emulator too. If anyone can do it Notaz can. Is there finally going to be a Picodrive for PSP?

Really?

I always justed assumed the GP2X was a more powerful piece of kit.

Sounds promising.

Vampy
November 16th, 2007, 18:42
I'd rather have full speed Mega Drive first...
But this sounds good.

indstr
November 16th, 2007, 20:50

I was going to say this was a hoax.. that somebody had just photoshopped a 4:3 image into 480x272 resolution, but if Exophase believes in it, it may be really happing :thumbup:

and I also hope that we get a better performing genesis emulator too. I've NEVER been impressed by the speed of Dgen or Pspgenesis.... which pretty much require frameskip 1 for everything :(

Lordus
November 16th, 2007, 21:01
If it's really Notaz, then i am sure he can do it. Also, there is practically no way, to have a full speed SegaCD emulator, without having a full speed Genesis emu first, as the SegaCD is nothing more than a complete Genesis with extra hardware. So if PicodrivePSP gets released, i am sure you will have your full speed Genesis emulation ;)
Too bad i have neiter GP2X nor PSP, because the SegaCD is my favorite console...

Raziel-chan
November 16th, 2007, 22:21
Really?

I always justed assumed the GP2X was a more powerful piece of kit.

Sounds promising.

GP2X Specifications:

* Chipset: MagicEyes MMSP2 MP2520F System-on-a-Chip
* CPU: 200MHz ARM920T host processor, 200MHz ARM940T programmable coprocessor
* NAND Flash ROM: 64 MB
* RAM: SDRAM 64 MB
* Operating System: Linux-based OS
* Storage: SD Card (Latest hacked firmwares will support SDHC)
* Connection to PC: USB 2.0 High Speed
* USB Host: USB 1.1
* Power: 2 × AA battery or via AC adapter
* Display: 320×240 3.5 inch, 65,536 colors TFT LCD
* TV output
* Physical size: 143.6 mm wide, 82.9 mm high, 27 mm (excl. joystick approx.) / 34 mm deep
* Weight: 161 g (without battery)

Most of the units can be overclocked to 240 mhz, some even to 300, but it doesn't change the fact that it has no full-fledged 3D GPU like the PSP one. The second processor is usually used for video processing and while it can be programmed for other tasks under linux, it's difficult.

cya
Raziel-chan

Mr.Denny
November 16th, 2007, 22:24
Many thanks for the info

So after a considerable amount of work I assume a decent speed Sega CD emu is possible?.

Exophase
November 17th, 2007, 00:06
If it's really Notaz, then i am sure he can do it. Also, there is practically no way, to have a full speed SegaCD emulator, without having a full speed Genesis emu first, as the SegaCD is nothing more than a complete Genesis with extra hardware. So if PicodrivePSP gets released, i am sure you will have your full speed Genesis emulation ;)
Too bad i have neiter GP2X nor PSP, because the SegaCD is my favorite console...

Depends how you define "fullspeed", maybe both SegaCD and Genesis will need frameskip like current emulators for PSP (or at least that's what I hear). If Notaz is doing it he's probably pretty serious about it and will have optimized video rendering.

Veskgar
November 17th, 2007, 03:37
Depends how you define "fullspeed", maybe both SegaCD and Genesis will need frameskip like current emulators for PSP (or at least that's what I hear). If Notaz is doing it he's probably pretty serious about it and will have optimized video rendering.

It seems to be unfortunate that the Slim PSP (PSP-2000) models don't hold as much promise for these emulators as many have hoped. Is it the same case for this as well? Will using the 51MB or 52MB of RAM that Dark_AleX has unlocked in a Slim rersion of a Sega CD emulator yield better performance?

Buddy4point0
November 17th, 2007, 04:19
It seems to be unfortunate that the Slim PSP (PSP-2000) models don't hold as much promise for these emulators as many have hoped. Is it the same case for this as well? Will using the 51MB or 52MB of RAM that Dark_AleX has unlocked in a Slim version of a Sega CD emulator yield better performance?

i dont think that would effect it much. the segaCD has much less RAM than even a normal PSP

dgbbad
November 17th, 2007, 09:35
OMFG!!! i just peed a little... please make this happen on the psp. this has my favorite games ever!!! lol and i started it! woot! ive been waiting for something to pull be back into the psp scene hardcore...this would make my YEAR! lunar is the greatest game ever! and whoever said that i could play ps1 version obviously hasnt played the sega cd one... its way way way better on the sega cd. oh and vay....i could play vay alllll day! this is a happy day... =)

Veskgar
November 17th, 2007, 10:22

It seems to be unfortunate that the Slim PSP (PSP-2000) models don't hold as much promise for these emulators as many have hoped. Is it the same case for this as well? Will using the 51MB or 52MB of RAM that Dark_AleX has unlocked in a Slim version of a Sega CD emulator yield better performance?

notaz
November 17th, 2007, 10:26
hmm...

O-bake
November 17th, 2007, 11:32
Oh my god :eek:
..he's torturing us

andwhyisit
November 17th, 2007, 15:10
Hope it's true.

But if it is true I think any attempt would be applauded by the community. Along with the N64 emu could this potentially be one of the last possible emus for the PSP?.

There are still plenty of emulators that haven't been made yet.

Sonicboy 101
November 17th, 2007, 15:22
Man... I really hope this is true!
Oh and post a Sonic CD screen! :)

kharaboudjan
November 17th, 2007, 15:32
i think its a hoax. he has only 2 posts here. could be anyone..

Mr.Denny
November 17th, 2007, 16:49
Yeah, I'd be more inclined to call it a hoax now. The member only posted two comments and really would have said more to assure people it's real. Also, anyone with Photoshop could easily take a Mega CD screen shot and change its dimensions.

Anyway, I'll consider it fake until proven wrong.

tommydanger
November 17th, 2007, 16:59
lol please people, use common sense
how come he has already dcemu coder status?
how come exophase has only good things to say about him?
1+1=1?!

Lordus
November 17th, 2007, 17:20
If it is the real Notaz, then it is most certainly not a hoax. And i dont see any indication, that it isnt him.

Mr.Denny
November 17th, 2007, 17:29
lol please people, use common sense
how come he has already dcemu coder status?
how come exophase has only good things to say about him?
1+1=1?!

Oh, I didn't see that he had coder status. :P

Ok then, I wants it now. :eek:

PSmonkey
November 17th, 2007, 18:10
hmm...

Sonic CD next please. :D

Mr.Denny
November 17th, 2007, 18:13
Who cares about Sonic CD? Who cares about Snatcher?

Seriously.

Now, Marky Marks - Make my video. There's a game worthy of a screenshot. :p

Tinnus
November 17th, 2007, 19:44
Cool, would be nice to play Heart of the Alien on the psp.
Did you know I ported an interpreter just for that? :P

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33044

It's not 100% perfect, but I completed the game on it.

matt2k
November 17th, 2007, 22:16
Whoa Tinnus. Haven't seen ya here for a while. How goes LJX? Last I remember, you had a proof of concept going on. How has things been since?

pibs
November 17th, 2007, 23:46
Oh my god :eek:
..he's torturing us

seriously huh

can't wait to play Cadillacs and Dinosaurs LOL
there was this pretty good detective game i think it was called Who Shot Johnny Rock?

Mr.Denny
November 18th, 2007, 00:51
Anyone care to suggest on what kind of seeds we may see in the first release?.

Veskgar
November 18th, 2007, 08:17
i think its a hoax. he has only 2 posts here. could be anyone..

Yeah, I'd be more inclined to call it a hoax now. The member only posted two comments and really would have said more to assure people it's real. Also, anyone with Photoshop could easily take a Mega CD screen shot and change its dimensions.

Anyway, I'll consider it fake until proven wrong.

Those types of posts are totally uncalled for. This guy has already proved himself on other projects for other platforms. He is renowned and respected by other top coders. Saying stuff like that makes it no surprise why so many coders start to think "why bother" as there is very little respect in the PSP homebrew community.

And anyway, he has proved you wrong with a release so next time lets give more benefit of the doubt and offer support.

bah
November 18th, 2007, 08:38
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/picodrive-for-psp-released-genesis-sega-cd-emulator-for-psp-79599.html

Its released and its fantastic, this thread can now RIP. :)