PDA

View Full Version : Dark Alex to Return/New M33 Firmware ?

wraggster
November 19th, 2007, 06:37
Mathieulh posted this interesting news :

Not quite a surprise but I rather make it official, after much reflexion Alex decided to go on with the M33 project, although you should not expect as regular updates as there used to be, for instance the M33 will be updated to future kernels only when believed necessary, thus no 3.72M33 planned (we are waiting on future official firmwares and keep improving M33's features from now on.)

Nice to know that when a good firmware update comes from Sony that we may have a new custom firmware shortly after.

CaptainMorgan4
November 19th, 2007, 06:44
And not only that, the custom firmware will be very reliable because it's made by DA, good news to see he's back.

Lnathan9129
November 19th, 2007, 07:19
Thats awesome! ^_^ looking forward to the great updates now that DA is back in the scene :D this made my day.

V3N0M
November 19th, 2007, 07:23
Glad to see he's here to stay! I hope he will continue his work/investigation on the 1.5 kernel and somehow making it work on the PSP Slim. Now that he figured out the display drivers ( Which was one of the major issues ) He might just be able to get the rest sorted out and we'll have 1.5 kernel running a PSP Slim someday!

ALoGeNo
November 19th, 2007, 07:24
nice news ;)

woop
November 19th, 2007, 07:38
Glad to see that he never really left us. So finally I can have faith in the psp scene because DAX is keeping it alive, along with the release of picodrive I am complete once again.

yoshinatsu
November 19th, 2007, 08:32
Heh, as always, DAX never leaves :p

Veskgar
November 19th, 2007, 08:35
Christmas is right around the corner and will mark 1 year since I left the coveted 1.50 for Dark_AleX's custom firmware. And I'm glad I did. What a ride its been over the past 11 months.

Just when you think things can't get much better for the PSP homebrew scene we generously received the PicoDrive Genesis/Sega CD emulator from Notaz and now news that Dark_AleX & team will stay on board with the PSP scene for the foreseeable future.

We must never forget how lucky we are and how much appreciation is owed to all of the coders who continue making the PSP so damn amazing.

I must say that I agree in the strategy of waiting for major official firmware updates before tackling new CFW's. I think that is more beneficial in the long-term.

So another thanks to all the PSP homebrew coders, devs, and everyone in between that is involved in this great community of ours.

Cloudhunter
November 19th, 2007, 08:48
Glad to see he's here to stay! I hope he will continue his work/investigation on the 1.5 kernel and somehow making it work on the PSP Slim. Now that he figured out the display drivers ( Which was one of the major issues ) He might just be able to get the rest sorted out and we'll have 1.5 kernel running a PSP Slim someday!

They already can. They just decided not to release it. See the post from Mathieulh here

http://www.lan.st/showpost.php?p=9115&postcount=3

By the way, the original forum thread which this news is stolen from is here:

http://www.lan.st/showthread.php?t=1534

Here is the full post if you are too lazy to check the thread.

Not quite a surprise but I rather make it official, after much reflexion Alex decided to go on with the M33 project, although you should not expect as regular updates as there used to be, for instance the M33 will be updated to future kernels only when believed necessary, thus no 3.72M33 planned (we are waiting on future official firmwares and keep improving M33's features from now on.)
About the releases you should either check the m33 website, exophase.com, the m@xconsole forums, Dark_Alex's website or the lan.st forums, or any other news site you see fit (although the previous ones are likely the ones that are getting update the sooner)

If you have any improvements idea feel free to notice us about those, also if you wish to participate actively in M33 and wish to share code to the project, you shall allways contact us (or at least me by mail at [email protected] (checked daily) if you have any trouble in contacting Alex)

Cheers

(Yes, I deliberately avoided the filter. That filter really needs to go.)

Why the other useful information was left out, I have no idea :)

Cloudy

kjetil1991
November 19th, 2007, 08:51
hm since i started playing homebrew dax was hacking the psp to make it easyer for those who dident have homebrew

V3N0M
November 19th, 2007, 09:22
Thanks for the info Cloudy! I figured by now he would have already figured it out. It's a shame he doesn't want to develop it further.. Hopefully he'll come back to it someday. But their reasons for not doing so are understandable and it's really not a big deal having two versions of everything for 1.5 & 3.XX kernels.

The only thing is this still puts PSP Slim owners at a disadvantage only being able to run 3.XX items whereas PSP Phat owners can run both kernels. But I guess the N00bz Homebrew Loader is a decent solution to this problem. We'll have to wait and see what happens in the future..

Murdock
November 19th, 2007, 10:00
They already can. They just decided not to release it. See the post from Mathieulh here

http://www.lan.st/showpost.php?p=9115&postcount=3

By the way, the original forum thread which this news is stolen from is here:

http://www.lan.st/showthread.php?t=1534

Here is the full post if you are too lazy to check the thread.

(Yes, I deliberately avoided the filter. That filter really needs to go.)

Why the other useful information was left out, I have no idea :)

Cloudy

Okay ... here are my 2 cents to this discussion:

1. It is good to hear that Dark Alex is STILL not leaving the scene ... but is this a surprise? NO! Neither he nor the M33 team EVER planned to stop developing CFWs ... they just threatened ppl. to leave. Why? To mute ppl. criticizing them PERIOD ... this is in no way disrespect concerning their work, they do and always did an excelent jop. I think that's not arguable. But some of their comments on certain things that have happened have made me think and I got a more critical view of their behaviour. I doubt that's sth. negative.

2. Tey could implement the 1.5 kernel into the CFW for the Slim PSP and they don't do it? :rolleyes: yeah sure ... I mean they name a few reasons, but is that really the point? I mean atm there is pretty much nothing they could work on that could improve their CFWs any more than a working 1.5 kernel, but they basically say "it's too much work" ... COME ON! U guys still believe in th Easter Rabbit and Santa?

Maybe to counter Mathieulh's argument that developers should have changed from 1.5 kernel development to 3.xx dev ... what about those "completed" or even abandoned projects no1 works on? There are zillions of good hombrew projects that are actually working(, but still have some bugs, though) and their devs have stopped coding. Like the Duke Nukem 3d port, just to name one. I think w/o a working 1.5 kernel for the slim, you'll never see such homebrews on the slim ... therefore, I think this "it's the coders fault" argument is pure nonesense! Sorry, but true!

3. anyway, to come back to the real topic, I think it's still very good news that Dark Alex declared that he keeps working on CFWs ... not only for us as users, but also because it keeps getting $ony headaches :D

Safari Al
November 19th, 2007, 11:49
what a relief to know he's back :)

Sharpy
November 19th, 2007, 12:15
excellent to hear they're making new firmwares when the time's right, they've always made brilliant work.

DarthPaul
November 19th, 2007, 12:29
U guys still believe in th Easter Rabbit and Santa?

Yeah, and..? :mad:

blaz3d
November 19th, 2007, 12:48
2. Tey could implement the 1.5 kernel into the CFW for the Slim PSP and they don't do it? :rolleyes: yeah sure ... I mean they name a few reasons, but is that really the point? I mean atm there is pretty much nothing they could work on that could improve their CFWs any more than a working 1.5 kernel, but they basically say "it's too much work" ... COME ON! U guys still believe in th Easter Rabbit and Santa?

Maybe to counter Mathieulh's argument that developers should have changed from 1.5 kernel development to 3.xx dev ... what about those "completed" or even abandoned projects no1 works on? There are zillions of good hombrew projects that are actually working(, but still have some bugs, though) and their devs have stopped coding. Like the Duke Nukem 3d port, just to name one. I think w/o a working 1.5 kernel for the slim, you'll never see such homebrews on the slim ... therefore, I think this "it's the coders fault" argument is pure nonesense! Sorry, but true!

im sorry but your totally wrong. recompalation is incredibly easy(Ahman ported snes9x-tyl to 3.xx), thats why zx81 makes releases for 1.5 & 3.xx versions,an update to 3.xx would allow the extra RAM to be used in the slim and would allow for the use of WEP on wireless access points on any psp, which in my opnion is the biggest reason for moving any project to the newer kernals.

but yeah back on topic, viva la DAX!

nukester
November 19th, 2007, 13:38
is there a way to change where the psx games save

Cloudhunter
November 19th, 2007, 13:41
is there a way to change where the psx games save

No. And don't derail the thread with questions thanks.

Cloudy

mike_jmg
November 19th, 2007, 14:20
It's good to know that furute official firmwares will have their custom counterparts, yeah!

It will be great if they could put 1.5 kernel on the slim, mostly because I'm still planing to get one (someday :P) and all my friends are getting one, at last I'm gonna be able to play adhoc more often

I'm freakin hokage rank and have "0" battles.... lol

sammiesosa#1
November 19th, 2007, 17:40
it's on and strong again.

mikebeaver
November 19th, 2007, 17:53

Apparently the 3.xx Kernel runs stuff quicker, so it would be better to all move towards that eventually, instead of sticking with an old and outdated firmware( 1.50).

Mike..

Buddy4point0
November 19th, 2007, 19:54
nice to know that he will still be making more firmwares in the future.
3.72 didnt really add anything over 3.71 exept those changes in remote play.
and we can do those manually.

i think you should make an autopatcher for the 3.72 ps3 remote play thing though, that would help alot of people

V3N0M
November 19th, 2007, 19:57
Apparently the 3.xx Kernel runs stuff quicker, so it would be better to all move towards that eventually, instead of sticking with an old and outdated firmware( 1.50).

Mike..

Yeah, I've heard that it seems to be more efficient.. I'm curious what the complete Pro's and Con's are to each kernel?

Because if that is the case I may need to update anything that has a 3.XX kernel version. So I guess the only benefit of making the 1.5 kernel accessible on PSP Slim's would be the backwards compatibility with older homebrew projects that only have a 1.5 kernel version.

looks like things are going back to being complicated again! :thumbup::rofl: I'm just glad I also have a PSP Phat which can run both kernels. The PSP Slim can only run 3.XX kernels and projects specifically designed for the PSP Slim with extra RAM & TV Out features in mind.

SSaxdude
November 20th, 2007, 01:19
This is very good news.

Murdock
November 20th, 2007, 07:15
im sorry but your totally wrong.

I somehow doubt that ... :o

recompalation is incredibly easy(Ahman ported snes9x-tyl to 3.xx), thats why zx81 makes releases for 1.5 & 3.xx versions

This statement is only valid IF the source code is available ... if the hombrew does not come with the source ... try to recompile it ... :rofl: u c? I can't be THAT wrong ...

,an update to 3.xx would allow the extra RAM to be used in the slim and would allow for the use of WEP on wireless access points on any psp, which in my opnion is the biggest reason for moving any project to the newer kernals.

Well ... first of all, not every homebrew can take advantage of the extra RAM .. sure, 90 % of them would, but since I was talking about completed or abandoned homebrew, this argument seems kinda misplaced here ... :rolleyes:

Cloudhunter
November 20th, 2007, 08:09
...but since I was talking about completed or abandoned homebrew, this argument seems kinda misplaced here ... :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, most major emulators have been updated for 3.xx kernel, and I have every faith in eloader improving. Also, the Utopia project is being developed - which will be good when it is released, as it may obsolete Sony firmware's as homebrew firmware's - and lead to even more memory being available.

There's not many useful non-updated app's that can't be replaced. If you ask me, the best thing to do would be to email the authors asking for the source so you can port it.

Cloudy

ice_storme
November 20th, 2007, 11:39
I'm happy to hear Dark_AleX isn't leaving the scene. I mean, what would we do without of his Custom Firmwares? Sure there is _HellDashX_ with his CFW v3.27HX-2, but has anyone tried it? I have and all I can say is it is total junk. The build quality isn't nowhere near upto par with Dark_AleX/M33's CFWs. Hell, the v1.50 kernel addon for _HellDashX_ 's CFW is totally dependent on a previous install of M33 v3.71 CFW. What kinda crap is that? Oh, and P.O.P.S. on v3.72HX-2, Psh... Don't even get me started. Anyways, to make this rant short and get back on topic of Dark_AleX, I'm just glad to hear that he will continue development on the CFW projects. Thank you Dark_Alex.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Murdock
November 20th, 2007, 16:54
In all seriousness, most major emulators have been updated for 3.xx kernel, and I have every faith in eloader improving.

If you only need emulators .. then u r right ... as I said, and I'll repeat myself one last time, abandoned projects won't be ported to 3.xx kernel use ... NEVER! and without the support for 1.5 kernel on 3.7x CFWs, they'll be lost since s/o really releases sth. new ... utopia maybe?

Also, the Utopia project is being developed - which will be good when it is released - it may obsolete Sony firmware's as homebrew firmware's - and lead to even more memory being available.

cloudy

What da f... is utopia? All I have read about it are rumours ... nothing concrete! So u wanna tell me to rely on ppl. I don't know (personally) and on rumours ... basically to relys on a ghost? nah ... I'd rather wish M33 would do what is, as they say, possible and implement 1.5 kernel support into 3.71 CFW ... eventhough it is hard work .. but I think it'd be appreciated, as all their work from the majority of CFW users.
There's not many useful non-updated app's that can't be replaced. If you ask me, the best thing to do would be to email the authors asking for the source so you can port it.

superfly
November 21st, 2007, 06:54
WHOOO!!! GO DA!!!!! lol

Cloudhunter
November 21st, 2007, 08:34
If you only need emulators .. then u r right ... as I said, and I'll repeat myself one last time, abandoned projects won't be ported to 3.xx kernel use ... NEVER! and without the support for 1.5 kernel on 3.7x CFWs, they'll be lost since s/o really releases sth. new ... utopia maybe?

Name one abandoned project that you couldn't live without.

Also, you're forgetting what I said, even though you accidentally included it at the bottom of your post.

"If you ask me, the best thing to do would be to email the authors asking for the source so you can port it."

There's a chance the authors of these "abandoned" projects will pass the code onto someone else to port to the latest kernel.

Also, eLoader is probably still being developed, which should help run these programs. I have complete faith in the Noobz team.

What da f... is utopia? All I have read about it are rumours ... nothing concrete! So u wanna tell me to rely on ppl. I don't know (personally) and on rumours ... basically to relys on a ghost?

You'd be surprised how many well known people are working on it. You'll know about it in due time.

nah ... I'd rather wish M33 would do what is, as they say, possible and implement 1.5 kernel support into 3.71 CFW ... eventhough it is hard work .. but I think it'd be appreciated, as all their work from the majority of CFW users.

Personally, I want them to do it too - especially as I'm getting a PSP Slim for Christmas. However, crying about it isn't going to get any of us anywhere.

Cloudy

Lodis
November 21st, 2007, 14:03
I'm happy to hear Dark_AleX isn't leaving the scene. I mean, what would we do without of his Custom Firmwares? Sure there is _HellDashX_ with his CFW v3.27HX-2, but has anyone tried it? I have and all I can say is it is total junk. The build quality isn't nowhere near upto par with Dark_AleX/M33's CFWs. Hell, the v1.50 kernel addon for _HellDashX_ 's CFW is totally dependent on a previous install of M33 v3.71 CFW. What kinda crap is that? Oh, and P.O.P.S. on v3.72HX-2, Psh... Don't even get me started. Anyways, to make this rant short and get back on topic of Dark_AleX, I'm just glad to hear that he will continue development on the CFW projects. Thank you Dark_Alex.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sounds like you haven't learnt alot from past events. If Dark Alex did actually leave and HellDash continued to develop and improve his Custom firmware I bet you would be using it and I bet you would not label it as junk. Can you do better than what HellDash has accomplished?

Eitherway, I will never disrespect any Psp Dev by calling their work ''total junk'', I will only offer constructive criticism.

The fact is, HellDash's work is at an early stage and he is still learning.

Murdock
November 21st, 2007, 18:53
Eitherway, I will never disrespect any Psp Dev by calling their work ''total junk'', I will only offer constructive criticism.

The fact is, HellDash's work is at an early stage and he is still learning.

Good point! I admit I was thinking "why is he doing this new CFW ... there's no use for it and probably 99 % of the ppl (including me) will stay with the M33 CFW" ... but yes, this guys is practicing his skills and moreover produces sth. pretty usefull while doing so ... so eventhough it might not be as good as M33 releases, it is not bad work ... and surely NOT junk!

So every coder who is trying to get a CFW working should be encouraged. No matter whether or not his CFW is usefull for the majority of us ... amybe it's just NOT YET usefull for us ... but later releases might be!