PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero VS Real Guitar?

Johnny Rash
November 17th, 2007, 10:49
I was recently in a heated debate with some friends about this topic.

My friends insisted that playing Guitar Hero is harder AND more entertaining than playing a real guitar.

And so, I thought of all the times I've heard:
"I can play Stairway To Heaven...on Guitar Hero."

If you play Guitar Hero, why don't you take it a step further and learn the instrument?
Guitar Hero portrays the guitar as a single string with 5 frets that magically change pitch.

But enough, I want to know what everyone else thinks about it!

On a side note, here is a song I've been listening to non-stop.
I love Johnny Cash!

And Sevendust ain't too bad either...
PLoKpmV_FWg

gdf
November 17th, 2007, 15:46
Guitar Hero is a rock-star simulator, I find it more fun in the short term, but learning guitar is ultimately more rewarding. To be honest, I get a lot more fun out of the game.

JKKDARK
November 17th, 2007, 16:33
Playing a real guitar is better.. ALWAYS

acn010
November 17th, 2007, 16:38
real guitar is difficult.... no matter what... i prefer REAL guitar than an electronic crap.... i know how to play real guitar and playing guitar hero is a bit different than the real... so basically it has its own aspects

wolfpack
November 17th, 2007, 16:52
I can play Jordan... horribly... on guitar hero :p

haha only kidding around. ive tried playing the real guitar, its a little tough, never cot any lessons in. maybe i should do that.

kcajblue
November 17th, 2007, 17:46
the guitar is harder to do than guitar hero no doubt about that, and it is fun.
but since i suck at it, i find that while guitar hero is easier than the real guitar it is more fun.

ganondorf
November 17th, 2007, 18:21
real guitar is much more difficult.

like Johnny Rash said, guitar hero portrays the guitar with one string and 5 frets.

gdf
November 17th, 2007, 18:46
But if you see it like that, you're missing the point. It's not a guitar sim, it's a rocker sim.

ICE
November 17th, 2007, 19:37
Ive said it many times. I prefer really playing guitar over faking it. Guitar Hero is simply air guitar + a peripheral lol :P

gdf
November 17th, 2007, 19:46
Ive said it many times. I prefer really playing guitar over faking it. Guitar Hero is simply air guitar + a peripheral lol :P

Which makes it TOTALLY FRESKIN' AWESOME!

:thumbup:

Axelius
November 17th, 2007, 20:04
Last week there was a south park episode on this topic. The episode ist called Guitar Queer-o

The King
November 17th, 2007, 20:23
real guitar is way better and harder to learn than guitar hero

guitar hero just takes practice and its easier to remember the songs than a real guitar

Johnny Rash
November 17th, 2007, 23:06
Just glad everyone else sees it that way.

Thing is...after playing some Guitar Hero, I noticed that the game, on expert, may part on the real guitar that were originally pretty easy...very hard.

It's still ridiculous how that argument even came to be.
Stupid friends...

pibs
November 17th, 2007, 23:20
Real guitar is harder, playing trooper on real guitar is waaay funner than in gh2 lol

Anonymous D
November 17th, 2007, 23:35
how is air guitar not an option on this poll lol. id go for a real guitar anyday, as ive been playing one for a few years now, but id love to try guitar hero, just to see wether all that real guitar would help.

Johnny Rash
November 17th, 2007, 23:38
I really doesn't help.

I had been playing guitar for 4 years before Guitar Hero came out.

I played...and I was LOST! :eek:

But you learn a little faster.
And when you do get it...you get really good.

And then, if you're like me, you put that plastic crap down and go play guitar.

Anonymous D
November 17th, 2007, 23:44
lol i suspected actual musical abiliaty would play no part in guitar hero.
i dont mind the game, even though i do play the real thing, but idf anyone were to ever claim they were some kind of mucisian becuase they play guitar hero....well they wouldnt be saying much else.

kcajblue
November 17th, 2007, 23:50
I really doesn't help.

I had been playing guitar for 4 years before Guitar Hero came out.

I played...and I was LOST! :eek:

But you learn a little faster.
And when you do get it...you get really good.

And then, if you're like me, you put that plastic crap down and go play guitar.i got the hang of gh really fast.
i played it before i played the guitar or ukulele.

Johnny Rash
November 18th, 2007, 00:23
Remember, there are no chicks in playing Guitar Hero.

Learn to play guitar with REALLY SIMPLE John Mayer songs...chicks everywhere. (Seriously!)

And with that motivation...at least 5 people will pick up and learn to play guitar.

kcajblue
November 18th, 2007, 01:29
i can play like 30 seconds into st patricks day.
i havent bothered to learn the "who knows..." part and the rest of it.

Johnny Rash
November 18th, 2007, 01:42
I'm on my way to learning Gravity.

After that...I'm set for life.
Or if you learn how to play Daughters.
BAM! Chicks everywhere!

kcajblue
November 18th, 2007, 01:56
my brother can play daughters.
i think he played it for his class for part of his report on some sort of music topic.

ICE
November 18th, 2007, 02:04
I'm on my way to learning Gravity.

After that...I'm set for life.
Or if you learn how to play Daughters.
BAM! Chicks everywhere!

Crap my secret is out..

lmtlmt
November 18th, 2007, 02:08
i can play smoke on the water!

lol but i have never played guitar hero, and never really learned the guitar but i can play smoke on the water! that was the song i learned and i dont even have a guitar.

Johnny Rash
November 18th, 2007, 02:10
my brother can play daughters.
i think he played it for his class for part of his report on some sort of music topic.

Does your brother now wear a velvet suit, carry a cane, and have a feather in his hat?

Crap my secret is out..

It's been amended to the man laws.
That song is sure-fire.

pibs
November 18th, 2007, 02:15
Daughters is an automatic chick magnet haha, you can look like shrek and if you can play that song you'd manage to get at least one girl to notice you lol

edit: it doesn't hurt to know a little jack johnson either

DarthPaul
November 18th, 2007, 09:36
Guitar Hero is a rock-star simulator, I find it more fun in the short term, but learning guitar is ultimately more rewarding. To be honest, I get a lot more fun out of the game.

Totally agree. I get more fun out of the game because I kinda suck with real guitars. I can play Master of Puppets - Metallica, full, with the solo. That's the best I can do with a real guitar lol.

gdf
November 18th, 2007, 11:11
Totally agree. I get more fun out of the game because I kinda suck with real guitars. I can play Master of Puppets - Metallica, full, with the solo. That's the best I can do with a real guitar lol.
:eek: But that's crazily good.

Johnny Rash
November 18th, 2007, 19:47
Yeah DarthPaul.

You should put the plastic down and pick the wood back up. :D

the_eternal_dark
November 18th, 2007, 20:34
Try playing Guitar Hero after playing guitar for a few years, I can't do it.

gdf
November 18th, 2007, 20:40
Yeah DarthPaul.

You should put the plastic down and pick the wood back up. :D

Yeah you get up loads of wood when you can play John Mayer!

:cool:

DarthPaul
November 19th, 2007, 05:04
Lol I'm not playing guitar again guys. Not for a while... mine is all messed up, it's missing 3 strings and the line that goes to the amp doesn't work anymore.

Johnny Rash
November 19th, 2007, 08:09
Pack of Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings...$5.

Monster Cable with LIFETIME WARRANTY (No Questions Asked)...$40.

Your guitar missed you DarthPaul.

jonezybaby
November 19th, 2007, 12:34
Playing a real guitar is better.. ALWAYS

Totally!!

more rewardin, like whos gonna get laughed at the most?

1. i can play GnR - Sweet Child Of Mine On Guitar Hero!!

2. i can play GnR - Sweet Child Of Mine On A Real Guitar!!!

You Feel Like God Wen U Can Play Ur Fav Guitar Solo On A Real Guitar!

PSPdemon
November 19th, 2007, 14:24
I've played guitars now for quite some time and have learned alot from playing them.

To be able to play a song on a real guitar ( no matter if its a classical to heavy metal ) is more rewarding than any difficulty level of guitar hero, however thats just my opinion

when i first picked up the guitar hero controller, it felt wierd, becuase im used to it being much biger so my figers didnt feel right with the neck, and i couldnt technically pick...

overall, nothing compares to playing a real guitar IMO.

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

AvengedSevenfold Fan
November 19th, 2007, 18:45
you cant compare the two. they are completely different concepts, and people who play guitar hero realize that. its guitar hero is simply a game that tests your reflexes and coordination; while a real guitar is used for art.

ICE
November 19th, 2007, 19:12
Lol I'm not playing guitar again guys. Not for a while... mine is all messed up, it's missing 3 strings and the line that goes to the amp doesn't work anymore.

Please dont tell me you were playing it when it was missing 2 strings...

Johnny Rash
November 19th, 2007, 21:23
Totally!!

more rewardin, like whos gonna get laughed at the most?

1. i can play GnR - Sweet Child Of Mine On Guitar Hero!!

2. i can play GnR - Sweet Child Of Mine On A Real Guitar!!!

You Feel Like God Wen U Can Play Ur Fav Guitar Solo On A Real Guitar!

Yeah, it is a mighty feeling!

I've played guitars now for quite some time and have learned alot from playing them.

To be able to play a song on a real guitar ( no matter if its a classical to heavy metal ) is more rewarding than any difficulty level of guitar hero, however thats just my opinion

when i first picked up the guitar hero controller, it felt wierd, becuase im used to it being much biger so my figers didnt feel right with the neck, and i couldnt technically pick...

overall, nothing compares to playing a real guitar IMO.

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

One more for my argument against my stupid non-talented buddies.
And another for the realization of how many musician we have here on DCEmu.

you cant compare the two. they are completely different concepts, and people who play guitar hero realize that. its guitar hero is simply a game that tests your reflexes and coordination; while a real guitar is used for art.

You're totally right.
But the people I know that play Guitar Hero decided to gang up on me in my living room with crap about how playing Jordan on expert is harder that any song I'll ever play on guitar.

This thread was gather other's opinions against their stupid argument.

Please dont tell me you were playing it when it was missing 2 strings...

:rofl:
If he lost the B and the high E, he could still play La Bamba.
Well...minus the little solo.

Johnny Rash
November 19th, 2007, 21:52
Apologies for the double post, first off.

I've decided to release an old recording I found of an old group I played in that I released on Homebrew Heaven.

I just decided to amend it here because DCEmu could use less useless threads by me pertaining to music and such.

My personal compliment to Jack Johnson.
Upside Down! (http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/5/1411679/Upside%20Down%20%28cover%29.mp3)

That's me. Playing rhythm and doing back-up vocals.
Post your reviews.
Please and Thank You!

ICE
November 19th, 2007, 22:03
:rofl:
If he lost the B and the high E, he could still play La Bamba.
Well...minus the little solo.

Hahaha id like to see that actually.

Johnny Rash
November 19th, 2007, 22:20
And you'd still be able to do power chords for the extremely easy punk songs.

PSPdemon
November 19th, 2007, 22:32
Johnny Rash, what style of guitar do you play? also what types of guitars do you own ( name'em if you want ;) )

i own 7 guitars now ( had 13 :eek: )

3 ( all crap really, but with imported concerto strings they sound as good as the high dollar ones ) classicals and 4 ( Martin Stinger solid body, Krammer, Schecter, and a throw around washburn ) electrics. ( however, i own other stringed instruments... banjo and uke ;) )

i play all kinds of music, from classical flaminco style to jazz to rock :)

so.... what do you play? ( just curious ;) )

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

Johnny Rash
November 19th, 2007, 22:59
Well, I began playing guitar playing for a mariachi in my freshman year of high school.

I learned to play guitar, a small guitar-like instrument with 5 strings called vehuela, and the mariachi 6-strings bass called a guitarron.

I played with them for 3 1/2 years and became quite proficient with the 3 of them.
The thing is...I stopped playing guitar for about a year when I was the only bass they had.
2nd best in the district!

Also played for Advance orchestra and Jazz band on stand-up bass for a year and a half.

Just recently I moved and am not playing for the group anymore.
And with that, I picked my guitar back up.

Before I stopped playing I mainly played a lot of flamenco along with that recording earlier posted. Mainly with acoustic guitars. (Although I owned an electric.)

Now I'm focusing back on more modern versions of classical styles.
I'm getting this love for distortion!

So I play jazz, metal, classic rock styles, fingerstyles, and just random stuff.

As for the instruments.
I own an unbranded classical style guitar, a Takamine steel-string acoustic, a Fender Bullet Squire, and a bass I took from a friend with the brand filed off.
But judging from the string action and crap pickups, I'd guess it's First Act.

I also taught myself to play the piano pretty well using the knowledge from the mariachi bass and guitar.
I ended up learning to read the grand staff.
(Although, I still have a hard time with the sight reading on a piano.)

I'd say I'm a pretty well rounded musician.
And I just supplied the whole 4 year history since I started playing to now.

ICE
November 19th, 2007, 23:12
What about you ice?

Well as I started out in middle school. Ive never taken any lessons so im 100% self taught. That being said it was slow going for a long while.

About 3 years ago I guess I just had a breakthrough and It started clicking :D Since then ive played at a handful of churches and im pretty decent.

I play anything from folk to grunge and anything in between. I want to do more classical stuff but I just dont have the time right now :( At some point I want to pick up the piano more but for now its only guitar and the occasional vocals. (only when I have to.)

Oh and I dabble in bass.

I own a strat, an acoustic electric Johnson, an old Silvertone acoustic, an Ibanez bass, and my old piece of crap started guitar in my garage :P

Johnny Rash
November 19th, 2007, 23:15
That's awesome ICE.

Maybe one day...one giant DCEmu/HH jam session will take place!

Keep it up!
And sorry for not asking. You have been pretty active on this thread.
I should have asked you.
My apologies.

ICE
November 19th, 2007, 23:19
It has been talked about before but its never happened.. Ive recorded a few parts (crudely) for ExcrutiationX but nothing has ever came of any of it.

Oh and dont worry about not asking me :D

Johnny Rash
November 19th, 2007, 23:22
Does ExcruciationX play an instrument?

ICE
November 19th, 2007, 23:27
No but he does some audio editing an his pc i think. Its been a while and I didnt really pay attention at the time :D

Johnny Rash
November 19th, 2007, 23:30
I really am surprised by how many people here are into the arts.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one.
The fate of fine arts hangs in the balance.

It would will be a sad day when ALL music comes from a computer application.

ICE
November 20th, 2007, 00:04
Surely it will never come to that..

Johnny Rash
November 20th, 2007, 00:07
Well, guitar is still being learned by many people.
But less than a quarter of them will bother continuing with music as guitar is just an instrument more kids learn to act cool.

But...what is the future of my orchestras...my jazz...the FINE arts.

ICE
November 20th, 2007, 00:13
Eh.. Orchestras have been on the down since what the 50's? It is sorta sad... Classical music seems so far from "mainstream" that I cant imagine it ever being big again.

Johnny Rash
November 20th, 2007, 00:18
It's such a shame.

Looks I'll have to move to a different country to join a complete philharmonic.

Such a thing simply does exist in America anymore.

PSPdemon
November 20th, 2007, 01:11
Eh.. Orchestras have been on the down since what the 50's? It is sorta sad... Classical music seems so far from "mainstream" that I cant imagine it ever being big again.

i would not say its been out that long...

its just that its being expressed differently threw different methods ;)

i dont have a drummer, nor a bass guitar... i would love to try my hands at bass one of these days.

ive been trying to do what everyone has done i suppose, which is merge classical and metal ( basically what i meant by classical is just being expressed differently ;) )

maybe one of these days ill get to finish it...who knows

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon