PDA

View Full Version : SIMPLE step by step instruction - GPS 290 installation

pspnewbe
November 16th, 2007, 08:54
Hey guys,
i've done a lot of research on this and other sites for the past week and my mind is about to explode. too many abbreviations i don't understand and every "FAQ" quickly goes over my head. i'm not computer illiterate but can't figure this out:

Problem: how do i install the sony gps 290 on my slim psp.
my system software is says "3.71 M33". doesn't say anything about updates.

so far i've managed to download mapviwer_v05.rar, 3.71 prx.rar and MapThis_0461S_beta.rar but i haven't done anything with them yet.

can someone help me out with what to download and how to install it?? i know it must have been asked a million times before but not in a simple way a total newbe can figure out from A-Z.

Thanks.

johoo
November 16th, 2007, 11:05
use the 0.505 version
put it in PSP/GAME371
no need of prx's

download a map
put it in PSP/GAME371/MAPVIEWER/MAPS

run mapthis

phatman1759
February 14th, 2008, 19:33
i also have a standard psp black that i just purchased a gps 290for and i need help in getting this to work can someone please help me i am new to this and need step by step instructions since some of the other instructions are a bit vauge.

:rofl:

Nieko
February 14th, 2008, 19:52
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!

phatman1759
February 14th, 2008, 23:03
I have the MAP THIS! on my psp but where do i put the GDML folder at? I have New York City up when i turn it on but thats it. Thank u very much for the link and help.

PDG
February 18th, 2008, 12:15
Download the latest Map This version and adapt my guides accordingly :D

Read my sign and good luck <3

derek1212
February 20th, 2008, 07:03
hi...
hmm...I am using FW 3.90M33-2 , I didn't find any usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx in MAPthis's file .....
Should I need to put those in it ???
Would the GPS work without these files ??

sorry for nub's questions XD

AdamRav
February 20th, 2008, 09:26
hi...
hmm...I am using FW 3.90M33-2 , I didn't find any usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx in MAPthis's file .....
Should I need to put those in it ???
Would the GPS work without these files ??

sorry for nub's questions XD

All you do is out the mapviewer folder in the GAME380 folder

and it should loads up

them 2 files your talking bout are already loaded onto the psp

derek1212
February 20th, 2008, 09:57
All you do is out the mapviewer folder in the GAME380 folder

and it should loads up

them 2 files your talking bout are already loaded onto the psp

omg...thank you so much man`~!:D

AdamRav
February 21st, 2008, 18:27
omg...thank you so much man`~!:D

No probs man

did you get it to work ?

zenkou
February 25th, 2008, 00:57
I just bought a PSP2001PB (slim, do you call it?) and have been crawling this site in an effort to get the gps working (I have the sony gps hardware). Firmware is 3.9, but I don't find any folder called Game390, its just called Game. I unzipped mapviwer_v05.rar to the Game folder and MapThis runs for 2 secs before I get an error.

If I am reading right, do I have to buy another battery and downgrade to CFM? That sounds like a blast ...

Appreciate your time!

derek1212
February 25th, 2008, 03:13
No probs man

did you get it to work ?

ah..not yet man...
I live in Hong Kong...and I'm gonna migrate to L.A...
So...I am asking details abt how it works....
Cause buying PSP-290 GPS is so expensive in HK...

But other problem is.....Using DIY method ...I meant using the Holux GPS is more cheaper while I am not sure if I could make it work on psp....

So...I am confused now.....
PSP-290 GPS is the easiest way .....but I'm not sure the price in Los angeles...
Using DIY is cheaper....but I'm sure if i could make it.....

I am stuck.....lol

billy9394
February 27th, 2008, 00:55
i followed the directions on wiki, everything seems to be going smoothly. i installed and downloaded maps. mapthis started fine and i was able to see the map i downloaded. my problem is when i hit the "square" button to turn gps on, it says "GPS ON" but does not go to my location. i see that in the bottom right hand side, there's no reception. i tried going to different areas yet i still get no reception. I am from boston, ma. is there no reception here or did i do something wrong???

BouncE
February 27th, 2008, 17:52
i followed the directions on wiki, everything seems to be going smoothly. i installed and downloaded maps. mapthis started fine and i was able to see the map i downloaded. my problem is when i hit the "square" button to turn gps on, it says "GPS ON" but does not go to my location. i see that in the bottom right hand side, there's no reception. i tried going to different areas yet i still get no reception. I am from boston, ma. is there no reception here or did i do something wrong???

what GPS receiver are you using? the GPS-290 one or a generic kind?

manborn
March 16th, 2008, 01:59
No probs man

did you get it to work ?

ur f'ing genius, just had to rename my 303 folder to 380. up and running again after upgrading to 390 m33-2

HUGE THANKS

r2000
March 20th, 2008, 12:42
ah..not yet man...
I live in Hong Kong...and I'm gonna migrate to L.A...
So...I am asking details abt how it works....
Cause buying PSP-290 GPS is so expensive in HK...

But other problem is.....Using DIY method ...I meant using the Holux GPS is more cheaper while I am not sure if I could make it work on psp....

So...I am confused now.....
PSP-290 GPS is the easiest way .....but I'm not sure the price in Los angeles...
Using DIY is cheaper....but I'm sure if i could make it.....

I am stuck.....lol
You should be able to get PSP-290 from play-asia.com at very favorable price and postage free to Hong Kong.